20 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by rams1974
3 months 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   515  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Elvis wrote:A needed change but i think i'll miss the pageantry and absurdity of the chain gang:

One thing that occurred about 4-5 years ago that I think has gone really unnoticed. Referees have begun spotting the ball at exact yard markers rather than at fractional yards.

Believe this was intentional to reduce the stoppages for chain measurements (which I would bet, sight unseen, are way down); also probably improved quality of life for those writing up the game books, to have less ambiguity on whether to call 1/2 a yard a full yard, etc.

To wit, I think this thought process actually played a major part in the end of the Steeler game ... definitely did not gain it, but the refs said meh, they want us to spot it on the yard marker, so, fine .. first down. We'll let the Rams challenge it .. oh wait, oops.

I think the refs are given discretion when to try to be precise but are asked not to most of the time; but sometimes they just don't use their heads it seems, like in the Steeler game. Good job, you just handed the Steelers the win.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
3 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   2100  
Pro Bowl

by Rams1PlateSince1976
3 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   2100  
Pro Bowl

How about "Rock, paper, scissors." If you declare an on-side kick you have to win four out of five "rock, paper, scissors".

by rams74
3 weeks 4 days ago
 Total posts:   1500  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:

I'm all for this. I won't get sentimental about losing the chains.

I'm sure part of this decision is that it SHOULD eliminate yet another thing that slows down the flow of the game.

by Elvis
3 weeks 4 days ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I might get a little sentimental but agreed. At the game, you can watch the chain gang for a head's up on a review or whether or not a play was a first down, i'll miss that too...

by rams74
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   1500  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Once they get this one out of the way, the next item on the docket should be using technology to spot the ball, especially at the goal line. Soccer is doing this already, and it works very well.

There's really no need for lengthy video reviews trying to visually see if the ball crossed the goal line or not.

by AltiTude Ram
3 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   2195  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

A quick whistle ends the play.

I like that technology is better at getting it right. The Refs get the final say. Overall, I think it improves the game.

• 2 / 2
20 posts Jun 16 2024