30 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by ramsman34
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8710  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I think he meant before 2023/Bennett. And who else is going to play the first 2 games? Dresser Wynn?? I guess, if they want to “protect” Bennett so at least he’s available for the first 2 games. I could see MCV doing that. But, that won’t help Bennett’s development.

by BrooklynRam74
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   242  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

ramsman34 wrote:I think he meant before 2023/Bennett. And who else is going to play the first 2 games? Dresser Wynn?? I guess, if they want to “protect” Bennett so at least he’s available for the first 2 games. I could see MCV doing that. But, that won’t help Bennett’s development.

Of course Bennett is QB2 for the first 2 games and there are actually some "fearless" predictions out there that Bennett wins the QB2 job outright, also keeping in mind Garoppolo was awful last year in Las Vegas if we're being truthful. I do understand it will probably be a different story with McVay at the controls though.

by /zn/
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6816  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

BrooklynRam74 wrote:A while? You mean not since 2023 Draft???

I was referring to Bennett. He's the first Rams developmental qb picked in the draft in a while. Yes he was a 4th rounder in 2023.

by Elvis
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   39007  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The original plan for Bennett was he'd be a relatively cheap and competent #2 for years to come, and he'd be #2 out of the box. Did they think he could be more? I think they were gonna wait and see on that.

Clearly things are different this year. Reports are McVay has liked Jimmy G. for a while and Jourdan said you can see the difference at practice when the #2 QB knows and executes the offense so they can run all the same stuff.

How this all shakes out, we'll see. I wouldn't be shocked if Dresser Winn plays 100% of preseason though...

by BrooklynRam74
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   242  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

/zn/ wrote:I was referring to Bennett. He's the first Rams developmental qb picked in the draft in a while. Yes he was a 4th rounder in 2023.

I see what you're saying now. ✌

by Dare
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   144  
United States of America   Tucson, AZ formerly of San Diego
Practice Squad

There is no question Sean has liked Jimmy G for a long time. Which is why it wouldn't surprise me if he was looked at as a bridge option should Stafford retire. This offense is a schematic fit for Jimmy now where in previous years it was not. My issue with Jimmy is not physical talent, it's what's between the ears. He will suddenly make bad decisions resulting in turnovers or stalled drives.

I don't think Sean wants to develop a young QB. I think he would rather trade for an established vet. It's why he will try to milk every year he can out of Matt Stafford. My problem with that is when you do that you end up releasing him a year too late.

The tradeoff IMO would be to sign a QB who has the traits Sean loves who has been a backup. There are a few who were drafted the past couple of years that might fit the need. I'm not saying this guy is the one but an example would be Tanner Mckee, who has the physical traits and arm talent McVay likes. He's played his career at Stanford, as a full-field read pocket passer.

IMO Sean isn't vested in Bennett as he was actually a pick of two of his assistants. They did a poor job in vetting their choice.

by snackdaddy
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   9740  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure McVay wanted Bennett to be the primary backup before they shut him down last year. And I do think they lost that confidence in him. Which is why they signed Garoppolo.

Bennett will have every opportunity to work his way into the QB3/emergency quarterback spot. And might even be the QB2 the first two games. But I wouldn't hold my breath about him being anything more.

He was drafted so it makes sense not to waste it by cutting him so soon. It also makes sense to have a plan B as far as the backup beyond this season. Bennett may not have the chops for the job.

by /zn/
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6816  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:He was drafted so it makes sense not to waste it by cutting him so soon. It also makes sense to have a plan B as far as the backup beyond this season. Bennett may not have the chops for the job.

None of which we are in a position to know about yet, obviously. As it stands they signed Garagepolo a month before Bennett was clearly available for OTAs.

There's no reason to doubt Bennett yet...he still has the stuff that made him a #2 in their eyes this time last year. BUT either way, having both Garagepolo and Bennett is the smart approach. Put an experienced vet at #2, and then develop and see what you have in a draft pick they liked when they took him. It's just being smart and maximizing the qb room.

Bennett has a lot to prove of course but as of right now we don't know how that will go, though also as of right now there's no reason to doubt him yet, IMO.

by Elvis
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   39007  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Someone said/reported Rams would've been interested in Jimmy G. last year too but he was looking for a starting gig.

We'll see how it goes with Bennett but as the world's oldest rookie and then missing his first year, time is not on his side...

by 69RamFan
1 month 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3238  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Someone said/reported Rams would've been interested in Jimmy G. last year too but he was looking for a starting gig.

We'll see how it goes with Bennett but as the world's oldest rookie and then missing his first year, time is not on his side...

Hey, KW started for the RAMs in 99 at age 28!

You never know! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

• 3 / 3
30 posts Jul 27 2024