191 posts
  • 2 / 20
 by /zn/
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   6803  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I can't see the point of using your first round pick to take a LOT just because you're in such a hurry to replace one of the key performers on the whole team. Whitworth is not dead, yet, so why the rush to bury him?

Run defense has to be a top priority. A run stopper in the front seven would be a target for round 1 in my book.

Just speaking straight to the realistic issues involved, no one is "in a hurry" to replace anyone.

But if you're NOT planning for the future with a 37 year old LOT, then, you're just being neglectful.

The real issue is this. You want a left OT, it's 1st or 2nd round, or the odds are massively against you. And they will be wanting a left OT sooner rather than later.

The ideal situation is to have a guy behind Whitworth ready to take over when the time comes. That way he's learning before he starts...which, again, will be sooner rather than later.

Meanwhile, your odds of finding CBs, NTs, and/or outside edge rushers are FAR better in rounds 3-5 than they are for finding a genuine starting caliber left OT in those rounds.

Heck since 2012 the Rams have come up with a long list of good to even very good DBs (safeties and corners both). In that time span they have yet to use a 1st round pick on one. For that matter, of the many they have come up with, only 2 (Jenkins and Joyner) were even 2nd rounders.

by RamsFanSince82
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:How do we know if he’s BPA when Rams pick? Also... who on here doesn’t think DL is a need?

If there’s a Corner with the same draft grade, which one do you think they’d draft?
The Corner... because the need is *greater.

Lol. You sure are making a lot of comments about things I never said.

I ONLY said I think the Rams should draft BPA. That could be a DL, CB, OLB, or possibly a OL (but I would prefer DL, or CB).

I never said people on this site said DL wasn't a need.

I don't know if this guy that I pasted the tweet for will be the BPA in the first round. I wasn't directly or indirectly saying I want the Rams to draft this guy. I saw the tweet today and I thought it could/would be an interesting option and thought other people on the site would be interested in reading about him, and/or checking out his youtube videos.

I don't really have any strong opinions yet on who the Rams should draft. It obviously depends on what they do in free agency, and of course players draft stock can change a lot based on the combine, and their pro day workouts.

by /zn/
6 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

RamsFanSince82 wrote:Lol. You sure are making a lot of comments about things I never said.

I ONLY said I think the Rams should draft BPA. That could be a DL, CB, OLB, or possibly a OL (but I would prefer DL, or CB).

I never said people on this site said DL wasn't a need.

I don't know if this guy that I pasted the tweet for will be the BPA in the first round. I wasn't directly or indirectly saying I want the Rams to draft this guy. I saw the tweet today and I thought it could/would be an interesting option and thought other people on the site would be interested in reading about him, and/or checking out his youtube videos.

I don't really have any strong opinions yet on who the Rams should draft. It obviously depends on what they do in free agency, and of course players draft stock can change a lot based on the combine, and their pro day workouts.

IMO it's all arguing about minor differences, really.

The top picks available at pick 23 will not be graded so differently that it will matter much. I mean unless Lawrence Taylor or Bruce Smith falls to 23.

Assuming there are LOT picks worthy of the 23...and there usually are...the Rams could call it a need pick if they wanted or they could call it a BPA if they wanted. It wouldn't matter either way. All Rams picks factor in the usual combo of need plus fit plus value for the spot. It is more than likely that a left OT will meet all those criteria, and no one in the universe except the Rams brass would ever know if he was graded 0.3 points lower or higher than another guy from another position who was available at that pick.

by Elvis
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I'm much more interested in players that can help me now than those who might help me later.

There's not a lot of sitting around waiting your turn in today's NFL, rookies often contribute right away. Rosters are small, rookie contracts are short and you're not gonna be able to keep all of your best rookies when their contracts come up. The long game is a lot shorter than it used to be.

Oline was supposed to be a weakness coming into 2017 but two aging FA's and 3 guys already on the roster later, it's a strength.

So this idea that we need to use our first round pick who, like every first round pick, may or may not pan out on our future LT isn't very compelling to me. Then again, if someone's there we love, great. But i'd say that for just about every position...

by RamsFanSince82
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:IMO it's all arguing about minor differences, really.

The top picks available at pick 23 will not be graded so differently that it will matter much. I mean unless Lawrence Taylor or Bruce Smith falls to 23.

Assuming there are LOT picks worthy of the 23...and there usually are...the Rams could call it a need pick if they wanted or they could call it a BPA if they wanted. It wouldn't matter either way. All Rams picks factor in the usual combo of need plus fit plus value for the spot. It is more than likely that a left OT will meet all those criteria, and no one in the universe except the Rams brass would ever know if he was graded 0.3 points lower or higher than another guy from another position who was available at that pick.

Why did you quote my comment?

by dieterbrock
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Sorry, that’s just silly and not an accurate depiction of BPA as a draft philosophy.

Of course it is. When you are trading as much as the Rams did to move up, it’s because the highest rated player on their board can only be gotten that way.
Even so, it’s a different subject than the argument of need vs bpa at a draft position.

by /zn/
6 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:So this idea that we need to use our first round pick who, like every first round pick, may or may not pan out on our future LT isn't very compelling to me. Then again, if someone's there we love, great. But i'd say that for just about every position...

He could be their present LT. You don't account for that possibility and you're not being realistic.

LT's are 10 year players. You get em when you can. Unless you want a deficient line again. They lucked out by getting one of the few good LOTs who ever became a free agent. That's unlikely to ever happen again.

And of course the real issue with LOT is this. Lose your LOT and who's next? Obviously the qb...either that or with no solid LOT you cut your offense back so you don't expose the qb.

Good planning accounts for that. If Whit is out sooner than expected because of an injury, I wouldn't want to be the one saying "thats' okay we;ll protect the qb next year if we can draft a decent LOT then....."

by PARAM
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12304  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:I dont know where you come up with this stuff.

LOL. You know where.

by Will0120
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1179  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

Let me respond the OP's question regarding D. Williams as the #1 back up tackle and his performance though.

You really don't need PFF or any other metrics to know that HE FREAKING STINKS. It's called the eyeball test and I have seen enough. The thought of him being a starting OT for us sickens me. Trust me on this one.

I will gladly come back to eat crow if he one day develops into a starting caliber OT (left or right).

by Elvis
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

/zn/ wrote:LT's are 10 year players. You get em when you can. Unless you want a deficient line again. They lucked out by getting one of the few good LOTs who ever became a free agent. That's unlikely to ever happen again.

Luck or maybe bad analysis on your part.

The Rams spent the 1st pick in the 2nd round on Saffold, a #2 overall on Jason Smith and another #2 overall on Greg Robinson, and not a long term LT in the bunch.

The Rams simply don't need to take a LT in the first round especially considering they already have their starter...

• 2 / 20
191 posts Jun 17 2024