43 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by SteakandEggs
7 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   133  
United States of America   Long Beach
Practice Squad

RedAlice wrote:Though, I think I also read on here that Demoff's father is Kyle's agent. So, guess the same way that worked for Fisher.....

Interesting. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Perhaps that kind of relationship led to Fisher being given too long of a leash.

by aeneas1
7 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

here's a look at kyle shanahan's work as offensive coordinator....

houston:
it appears team kubiak/sherman were doing just fine turning that offense around the year before shanahan arrived, 2007 was a huge improvement over 2006, and they did it despite andre johnson missing half of the season and schaub missing a third of the season... seems to me that moving on from carr was the catalyst for houston.

washington:
shanahan didn't do much in washington as far as i can tell, other than being at the right place, at the right time, when rg3 had a lights out rookie season... beyond that 1-year aberration the washington offense wasn't any more productive under shanahan than it it had been before his arrival.

cleveland:
didn't have an impact.

atlanta:
2016 has been a tremendous offensive year for the falcons but, frankly, the team wasn't an offensive slouch before shanahan's arrival, nor was ryan a diamond in the rough waiting for the right oc to come along and make him elite.

02.png

by HighRoller
7 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   291  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

All this is about how great an offensive coordinator Kyle has become. He is talented thats for sure.

None of this is a given on how he could be as a HC. Its the risk one takes at this juncture. Grab his offensive skills by offering him a HC job and hope he is as good in the new position. Sooooooo many coordinators have gone this path and failed. At this point, what choice do we have?

If we are going to grab a coordinator, this may be the one at the top of the list.

by aeneas1
7 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

HighRoller wrote:All this is about how great an offensive coordinator Kyle has become. He is talented thats for sure.

is he tho? i don't see anything in his oc resume that shows him taking over a god awful offense and turning it around, nor do i see anything in his resume that points to turning around a bad offense and maintaining the turnaround for at least a few years... sure, atlanta's offense is off the hook smoking this season, but it was already a very talented offense led by very talented skill position players, perhaps it was just due... anyway i'm not seeing the impressive offensive mind that others seem to be seeing, at least not in his resume...

by RedAlice
7 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:is he tho? i don't see anything in his oc resume that shows him taking over a god awful offense and turning it around, nor do i see anything in his resume that points to turning around a bad offense and maintaining the turnaround for at least a few years... sure, atlanta's offense is off the hook smoking this season, but it was already a very talented offense led by very talented skill position players, perhaps it was just due... anyway i'm not seeing the impressive offensive mind that others seem to be seeing.

Who is your first choice?

From the names I've seen, Harbaugh is my first choice. But, he's not coming. I've seen both good and bad re: Gruden. But, I also don't believe he's coming.

Next up seem to be Kyle and McD. McD I believe will be 4 more years of hell under a little narcisst.

by Elvis
7 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Will0120 wrote:
This article definitely makes me feel even better for Kyle as a potential HC candidate. However, I already knew that he had a lot of success with calling the plays. What I really want to know is, how is he going to be a good HC whiling calling plays, drafting the right players, picking up the right free agents, and leading the team all at the same time?

We've seen enough OC's/DC's go from great playcallers to crappy HC's (see Spags and Linehan), I just hope that we make sure that Kyle is going to be a success story!

That's one of the things that makes Shanahan good, he comes with his dad who does know the business and HC side of things.

We've seen pretty much every way a coaching hire can fail, and nothing's a sure thing but i'm pretty excited about the possibility of Kyle Shanahan...

by PARAM
7 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12304  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:is he tho? i don't see anything in his oc resume that shows him taking over a god awful offense and turning it around, nor do i see anything in his resume that points to turning around a bad offense and maintaining the turnaround for at least a few years... sure, atlanta's offense is off the hook smoking this season, but it was already a very talented offense led by very talented skill position players, perhaps it was just due... anyway i'm not seeing the impressive offensive mind that others seem to be seeing, at least not in his resume...

I like him better than McDaniels but Shanny isn't the only viable option IMHO. Who's on your list?

by aeneas1
7 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I totally appreciate the observation and believe I get your point.
My counter would be to say that he's been successful in different situations with different types of talents.
Throwing out the RG3 year and not acknowledging that they also built the offense around his skills is a disservice.
It's easier to totally screw something up than it is to get even moderate improvement in the NFL on offense.
Atlanta was really good last season on offense.. they're flat-out devastating this year.

I feel better about Shanahan and the questions surrounding him than I am with pretty much all the other candidates, to be honest.

i hear ya, wasn't my intention to bust on kyle, it's that i just don't see a track record of making bad offenses good when i look at his resume, which is clearly what the rams need, instead i see a guy who landed in a couple of nice sitches (houston and atlanta), and a bad sitch that he couldn't fix (cleveland)... washington and rg3? can't marginalize the job he did with rg3 in 2012, but i would be much more impressed had he followed up that season with something, anything, rather than the same offensive production washington saw prior to his arrival, i.e. poor... anyway, again, i just don't see a resume that screams accomplishment, track record, or taking a crappy offense and making it among the league's best.

that said, i would much rather the rams go with kyle than josh, i just can't get past mcdaniels' personality, nor am i convinced he's matured, at least not to the point where i can see him successfully running an entire team.

anyway, personally, i would love to see the rams land shaw, for many reasons, not the least of which he's a winner, has been around winners his entire life, has run an entire team, and he's first and foremost an offensive guy... but that appears to be a pipe dream, the light chatter linking him to the rams died out pretty quickly.

• 2 / 5
43 posts Jun 17 2024