154 posts
  • 16 / 16
 by ramsman34
3 hours 46 minutes ago
 Total posts:   9055  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

So do they have to designate “to return” right when they put them on IR? Or can they wait and see for a few weeks? I would think they can put as many as they want in IR but once that player has missed 4 games, then they must either designate to return or season ending IR. But I really don’t know. It’s Very confusing.

by ramsman34
3 hours 45 minutes ago
 Total posts:   9055  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

And can you believe injuries and the IR list is one of the main topics we all discus. Ugh

by Elvis
2 hours 36 minutes ago
 Total posts:   39550  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

ramsman34 wrote:So do they have to designate “to return” right when they put them on IR? Or can they wait and see for a few weeks? I would think they can put as many as they want in IR but once that player has missed 4 games, then they must either designate to return or season ending IR. But I really don’t know. It’s Very confusing.

This from AP:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-injured- ... 9eea255a5d

If a player is placed on this list before the regular season begins, he could miss the entire season unless — per a rules adjustment this year — they are designated to return during the roster cutdown to 53 players after training camp. Teams can designate up to two such players to return.

Players on IR need to miss a minimum of four games. NFL teams can designate up to eight players to return from IR during the regular season (and up to 10 if they make the postseason) and an individual player can be so designated twice.

Players designated for return from IR before the season count against a team’s eight- or 10-player limit.

When a player is cleared to practice, a 21-day window begins and the player must be activated to the 53-man roster or be placed on season-ending injured reserve at the conclusion of that three-week period. They could also be released or traded.

Still not 100% clear to me if you have to designate a player to return when putting them on IR or whether you can wait and see how it goes, who else gets hurt, etc.

A player has to miss at least 4 games but it can be longer, depends when they're cleared for practice...

by Elvis
2 hours 23 minutes ago
 Total posts:   39550  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

This makes it sound like you put a player on IR and then decide later whether they'll be designated to return:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/6/2 ... 024-season

After four games, a player may be designated to return, which opens a 21-day window during which they can attend practices but are still not counted on the active roster. If they are not activated to the roster during this period, they must remain on IR for the rest of the season.

• 16 / 16
154 posts Sep 20 2024