6 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by bremillard
5 months 3 days ago
 Total posts:   625  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Goff was great. Reynolds aweful. His drops killed drives.
I was one of Goff's biggest critics when he was a Ram. Now I'm impressed with his play. Better offensive coordinator? Hard to say but he's solid in Detroit.

by /zn/
5 months 3 days ago
 Total posts:   6807  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

bremillard wrote:Goff was great. Reynolds aweful. His drops killed drives.
I was one of Goff's biggest critics when he was a Ram. Now I'm impressed with his play. Better offensive coordinator? Hard to say but he's solid in Detroit.

What we saw with Goff in 2019 and 2020 was a qb whose confidence eroded. In spite of all his talents as a head coach, McV was impatient with Goff, and in those 2 years he was the de facto qb coach (they don't even list a qb coach in 2020). As a former Rams coach said, McV knew how to tear Goff down and not how to build him back up. In Detroit, Johnson built the offense around Goff's strengths and knew how to build his confidence.

At the same time, btw, I defended the trade when it happened. IMO McV needed a veteran qb, a guy he could be more collaborative with, and Stafford was a very good choice for that. McV and Goff were a bad "marriage." The trade worked out for both qbs and both teams.

by Elvis
5 months 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38917  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I think people forget how good Goff was in 2017 and 2018. I also think Ben Johnson has a lot to do with it. We'll see what happens assuming he gets a HC gig.

Goff and Detroit were not very good his first year when Anthony Lynn was OC and then Campbell took over play calling. You can't necessarily judge anything by its first year but we'll see how things go if Detroit has to get another OC...

by PARAM
5 months 2 days ago
 Total posts:   12318  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I think people forget how good Goff was in 2017 and 2018. I also think Ben Johnson has a lot to do with it. We'll see what happens assuming he gets a HC gig.

Goff and the Detroit were not very good his first year when Anthony Lynn was OC and then Campbell took over play calling. You can't necessarily judge anything by its first year but we'll see how things go if Detroit has to get another OC...

I think many Ram fans severely underestimate Goff as a QB. For a variety of reasons. With most of which, I don't agree.

He's lousy under pressure. (Not lousy, but pressure does affect him....like 95% of QBs)
He's not an inspirational leader. (Bulger was accused of the same)
He needs everything perfect around him. (No, he needs talent around him.....like 95% of QBs)

There are wins I remember because of Goff. The first 2017 SF game. The 2017 Dallas game. The 51 point beatdown of the NYG in 2017. His 4 TD game vs Tennessee that year. The 2018 Minnesota game. The Chiefs MNF game the same year. The 2018 CCG at N. Orleans. And the 2020 playoff game vs Seattle. All for different reasons......performance, toughness, resilience. He was on a trajectory to be our franchise QB but for reasons unknown and speculated by everybody outside the organization, it wasn't to be. And most guys traded away "because he wasn't the guy" would have gone into the shitter. Particularly with his replacement winning the Superbowl his first year with the team. But he's resurrected his career. He deserves a ton of credit for that. Was it McVay? Was it Ben Johnson? Or was it Jared Goff? Probably a combination of the three.

Having said all that, I love Stafford as our QB. But he's long in the tooth. It will be interesting to see what we do, post-Stafford. For 7 seasons, McVay has had a damn good QB under center. I hope the next guy can perform nearly as well as those two. But some fans will keep shitting on Goff. I lean more towards appreciation.

by UtahRam
5 months 2 days ago
 Total posts:   362  
United States of America   Salt Lake City
Starter

Goff played well with the RAMS when he had a decent O-line. Stafford struggled in 2022 with the RAMS before he was injured because he was playing behind a weak O-line. There's a connection there.

by actionjack
4 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4085  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Goff's confidence was definitely eroded, but also if you give the guy a very good line he will do damage with his arm and it also means he probably has a nice running game too which Goff was at his best with.

BTW my buddy ran into Stafford and family at the Ritz Carlton in North Lake Tahoe. Quick ski weekend for the family.

• 1 / 1
6 posts Jul 03 2024