10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by ramsman34
1 week 2 days ago
 Total posts:   9028  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

So, I believe Dare brought up running a 5-2 and 5-1. When I was on the defensive staff at College of the Canyons, our DC ran a 3-3-5. Mostly because we had good edge/OLBs and safeties and not many good ILBs. And we face spread offenses almost exclusively (10 and 11p and empty).

It was an awesome D against both the run and pass. Yes, more susceptible to the power run game. But, because of the speed at OLB and safety, even power teams had a hard time getting blocks at the second level.

Fisk - Turner - Brown
Verse - Hoecht - Young
T Will - Lake - Curl - JJ 3 - Durant.

Coverage is prominently cover 3 and cover 1 with the ability to cloud and play some combo man. It allows for a lot of match-zone coverage as well. The responsibilities on the back end are significant but we have smart, instinctive players back there. It takes off the field the presumptive weaker links - ILBs. Again, run fit discipline is at a premium as you can and will get gashed if you are not gap and assignment sound.

Passing against that grouping would be extremely difficult. It would be situational and probably not used against bigger/power OLs and run teams.

Look for this during the season as I think there will be a version of it used from time to time.

by PARAM
1 week 2 days ago
 Total posts:   12399  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't know what to expect but I get the feeling Shula has had a long time to learn multiple approaches and will probably initiate a little from all of them. Some of the liabilities of our defense could also be an advantage. Youth and speed. As always, tackling well will help.

by ramsman34
1 week 2 days ago

The beauty of the 3-3-5 is exactly what you tapped - SPEED. Can usually generate very quick pressure. And the closing/coverage speed in the secondary is awesome. Also, if your OLBs can move and are good in space, you can send pressure/drop into coverage anywhere with your second level-3 players. Risk reward for sure but an awesome “change up”. I’m sure Shula has it in his bag.

by BobCarl
1 week 1 day ago
 Total posts:   4354  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:Fisk - Turner - Brown
Verse - Hoecht - Young
T Will - Lake - Curl - JJ 3 - Durant.

Passing against that grouping would be extremely difficult.

it seems like a good grouping for a 3rd and 15+

would you call that defense on a 3rd and 3?

I'd love to see your pre-snap X's and O's with this grouping on various situations

by ramsman34
1 week 1 day ago

Yes on 15. No on 3 and 3. The Giants ran a “Nascar” front but with a 4-3 alignment. Everyone standing up pre snap. You would do that but you would move your 3 edge players all around pre snap. I have a playbook buried somewhere. Or maybe I will grab some YouTube vids that look like what I would do with our D.

by ramsman34
1 week 1 day ago

And remember, the coverage is typically cover 3 so you have 2 safeties and one of your edge players that can roam at the second level and around the LOS. Hard to declare the Mike and hard to know who is coming and who is dropping.

by RAMMAN76
1 week 23 hours ago
 Total posts:   612  
United States of America   Fort Worth TX
Veteran

I found this on YT.

by ramsman34
1 week 22 hours ago

That is a good pre snap look. It requires a lot of athletic and quick/fast edge and safeties. We have those. Look for it in obvious passing situations. It will look like. a Dime defense but there will be NO traditional ILBs and at least 3 if not 4 safeties. 2 interior DL, 1 DE, 3 edge

by ramsman34
1 week 12 hours ago

They did not run it. They ran 5-2 almost all game and 5-1 Nickel. I dont think I saw a single play without at least one off ball LB on the field. Power running team. Makes sense.

by BobCarl
1 week 4 hours ago
 Total posts:   4354  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:They did not run it. They ran 5-2 almost all game and 5-1 Nickel

With the players that the Rams have, it could be worth trying, especially against a young QB.

• 1 / 1
10 posts Sep 16 2024