8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by max
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5596  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Just watched it on NFLC, A football life.

Very informative. Gives you a lot of insight into what moving a team is all about, and you can see some of the lessons learned that the NFL is applying to the move to LA.

The Browns had a great fan base of very passionate fans, yet the NFL still allowed the move.

If/when the Rams announce the move, I don't see the STL folks ripping out seats and throwing them on the field, actually I don't see them even showing up to the last home game.

Also, it was said that Art Model was nowhere to be found in Cleveland in 1995. Sound familiar?

Anyone think Spanos and Davis will not be seen at their home games this year?

by den-the-coach
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

max wrote:

Depends on how it plays out and I think you'll see Davis there quite often just like Daddy did! I concur Max I don't see the St. Louis fans acting like the Cleveland fans and I still believe their end game (Peacock & Blitz) was always Khan and the Jaguars. In the end if the Rams are back in Los Angeles, San Diego & Oakland stay and the Jags move to St. Louis and are renamed the Stallions for example, IMO, everybody is happy and the NFL has the two expansion teams they wanted in the 90's in Carolina & St. Louis!

by BuiltRamTough
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

den-the-coach wrote:
max wrote:

Depends on how it plays out and I think you'll see Davis there quite often just like Daddy did! I concur Max I don't see the St. Louis fans acting like the Cleveland fans and I still believe there end game (Peacock & Blitz) was always Khan and the Jaguars. In the end if the Rams are back in Los Angeles, San Diego & Oakland stay and the Jags move to St. Louis and are renamed the Stallions for example, IMO, everybody is happy and the NFL has the two expansion teams they wanted in the 90's in Carolina & St. Louis!

Den, I wish you were the commissioner of the NFL!

by den-the-coach
9 years 2 months ago
Veteran

BuiltRamTough wrote:Den, I wish you were the commissioner of the NFL!

by max
9 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

den-the-coach wrote:
max wrote:

Depends on how it plays out and I think you'll see Davis there quite often just like Daddy did! I concur Max I don't see the St. Louis fans acting like the Cleveland fans and I still believe their end game (Peacock & Blitz) was always Khan and the Jaguars. In the end if the Rams are back in Los Angeles, San Diego & Oakland stay and the Jags move to St. Louis and are renamed the Stallions for example, IMO, everybody is happy and the NFL has the two expansion teams they wanted in the 90's in Carolina & St. Louis!

Good stuff, den.

That plan would certainly right those wrongs.

It's weird to think there will be a team in Jax, and no team in SD and Oak. Just doesn't seem right to me at all.

by den-the-coach
9 years 2 months ago
Veteran

max wrote:
It's weird to think there will be a team in Jax, and no team in SD and Oak. Just doesn't seem right to me at all.

I still can't believe the NFL will go with the Carson project. Especially with posters that are close to that area and report how bad that area is. In the end I am hopeful that everything will work itself out because it would be a shame if the Inglewood project does not come to fruition.

by Hacksaw
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Amen to that den.

Max you bring up a good point about the fans in Cleveland and how they compare to the fans in St Louis,, and more so what the NFL did regardless. I'm sure Art Modell is higher ranking in the Old Boys Club compared to Stan but again your point is about owners priority. it was 1995 though and the NFL world was a completely different place..

by max
9 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

It's hard for me to stay objective in all this, but I can't help believing that Kroenke is running this show behind closed doors.

Kroenke has always been a doer. Spanos has always been a waffler. To think that now that the waffler will trump the doer just goes against the grain of how big business works.

Here is Spanos still waffling by talking to SD today, while Kroenke is totally focused on LA. I just don't see how it's possible that in reality the Carson project is almost caught up to Inglewood. They are ready to start putting shovels in the ground in a few months in Inglewood, and Kroenke has the resources and experience to get that stadium done to play in 2018. There is no way Carson is within a year of that timeline. Even Policy wouldn't say it's possible, but instead said how daunting that task would be and acted like it wasn't a big deal if they weren't ready in 2018. That screams that Carson may not even be ready in 2019.

That means that for Carson to be the choice, the NFL will have to be prepared for both the Chargers and Raiders to play in the Coliseum and Rose Bowl for 4 years, while Kroenke will assure them that Inglewood would only cause a 2 year transition.

Try to visualize the NFL promoting their new crown jewel in LA with both the Chargers and Raiders playing in those old stadiums for 3 or 4 years and the people in SD and Oakland both complaining in the media. It sounds like a PR nightmare to me.

How much smoother, in every facet, is the move for the NFL if it's just the Rams moving back. Are the owners really going to cause these problems for themselves just to satisfy Spanos while stiffing Kroenke? I don't see it.

In the end I see Kroenke moving the Rams to Inglewood but having to make some concessions to Spanos but not giving away the farm.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Sep 07 2024