12 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by rams1974
2 days 19 hours ago
 Total posts:   526  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

snackdaddy wrote:Would be nice to buy a cheaper package with only one team. Right now if you want to watch your team you have to buy a package for all the games.

The more I think about this whole situation, the more convinced I am that this is like, CBS and Fox just being super stubborn about adapting here.

I just don't understand the argument of "we want to limit how many people actually use Sunday Ticket, we want people watching the 'free' broadcasts." Isn't the monetization of the free broadcasts all the 5,000 ads one watches during the games?

My memory is foggy but I'm pretty sure I still watched 5,000 ads having Sunday Ticket? Is it that they think people are constantly bouncing between games when one goes to commercial (thus not actually watching any commercials)? What does the data say, my complete plebian guess is that not too many subscribers are doing that.

One particularly damaging fact was ESPN wanted to offer it for $70, supposedly, and the NFL said no. What was the rationale for saying no? Do the numbers show that doing that would be giving away the shop and pissing off the other media partners? It just doesn't seem like they had that data to refute it.

It seems like they could have been a little more proactive about a solution here and may have been caught thinking they wouldn't lose.

by actionjack
1 day 22 hours ago
 Total posts:   4088  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

rams1974 wrote:The more I think about this whole situation, the more convinced I am that this is like, CBS and Fox just being super stubborn about adapting here.

I just don't understand the argument of "we want to limit how many people actually use Sunday Ticket, we want people watching the 'free' broadcasts." Isn't the monetization of the free broadcasts all the 5,000 ads one watches during the games?

My memory is foggy but I'm pretty sure I still watched 5,000 ads having Sunday Ticket? Is it that they think people are constantly bouncing between games when one goes to commercial (thus not actually watching any commercials)? What does the data say, my complete plebian guess is that not too many subscribers are doing that.

One particularly damaging fact was ESPN wanted to offer it for $70, supposedly, and the NFL said no. What was the rationale for saying no? Do the numbers show that doing that would be giving away the shop and pissing off the other media partners? It just doesn't seem like they had that data to refute it.

It seems like they could have been a little more proactive about a solution here and may have been caught thinking they wouldn't lose.

The rational for saying no, was the NFL didnt want to diminish the value of the TV Sunday packages that FOX and CBS have. If you charge $400 for Sunday Ticket, only the hardcore sports fan of team is gonna pay that. A casual fan may buy it for $70. A casual fan could buy multiple teams if they want.

• 2 / 2
12 posts Jul 07 2024