19 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by max
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Starting Wolford over Goff was all about McVay not wanting anything to do with Goff regardless of the fact that Goff was/is clearly the better QB.

I wonder how guys like Whitworth and Kupp felt about it. I can’t believe they felt Wolford gave them the best chance to win.

by actionjack
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   4074  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

max wrote:Starting Wolford over Goff was all about McVay not wanting anything to do with Goff regardless of the fact that Goff was/is clearly the better QB.

I wonder how guys like Whitworth and Kupp felt about it. I can’t believe they felt Wolford gave them the best chance to win.

At that point Goff was a turnover machine. Our offensive line wasnt very good. Goff under pressure is a bottom 10 QB, add to it he had a major hand injury. So yeah have the more mobile guy that wont turn it over as much in critical moments.

by majik
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   1210  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Goff at his worst is better than Wofford at his best.

As great of a coach that McVay is, his inability to maximize Goff’s talent will always be a black mark.

Doug Pederson took Nick Foles who looked God awful in the regular season after Wentz tore his ACL and created a scheme in the playoffs to win a Super Bowl

by BrooklynRam74
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   228  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

majik wrote:Goff at his worst is better than Wofford at his best.

As great of a coach that McVay is, his inability to maximize Goff’s talent will always be a black mark.

Doug Pederson took Nick Foles who looked God awful in the regular season after Wentz tore his ACL and created a scheme in the playoffs to win a Super Bowl

But Goff was SO bad in 2020. Losing to the 0-13 Jets while throwing a horrendous pick. Losing the Division in Seattle with one of the worst picks I've ever seen. Let's not be revisionist, Goff was bad in 2020. (Good Riddance)

by Elvis
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

max wrote:I wonder how guys like Whitworth and Kupp felt about it. I can’t believe they felt Wolford gave them the best chance to win.

For all we know they were as disgusted with Goff as McVay was at the time...

by rams74
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   1500  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:For all we know they were as disgusted with Goff as McVay was at the time...

Whitworth and Goff were buds. Kupp and Goff were buds.

It would be very hard to believe that ANYBODY was as disgusted with Goff as McVay was.

by max
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:Whitworth and Goff were buds. Kupp and Goff were buds.

It would be very hard to believe that ANYBODY was as disgusted with Goff as McVay was.

Totally agree.

I believe McVay was responsible for a lot of Goff’s problems. He stuck him with a subpar OL, and had little patience with Goff who was still not a mature QB. The proof here is that Goff was given a quality OL in Detroit and allowed to fully mature under Ben Johnson and he flourished.

I get that McVay was probably under the gun to win a SB in SoFi, and he did get that done. But let’s not say all of Goff’s problems were on Goff. And no way anyone should believe that Wolford was remotely close to Goff in talent, or that Whitworth and Kupp believed that either.

by Elvis
1 month 2 days ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

rams74 wrote:Whitworth and Goff were buds. Kupp and Goff were buds.

Well maybe not "as disgusted" but Kupp and Whit are also tight with McVay, were in the building, in the games, so not unreasonable for me to think they were on the same page with McVay at the time when it came to Goff.

by Dare
3 weeks 6 days ago
 Total posts:   119  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

max wrote:Starting Wolford over Goff was all about McVay not wanting anything to do with Goff regardless of the fact that Goff was/is clearly the better QB.

This is just another example of how McVay used Goff as his whipping boy blaming him for everything instead of working with the guy and playing to his strengths.

The definitive proof is that both Stafford's and Goff's stats since the trade has been eerily similar since the trade. Proof of what I've always contended. Goff wasn't McVay's "boy" so he sabotaged Goff on every damn snap. Holding him in the huddle until the last 15 seconds then blaming Goff for not being able to read. Yet Goff reads just fine now in Detroit.

You look at McVay's offense now, and Jared would be a perfect fit. In other words, had McVay designed his offense to play to Goff's strength there wouldn't have been a need for the trade.

This is why it's highly likely that McVay would rather ride Stafford until that horse can't run any more than shop around for another veteran QB that he doesn't have to develop. If a good QB becomes available in 2025 the Rams might tell Matt to retire and make a run at signing the new QB. I would rather they trade up next year for someone like Carson Beck or if Riley Leonard drops to them to grab him if he does. Leonard is a sneaky-good QB prospect with a strong arm and good accuracy at all levels. He's a pure pocket passer like Stafford with a bit of a gunslinger in his mentality. At best Leonard projects as a mid to lower first round pick. Right now he's a second round grade but the Rams don't have a second round pick next year.

The Rams got lucky and it worked out for both the Lions and Rams. But going into the future, Stafford must be viewed as damaged goods. IMO his ability to play injury free this season will determine if he's the starter in 2025. It's why I believe Jimmy G is on the roster. He would be a good bridge QB in 2025 should they decide to move on from Stafford with a rookie. Ram fans laugh at Jimmy G. but in this current offense, he's a perfect fit. The problem with Jimmy is he seems to go brain-dead at times making bad decisions. That said so does Stafford. Jimmy's strength is attacking the intermediate zone and that's exactly what McVay's current offense does.

This is why I see Jimmy G. as a potential bridge QB next year if Stafford's health doesn't hold up this year. IMO the problem with Matt is that the odds of him missing games this year is better than him going injury free. The problem is Stafford has a history of hiding his injury and now he has every incentive to do so. His tendonitis is a chronic condition and the Rams need to lean on their run attack to reduce Stafford's pass count. That is why drafting Corum is huge this year. With Williams and Corun and the IOL they have, the Rams can do just that.

• 1 / 2
19 posts Jun 17 2024