7 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by Zen_Ronin
2 weeks 1 hour ago
 Total posts:   2104  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

I see no reason not to keep the tradition going in memory of our gone but, not forgotten friend. There is a surprising lack of Week 1 threads in Lions forums, but will keep this thread updated as the week continues. Feel free to add to it if you come across anything especially salty or cocky. :lol2:

Now, without futher ado...

This probably will be the biggest game of week 1 with all the drama surrounding it. Can’t wait to see Hutch eat Stafford again.

It's crazy how confident I feel for a dub with how good the Rams should be.

One thing about Matthew Stafford is that he is susceptible to throwing INTs to LBs and DBs that stay in the second level of the defense. I still have nightmares about Chad Greenway. Our re-vamped defense might be able to take advantage of that.

My initial thoughts:
1. The Rams offense will be tougher to deal with now that they have a more healthy Cooper Kupp and Puka Nacua going into his second year.
2. I think our D-Line is going to create problems for the Rams. Stafford won't be able to hold the ball too long.
3. The Rams have a few pieces on defense but they are going to have problems slowing down the Lions offense.
4. Welcome back Jonah Jackson. I hope you enjoy having DJ Reader and Alim McNeill in your grill.

It's the pass rush. Rams WRs will get open even if our secondary is highly improved (though that will take a few weeks at least if you ask me). The league is built and designed for pass offenses to succeed. We all know that Stafford is susceptible to pressure (all QBs are), so if we get it, we'll win.

One thing about Matthew Stafford is that he is susceptible to throwing INTs to LBs and DBs that stay in the second level of the defense. I still have nightmares about Chad Greenway. Our re-vamped defense might be able to take advantage of that.

Honestly thing this feels like a loss. With uncertainty of WR room on top of nobody really stepping up as pass rush opposite of Hutch.
There is so much unknown yet about team really so it could go either way in the end.
If they generate pressure the young secondary could hold on. If no pressure I see inexperience getting torched.
Just too hard to really figure out how this one goes it's just a feeling that they have to iron out some things still. Those wrinkles likely the difference in a close game.

I have legitimately zero idea what to expect. Last year I felt like we were a season away. This year I still worry we have huge holes in important areas, (specifically pass rush and WR depth). I haven't seen the 1st team play together yet. DJ Reader might not be in game shape yet. I have no idea what our revamped secondary is capable of. I have no idea what strides Jamo has taken.
I think this game is a 2 score win, but wouldn't be surprised if we got blown out.

by PARAM
2 weeks 1 hour ago
 Total posts:   12399  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Zen_Ronin wrote:Now, without futher ado...

Honestly think this feels like a loss.

I have legitimately zero idea what to expect.

Well there at least 2 intelligent Lions fans!!

I agree with the first guy and have a suggestion for the second.....watch our OL, run game and RZ play.

Thanks for doing this thread Zen!

by Zen_Ronin
1 week 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2104  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

Well, Lions fans have definitely gotten more active as the weeks gone on, and boy are they ever feeling themselves...

The schedule makers ain’t no dummies. They know they have lightning in bottle with this matchup, with compelling stories up the ying yang.
An engaged, matured Jamo involved in a lot more plays added to essentially the same cast. Yes, please. That offensive continuity will find answers to LA’s mystery defense.
The Rams will have to find answers to the Lions mystery defense too. Their task is complicated because our defensive talent is light years different from last January. The DBs of course, but a healthy Levi, a healthy Davenport, and perhaps minor contributions from Reader? Campbell has some pass defense chops now–in theory.
How will these new elements communicate? Well enough to slow the Rams down more than last January, so we won’t have to sweat so much at the end.
The crowd will be geeked even without the Stafford kids to boo. If I were to bet the odds, I’d give the 3.5, but I don’t bet any more. Opening games are unpredictable.

Matt is going to want to stay home with Kelly next time.
41-27

I think we’re the better team, but I think the fact that we only beat them by 1 last time shows they’re close enough to beat us this time around. I just hope we make the adjustments we need to.

After a fast start by the Lions on a TD pass to Jamo and a TD run by Monty (missed extra point by Bates), Stafford leads the Rams to a 17-13 halftime lead. In the second half, a pick-six by Branch, a TD pass to LaPorta, and a redeeming Bates FG are only answered by a late TD to Puka Nacua. Lions win 30-24.

Rams are down one, possibly both, starting tackles… They moved Jackson to center and Avalia to LG this week. I want to see Davenport and Hutch eat against backup tackles… Bury Stafford into FF

I’m not buying the whole, “This was just the best permutation. The best way to get the best combination of guys at their best spots” angle.
Something came up with Avila at Center. I’d put money on it. I can’t think of a pivot at the pivot this last in the preseason just bc “this is our best lineup.”

Stafford is going to make crazy throws. Nacua and Kupp are going to make plays. I’m preparing myself to be super annoyed when we give up a 3rd and impossible. But I think we will be the more consistent and balanced team and pull out the W. If their Oline isn’t ready I think we’ll do really well.

They have 15 rookies on the roster??? Holy shit

My fears out loud:
Rams - 31
Lions - 27
Stafford smugly smiles as he slithers off the field after lighting up the Lions’ “vastly improved” secondary.
CD missed a lot of camp. Arnold and Rakestraw are rookies. Branch is playing an entirely new position and missed a lot of camp as well.
There’s nothing a vet QB loves more than rookie CB’s.

I think Lions lose this game unfortunately.

Rams: 31

Lions:28

I think even know the Rams oline is not intact, the lion’s defensive backfield is new and has not played together. Communication is going to be key and I think they struggle especially the first few games. Stafford gets his revenge. Stafford will carve up this new look secondary.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
1 week 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2135  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

About 15 years ago (when I was working Fleet Safety for an industrial gases company) I rode with a driver delivering Oxygen to a customer in Detroit. The driver was connecting the delivery lines from our oxygen semi-trailer tanker to the customer's Oxygen tank. There were cigarette butts all over the ground around the bucket box of their oxygen tank! And can of soda inside the bucket box. Employees at the customer were using the O2 tank as a break area! A lot of things can go very bad when you mix fire with pure oxygen.

Felt the need to have a friendly chat with one of the customers managers about maybe finding an alternate place for breaks where maybe someone wouldn't burn the place down.

by Joe Pendleton
1 week 1 day ago
 Total posts:   1922  
Virgin Islands (USA)   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

many thanks! @Zen_Ronin for carrying this tradition onwards.. good ol' Hack loved doing these (and we'd crack-up after games we'd won).. man with the season coming on, i've been thinking about that cat a whole bunch.. RIP Brother Steve "Moosh"

• 1 / 1
7 posts Sep 16 2024