13 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by AltiTude Ram
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2200  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Jerry Jones has what he calls a "natural passion" for Los Angeles.
Speaking to reporters at the league's owners meetings Tuesday addressing the issue of the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers trying to relocate to Los Angeles, the Dallas Cowboys owner explained his affinity for pro football in the City of Angels.
"I'm the favorite son of El Segundo, (Calif.)," Jones said. "I was born in LA, Inglewood. So, I have a natural passion in that I have a lot of relatives that live in Los Angeles."

Though often billed as a native Arkansan, Jones was born in Los Angeles before his family relocated to North Little Rock, Arkansas during his early childhood. And even though he moved over 1,500 miles away from LA, Jones recalls the great history of pro football in Los Angeles.

"I go back to the great traditions of the great Ram teams and certainly Chargers began there," said Jones. "We know the Raiders and Al [Davis] have been a big part of the LA history. All of this says to me that football in LA is natural."

The Rams moved from Cleveland in 1946 and stayed in Los Angeles until 1995 when the club relocated to St. Louis. The Raiders, under the direction of former owner Al Davis, moved away from Oakland to Los Angeles in 1982 where the team stayed for 13 years before going back to Oakland. The Chargers only played their inaugural season of 1960 in Los Angeles before going to San Diego where they have remained ever since.
Still, Jones would love to end the NFL drought in Los Angeles that has now gone on for 20 years.

"From my perspective, I'm going to get it back there stronger and more substantive than it's ever been."
As owner of the Cowboys, Jones would like to see his team play on the road in the entertainment capital of the world. In Jones' 26-year ownership of the Cowboys, the club has only played three games in the Los Angeles area, including Super Bowl XXVII. Dallas has held training camp in nearby Oxnard off and on since 2001.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/stor ... -la-081115

by Hacksaw
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Worked out for JJ. He's a new found happy place.

by kayfabe
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   128  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

Related, here; I guess Jerry spoke up during the owners meeting to emphasize how having a
deep-pocketed owner was what the League needed in LA. And it's really a sign of what I think
has been an ongoing battle between the new money owners in Nintendo and Walmart and Home
Depot and whatever dotcom Dan Snyder is vs. the old money guys like the Hunts and Maras and the
Rooneys and the Davis' and the Spanos'. But it seems the new money is definitely winning out:
there's NFL billionaires and then there's NFL Billionaires with a capital "B"; and the new money owners
are creating a serious owner wealth gap here that's growing wider every year (see: Mark Davis
probably having to sell a part of his team to still be allowed to play in the sandbox and the potential
for ESK to potentially willingly siphon over a good chunk of relo money to fund a stadium in another
city like San Diego, things that would've been unheard of even a few years back). And witness too
the renovations in cities like Atlanta and Washington that have stadiums actually built after EJD
but have been already deemed obsolete by impatient, filthy-rich deep-pocketed owners just like Jerry
who couldn't care less how much money they throw at their stadium and team.

So with that I bring you Jerry Jones, Rams savior:

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015/8/ ... gos-savior

Now we have this video from Jason Cole at Bleacher Report. Cole says that the owners are already starting to form their camps backing one side or the other. Those on team Carson are doing so because they want to take care of the Chargers and Raiders who have outdated stadiums in their current home markets.

Team Inglewood looks like it is being headed by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones who was very vocal (shocking right?) in his support for the Inglewood project. Even getting up during the presentation to make a little speech highlighting the importance of having an owner with deep enough pockets to make this a successful move, and if you have done any research you'll know that far and away means Stan Kroenke.

If you want the Chargers to stay in San Diego, having Jerry Jones backing Kroenke's project is good news. First, Jones is obviously outspoken and passionate, but also has a good amount of influence, and is well respected among the other owners. Second, like I mentioned earlier, the only way the Chargers come back to the negotiating table is if Carson dies, so if the Inglewood plan wins, the team will be back to hash this out. Finally, since the other owners' main reasoning behind backing Carson is to get the Chargers and Raiders into better stadiums, this sets the ground work for possibly moving one of them (Raiders) in as a second tenant in Inglewood, and diverting a large portion of the relocation money paid by Kroenke to help fund a stadium for the other team (Chargers). The reason it is more likely to shake out that way is due to the league's admission yesterday that Oakland has not made a viable offer to the Raiders, while San Diego has made significant progress in putting together a offer to the Chargers.

So, even though Jerry missed out on buying the Chargers about 30 years ago, he will likely still be very important in helping to decide their future. Go team Jerry!

by LoyalRam
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   248  
Rookie

I heard of a report that said Jerry Jones stood up at the owners meeting,out of order, and said the LA Project needs an owner with big pockets to ensure success..I wonder who he might have meant? 8-)

by bubbaramfan
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1118  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

I don't know how much I buy into that "poor Davis, poor Dean" spiel, and they really want to help out the poorer teams. They are about money, and if they think they themselves have to end up shelling out a few bucks they will go with the deeper pockets in the end.

They wouldn't roll their window down to give a homeless vet a dollar, so why would they want to help a fellow owner? These guys all have a "sorry about your bad luck" attitude. Its what made them rich in the first place.

by The Ripper
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   494  
United States of America   Naples, FL
Starter

bubbaramfan wrote:I don't know how much I buy into that "poor Davis, poor Dean" spiel, and they really want to help out the poorer teams. They are about money, and if they think they themselves have to end up shelling out a few bucks they will go with the deeper pockets in the end.

They wouldn't roll their window down to give a homeless vet a dollar, so why would they want to help a fellow owner? These guys all have a "sorry about your bad luck" attitude. Its what made them rich in the first place.

'
It's not necessarily the poorer but Spanos with very little mention of Davis. Goodell in Grubman kept mention certainties and actionable in describing approving a stadium proposal and neither of those words describe the Carson proposal so it wouldn't even be a choice for a stadium if Spanos wasn't involved.

bubbaramfan, thanks for always keeping us up to date on the realities with the Carson site

by willasdad
8 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   51  
Practice Squad

The whole the new and old money owner thing seems to be going on in all professional sports. I hear it played a significant role in pushing David Stern into retirement as his influence had been greatly diminished amongst the NBA owners. Stern had the loyalty and respect of the old school owners as one can say he was responsible to a great degree in increasing the value of each team from millions to hundreds of millions, but not so much the new school owners who bought into the league at the several hundred million dollar rate and weren't likely to appreciate a commissioner telling them what to do with their large investment. I see the same dynamics here and wouldn't be surprised if most of the family-based ownerships who rely on their NFL team as their sole source of income becoming just about obsolete in the NFL within the next 20 years.

• 1 / 2
13 posts Jun 28 2024