24 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by moklerman
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

max wrote:
Elvis wrote:I just wonder how much of this intrigue is real and how much is for our entertainment (not to mention leverage for SD and Oak).

SD/Carson is still all PR, press conferences and bold proclamations while Stan is quietly going about his business.

None of us has inside info or knows what's going to happen but just because Carson's mayor is making bold proclamations (scaring the crap out of San Diego, the city), has anything really changed?

I'm not getting lost in that narrative.

I'm approaching this whole thing in terms of what plan is the least palatable to any of the 3 owners.

And the key is the Raiders, they want to stay in Oakland but don't have the funds. If they can get help with a stadium in Oakland, the Carson plan is dead.
And again, if Oakland is willing to share a stadium, why not Santa Clara? That way they keep their current fan base and SoCal can be LA and SD. I haven't seen anyone bring it up but if Oakland leaves(Carson, San Antonio, whatever), the 49ers all of a sudden have double the potential fan base. Why is it okay for SoCal to be split up 3 ways because the Chargers are greedy and in the end, SF winds up with all of NoCal as it's own?

I still don't understand how SD could support the Chargers when the Raiders and Rams were both in LA but now, they can't survive without LA and are going to fuck everything up unless they get what they want and somehow that's okay?

by max
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Spanos reportedly doesn't want to share in Santa Clara. Apparently he wants nothing to do with being 2nd fiddle to the Niners.

by max
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:https://twitter.com/RandyKarraker/status/605775640042729472

Any chance he says, "I am not a crook?"

by moklerman
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Spanos reportedly doesn't want to share in Santa Clara. Apparently he wants nothing to do with being 2nd fiddle to the Niners.
I hadn't really considered that. I was talking about Davis and the Raiders.

by max
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:
max wrote:Spanos reportedly doesn't want to share in Santa Clara. Apparently he wants nothing to do with being 2nd fiddle to the Niners.

Davis definitely wants nothing to do with playing there. His first choice is Oakland, 2nd choice is LA, 3rd choice is probably San Antonio. He doesn't want sloppy 3rds in StL. The only guy who may want StL is Khan.

by moklerman
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:
moklerman wrote:

Davis definitely wants nothing to do with playing there. His first choice is Oakland, 2nd choice is LA, 3rd choice is probably San Antonio. He doesn't want sloppy 3rds in StL. The only guy who may want StL is Khan.
That's what I don't get. Sure, the Raiders and 49ers are regional rivals but does it really matter where he's coat-tailing? In my mind, sharing a stadium with the Chargers would be at least as bad...but should be worse for the Raiders, than sharing a stadium with the 49ers.

Sharing a stadium with the Rams would be the least offensive but that circles us back around to SoCal having 3 teams and NoCal only 1. That's what doesn't fit. 2/2 is how it should be. Which is why I don't understand the Chargers motivation in supposedly sharing Carson. If they share with the Raiders in Carson, they are splitting the SoCal pie 3 ways(assuming Inglewood happens). If they just get something done in SD then there's a chance that SoCal is only split 2 ways. Maybe it still goes to 3 but at least there's a chance that they are only sharing with 1 other team.

Since I don't think Carson is truly viable, 49ers in Santa Clara, Rams in Inglewood and Chargers in San Diego are likely outcomes IMO. The Raiders, I just don't know. Oakland doesn't seem to have the money or interest to build a stadium and St. Louis just doesn't feel right. San Antonio seems eager and would give the Raiders a chance to be in their own stadium, which is what I would strive for if I was the owner.

by max
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

I would think Davis believes the Raiders would have at least as good of a fan base as the Chargers in LA, probably better if you believe some of the polls.

That would not be the case in Santa Clara.

by den-the-coach
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

max wrote:I would think Davis believes the Raiders would have at least as good of a fan base as the Chargers in LA, probably better if you believe some of the polls.

True, but one would surmise that the NFL would put the Raiders on the back burner. Spanos is the old guard and Kroenke has money where Davis is the son of a bitter man that always felt he was sold out on a back room deal that made Pete Rozelle commissioner of the NFL with the merger of the AFL.

In the end I thought Spanos wanted to stay in San Diego, but it appears he feels the windfall is too good in L.A., however, brings nothings to table IMHO besides votes, but that might be enough to get him the seat at the table.

by moklerman
8 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

den-the-coach wrote:
max wrote:I would think Davis believes the Raiders would have at least as good of a fan base as the Chargers in LA, probably better if you believe some of the polls.

True, but one would surmise that the NFL would put the Raiders on the back burner. Spanos is the old guard and Kroenke has money where Davis is the son of a bitter man that always felt he was sold out on a back room deal that made Pete Rozelle commissioner of the NFL with the merger of the AFL.

In the end I thought Spanos wanted to stay in San Diego, but it appears he feels the windfall is too good in L.A., however, brings nothings to table IMHO besides votes, but that might be enough to get him the seat at the table.
If San Diego is willing to spend money to keep him in San Diego, it's hard to imagine the league voting to let him move.

While St. Louis is making an effort to get a stadium deal put together, Stan is willing to foot the bill for the place in Inglewood. That's a big difference between him and all the other proposals. More importantly, in terms of St. Louis, I don't think the owners are going to side with St. Louis when their plan is to take away so much from Kroenke. They want him to give up the sweet lease deal, not benefit from the new stadium and not control the new stadium all while financing a big chunk of it.

• 2 / 3
24 posts May 23 2024