134 posts
  • 11 / 14
 by ramsman34
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8677  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

aeneas1 wrote:it's such a "real thing" that you often read about enormously talented qbs who had their nfl careers sabotaged because they simply couldn't figure out how to take a snap and drop back, it's been an epidemic for years, in fact i think sports illustrated did a cover story on the subject not too long ago, yeah right.

meanwhile, back on planet earth, through week 3 - percentage of passes thrown out of the shotgun vs from under center:

VirtualBox_2018-09-25_21-49-58.png

The FACT that Goff is doing both shogun and under center at close to the same rate, and absolutely killing it, just destroys the entire notion that his college system had any negative effect on him whatsoever.

Thanks for the stats A, as usual.

by ramsman34
5 years 9 months ago

one more thing: look at the shotgun vs under center disparity when comparing the Rams to almost the entire rest of the NFL. Do you think that gives us an advantage? Especially when it comes to defenses getting comfortable with what they see and in being unpredictable. We have the best O in the league and we are far more "balanced" shotgun vs under center than 30 other teams.

That's not a coincidence.

by aeneas1
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Exactly. They are tasked to be proficient from under center and at turning their back to the D for that split instant. Yet we (and many teams) also run play action with the QB facing the D. My main argument was that as a physical skill, taking a snap from center is a relatively easy thing to learn and master. And, more importantly, that Goff was not remotely hindered by playing in a spread system in college.

yep, of course it's an easy "skill" to master, so is taking a 7-step drop, to argue that they are some sort of uniquely difficult athletic feats, that have laid waste to the would-be careers of extremely talented college qbs entering the nfl, who just couldn't master them, is flat-out laughable.

by /zn/
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6807  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

I have to admit with some amusement that I lost what this subthread was about.

No one said that Goff would be unable to play in the NFL because of taking snaps under center. Someone SAID others said it, but no one said it. In the discussion it was said several times that qbs from many different systems had to adapt to taking snaps and by now so many have done it, I;m surprised anyone thinks there's something to debate.

Yet people are still arguing about it, as if there were something to debate about this.

And in reverse, the idea that he like so many NFL qbs who didn't in college CAN play under center is then taken as proof of something? I mean at this point, how many good NFL qbs did not play under center in college? And so what does being ABLE to do it prove? It's commonplace.

It's just one of the things qbs adapt to in the NFL. Shrug. There's no one who says otherwise.

by ramsman34
5 years 9 months ago

aeneas1 wrote:yep, of course it's an easy "skill" to master, so is taking a 7-step drop, to argue that they are some sort of uniquely difficult athletic feats, that have laid waste to the would-be careers of extremely talented college qbs entering the nfl, who just couldn't master them, is flat-out laughable.

Agree completely.

by ramsman34
5 years 9 months ago

Dick84 wrote:Oh... I'm sorry... I guess this is a "fury"?

Just tackling the nonsense about "air raid" qbs having problems in the nfl.... and how it's a total myth.

Let me put a finer point on it.... *that* college system doesn't make it any more difficult for a QB to transition to the NFL than any other. As with any QB prospect... his coach on the NFL level will be much, much more important to his success.

THIS is the most salient point. It MATTERS who your coach is and it MATTERS how they utilize "their" QBs talents. there is a reason the NFL is sloooooly coming around to more college concepts...BC that's their farm system.

Smart coaches adapt to players, surround themselves with incredible fellow coaches, and they all systematically teach players more and greater concepts.

Dumb coaches spend a lot of time fishing in Montana.

by /zn/
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:yep, of course it's an easy "skill" to master, so is taking a 7-step drop, to argue that they are some sort of uniquely difficult athletic feats, that have laid waste to the would-be careers of extremely talented college qbs entering the nfl, who just couldn't master them, is flat-out laughable.

Enh. Strawman. There's no one in existence saying the things you're adamantly confronting.

Adapting from an Air Raid to a pro system does not reduce to 2 things.

And no one said those 2 things were "uniquely difficult athletic feats."

Honestly, you're fighting over nothing.

This particular sub-discussion began because I pointed out NO ONE said that taking snaps from center would be a problem for Goff.

Now you;re acting as if someone did say that. It's just wasted energy.

by aeneas1
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

excerpts from an interview with goff's oc at cal....

---------------------------------------

"The big thing in the NFL is getting lucky with getting a coach that actually knows what they're doing," Franklin said. "He got fortunate they hired McVay."

"When you look around the league and you see people, they constantly make excuses," Franklin said. "It gets really old. 'He played in this; he played in that.' Ninety-nine percent of the time, they have no idea what they're talking about, no clue. They talk about our offense and say, 'He never went through a read progression.' That's all we do. That's all Jared did from the time he got" to Cal.

"The guys that don't do it (learn/adapt) are the guys that are going to die as dinosaurs," Franklin said. Patriots Coach Bill Belichick "just goes and learns; that's why he goes on to win every year. All these other guys just kind of switch jobs and continue to lose every year."

Last year under Fisher, Franklin said, Goff played in "a true, old-school, NFL-style offense. Everything is slow. There is no rhythm changes. Everything is about not losing a game rather than winning a game. Incredibly conservative."

In Week 1, Franklin saw McVay use tempo to prevent the Colts from substituting and allow Goff to call plays at the line based on what the defense showed. McVay employed play-action passes that simplified Goff's decisions. He encouraged Goff to throw deep. Most of all, he designed an attack meant to emphasize Goff's strengths rather than stifle his weaknesses.

"They know what they're doing," Franklin said. "They know how to do it. They know how to play to his strengths. I think he's going to be a really good football player because he's got a really good coaching staff."

by R4L
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:Enh. Strawman. There's no one in existence saying the things you're adamantly confronting.

Adapting from an Air Raid to a pro system does not reduce to 2 things.

And no one said those 2 things were "uniquely difficult athletic feats."

Honestly, you're fighting over nothing.

This particular sub-discussion began because I pointed out NO ONE said that taking snaps from center would be a problem for Goff.

Now you;re acting as if someone did. It's just wasted energy.

YOU said it. Many many times.

by /zn/
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:I can see where Peter could be considered a head case. He certainly loves to draw attention to himself. Me not We'ish..
His play on the field is important too, , and that has been pretty good (bomb Sunday for a TD not withstanding) .. I'm all about fielding a dominant team which Peters can help achieve. So as long as he doesn't become a distraction (which we should know by the end of the year) I'd lock him up. (not jail)

I;m with you on this. Peters would be a good longterm investment, but then part of what comes with him is at least the possibility that he's not a culture fit. That might be real, it might not. Certainly he comes with a bit of baggage so eyes are going to be on him. The idea is that the Rams can handle him, but still those questions will linger for a while, even if they're in the background. Either way IF he does stupid stuff there will be different opinions about whether or not or how much it matters. If there's a questionable action here or there some will care, some won't as much, and reasonable people can have honest differences about that.

• 11 / 14
134 posts Jul 03 2024