22 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by /zn/
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6829  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Would like to see the terms. Me thinks as there is no extension it is a “guarantee” of sorts that Staff won’t retire before either the end of the contract or/unless certain criteria are met - Think Lombardi’s. Anyway ya slice it, we are set at QB now for at least a couple more seasons.

Stafford sought the deal, he was the driver in this, and so it looks like it's less a case of the Rams making sure he won't retire as much as it is Stafford wanting strict assurances he won't be cut or traded. With more guaranteed money yes he's here for 3 years, but Stafford wanted that set up in a way that doesn't really let the Rams couldn't afford to move on (IF they wanted to).

Maybe Stafford heard the talk about how the Rams needed to draft a qb. I don't think the Rams were thinking that way, but, with more guaranteed money on the deal now, Stafford made double sure that the Rams can't afford to think that way.

It's a kind of thing like where someone says "yes I love you, we will never part, but still this pre-nup is important to me."

by actionjack
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4227  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Yeah, McVay said it was an adjustment not an extension. We should have more details in a day or two...

But this makes him whole for 24, 25 and 26 most likely. It seems 3 more seasons is the goal.

by Dare
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   197  
United States of America   Tucson, AZ formerly of San Diego
Rookie

I would be surprised if it was not a conditional year to year deal based upon Stafford's health. Simply triggered by his previous year's performance, i.e. his health. Under that formula they could simply guarantee part of all of his salary for each of 2025 and 2026. I think it's clear that Matt is not likely to get extended beyond 2026 so he would have a maximum contract life of 3 more years of SB window opportunity. That would make sense because last year's draft class will be looking at extensions. It would likely mean that if the Rams are likely to continue their building through the draft they would likely draft a new QB1 successor next year prep him for his eventual starting role.

Unsaid could this point to an eventual retirement of McVay once Matt retires? If so then the promotion of Shula to DC might be no coincidence. Personally, I think Shula is going to make a very good HC if not for the Rams then for someone else.

This OL could end up being one of the best Stafford has ever played behind. With the offensive balance the Rams look to have over the next two years it makes sense with why Matt was so eager to extend his career. That said Stafford has been hurt every year, so nothing is guaranteed in reality. The Rams need to be mindful of Stafford's 2022 season.

Injuries like the Rams endured that year are the only impediment to the Rams making a sustained SB run over the next 2 to three years. The Niners are beginning to implode like I have always felt they would this year. The Rams have a golden opportunity to take control of the NFCW over the next two years. I see them getting another Lombardi Trophy this year or next if not back to back.

If the Rams go back to back I think McVay would retire after 2026, opening the door for Shula if things go right for the Rams.

by snackdaddy
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9787  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Stafford will be 39 in 2027. Makes sense that he'll be retired by then. But will he? He doesn't rely much on athletic ability. Mostly his arm and what is between the ears. Brady lasted a long time with those two things going for him. So you never know.

by Flash
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1224  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

https://sports.yahoo.com/awkward-contra ... 06034.html

From Yahoo Sports...Don't know the accuracy.

"Both sides are declining to comment on the contract adjustment, but a league source familiar with multiple quarterback negotiations this offseason told Yahoo Sports that the Rams and Stafford tweaked his cash flow, increasing the $31 million he was due to earn this season, while also decreasing the $15 million he was guaranteed next season. The source declined to give specifics on how much of the $15 million in guarantees from 2025 was moved into 2024, but it was enough to both satisfy Stafford getting additional money moved up and raising his APY of the first three years of his four-year extension, while also decreasing the cap hit the Rams would take next offseason if Stafford decided to retire with one year left on his deal."

"Basically, if Stafford retires after 2024, it will mean that the extension he signed in 2022 ended up being a three-year deal with a higher average than $40 million per season. And if he doesn’t retire after the 2024 season, it will mean he got more money packed into the first three years of a contract extension that aged extremely fast."

by Elvis
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

We'll see when we see but it's starting to sound like Stafford is getting more money this year and they're gonna have to deal with the next two years later...

by ramsman34
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   8947  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:We'll see when we see but it's starting to sound like Stafford is getting more money this year and they're gonna have to deal with the next two years later...

Not only that but, maybe they “know” how long he wants to be here/play. No way the Rams were going to trade him at any point. It’s looking a lot more likely that this is a year to year deal. Staff must REALLY think they can win it all this season. That’s his ticket to a gold jacket.

If they don’t win the SB then perhaps they renegotiate the remaining 2 years/do an extension?? Or they can just do more guaranteed $ but the cap management could be an issue.

by Elvis
1 month 1 week ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

McVay from the transcript:

"That's a big deal because here's the thing, our responsibilities…and what I think is really cool is that Matthew understands that too. Our responsibilities…like when you see a contract, that doesn't mean we don't think that he's not worth more or whatever. Our responsibilities and one of my responsibilities and one of our responsibility as leaders is to say, 'How do we put together the most competitive team that can sustain based on what we think that looks like relative to things that we've learned over seven years?' What's great about it is I'm so fortunate that here we are year eight and you've got a seven-year inventory and then even longer for some of those other guys that were here prior to me with Les, Kevin, and Tony to say 'Let's look at a lot of good decisions and let's look at some of the things we want to be able to learn from and let's not be afraid to apply that'. Also, to be able to communicate honestly, with the empathy, with the love and appreciation for them but also say, 'Hey, this is what we think is right. This is what we think is best for the team,' and sometimes that can accommodate individuals and sometimes it can't. If you're able to find that balance, that's where I think you're in a really good sweet spot and I think that's what we feel like we were able to accomplish today."

Sounds like Stafford did not get what he wanted but got enough to be happy...

• 2 / 3
22 posts Sep 07 2024