33 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by actionjack
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4084  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

So they are going to let the market set the contracts of K Dot and Shelden, hopefully the Rams can get it done.

by Elvis
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38903  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Correct me if i'm wrong but usually the Rams don't end up signing players in this situation...

by actionjack
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4084  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but usually the Rams don't end up signing players in this situation...

I dont think that is true, I do believe they have had some success in letting the contract cost get set early on in free agency. The issue is if the Rams are really off on the value.

by Indrid Cold
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   869  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Sounds like they are going to let everyone (Dotson, Shelton, Witherspoon, Fuller, etc.) hit FA and let the market determine contract parameters. In Dotson's case, to me that means see ya later. The rest aren't as important. But I don't know if I'm down with this strategy. Tried it with Saffold and Corbitt. Just opening more holes on the roster.

by azramsfan93
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1495  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but usually the Rams don't end up signing players in this situation...

Very true, Elvis. I fully expect Dotson is gone. The market for Shelton shouldn’t be nearly as hot, but who knows? No way the Rams sign Fuller. We don’t retain safeties.

by PARAM
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12315  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Fuck em. Draft JPJ. Sign a G in free agency or draft one of them too. You know, the Rams are very good to their players but then this shit happens. Maybe it's time to start running it like a business and fuck the feelings.

by Elvis
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38903  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I can definitely see Shelton getting done, his market shouldn't be too crazy, the Rams say the want him and they have money...

by rams1974
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   522  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

PARAM wrote:Fuck em. Draft JPJ. Sign a G in free agency or draft one of them too. You know, the Rams are very good to their players but then this shit happens. Maybe it's time to start running it like a business and fuck the feelings.

Ah, c'mon man, you know it doesn't work like that. Put yourself in their shoes. They've been busting their humps since childhood playing football and putting the work in, now have this super limited window to get paid.

The basic fact is that 90-ish% of pro players don't actually care that much who they play for - many don't even care that much if their team wins - "am I still on the roster next week? I am? Whew!" ... they're just trying to maximize their earnings. You can't fault them for it.

by PARAM
3 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12315  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

rams1974 wrote:Ah, c'mon man, you know it doesn't work like that. Put yourself in their shoes. They've been busting their humps since childhood playing football and putting the work in, now have this super limited window to get paid.

The basic fact is that 90-ish% of pro players don't actually care that much who they play for - many don't even care that much if their team wins - "am I still on the roster next week? I am? Whew!" ... they're just trying to maximize their earnings. You can't fault them for it.

I don't fault anybody for wanting to get paid. But when we're talking about multi-millions....read: you're rich either way......doesn't it say something about your character to go with the better team for a little less money? The team who invested in you, gave you a shot in the first place and helped you earn that money? I'm not naive. It's all about the money.

My "fuck em" was more to do with 'get younger at a lesser price tag and possibly more talented'. Who's the better option for C in L.A.? Shelton or Jackson Powers-Johnson/ VanPran? We don't know but I'd roll with the rookies. Perhaps our two UFA's go to free agency and sign with the Rams anyway. But like I said, it is ALL about the money.

• 1 / 4
33 posts Jun 26 2024