34 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by PARAM
5 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12319  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

bremillard wrote:Discuss the Rams what? How was their breakfast? Where they live? Did they have a nice holiday season?
Ummm...nope. It's how they play...good bad and mediocre.

It's pretty simple dude. Fans discuss the Rams. They talk about the bad and the good. But there's usually a balance. Not so much with you. Are you one of those Cali-fans who disowned them when they moved to Missouri and now complain incessantly because you can't seem to get over how they hurt you? For every positive post you make, you make 19 negative posts. And the positive posts seem to come with an underlying touch of reluctance.

bremillard wrote:I'm going to take GREAT DELIGHT in pointing out your "whining" about future lousy play. If I really cared I'd go back and gather past posts you made in that regard but, honestly, I don't give a shit enough to expend that much energy. However, you can believe I will scrutinize that as we move forward...and that's only because it's what you consistently do to me. And that "great" offense and defense has amounted to a plus 25 point differential for '23. Hardly the juggernaut hill you are choosing to die on.

Again, it's not the negative complaining. It's the extreme lack of balance that borders on troll-ish behavior. And now you display a lack of knowledge (or a deliberate lack of intellectual honesty) by citing the point differential as the reason you believe the offense is "decent" and not "very good" or "excellent". A team scores 31 and the opponent scores 37, that's a minus 6. Unless of course you're saying 31 points is "decent"!

I'll take GREAT DELIGHT if the Rams keep winning and you have nothing to complain about....but somehow, I think you'll find something. Those deserters!!!!

by PARAM
5 months 4 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

Back to the question of the thread.....

Why did Maher lose his job? FG's? or missed PATs? He missed 6 FGs but 4 of them were from 50 yards out. He missed 1 PAT.

The question should have been posed when Havrisik replaced him and the answer is clearly "no". He missed 5 FGs (4 from under 50) and 3 PATs.

Here's the tale of the tape for NFC PKs on teams currently in playoff position:

Maher: 17 of 23 on FGs (14-16 from under 50), 1 PAT missed
Aubrey: 35 of 35 on FGs (26-26 from under 50), 3 PATs missed
Elliott : 29 of 31 on FGs (22 of 23 from under 50), 1 PAT missed
Badgley: 3 of 3 on FGs ....1 PAT missed ( he was 18 of 22 last year with the Lions and lost his job)
Carlson: 26 of 31 on FGs (23 of 26 from under 50), 5 PAT missed
McLaughlin: 26 of 28 on FGs (20 of 21 from under 50), 0 PATs missed
Moody: 21 of 24 on FGs (19 of 21 from under 50), 0 PATs missed

by ramsman34
5 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8681  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

It think Bre isn’t wrong stating it could be an issue. And Bre, you are more negative in general. So what, that’s your right. PA is more positive, that’s his right. PA states stats that back up less concern for Maher based on distance. I tend to agree with both of you. It’s a big time issue if he is asked to kick FGs past say, 45 yds, IMO. I think is he is fairly automatic inside of 40.

To Bre’s point, anything out side of 40 on 4th down changes/affects how the game is called and therefore could be an issue that teams like the Cowboys don’t really have to deal with - as they have kickers who can make a high percentage of longer FGs.

It could turn out to be one of these situations torpedoes the game. Or, it could mean more points as MCV gambles on 4h, makes it, and the team scores a TD for a point swing.

As Jourdan at the Athletic often says, 2 things can be true at the same time.

by bremillard
5 months 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   625  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

PARAM wrote:It's pretty simple dude. Fans discuss the Rams. They talk about the bad and the good. But there's usually a balance. Not so much with you. Are you one of those Cali-fans who disowned them when they moved to Missouri and now complain incessantly because you can't seem to get over how they hurt you? For every positive post you make, you make 19 negative posts. And the positive posts seem to come with an underlying touch of reluctance.

Again, it's not the negative complaining. It's the extreme lack of balance that borders on troll-ish behavior. And now you display a lack of knowledge (or a deliberate lack of intellectual honesty) by citing the point differential as the reason you believe the offense is "decent" and not "very good" or "excellent". A team scores 31 and the opponent scores 37, that's a minus 6. Unless of course you're saying 31 points is "decent"!

I'll take GREAT DELIGHT if the Rams keep winning and you have nothing to complain about....but somehow, I think you'll find something. Those deserters!!!!

I was in St Louis to watch Warner, Faulk Bruce and Holt on 4 different occasions by my memory. I was in the Georgia Dome watching the '99 Rams beat the Titans by a yard. Point differential is one measure but so is a 9-7 record and 3-6 through their first 9 games. I outlined pretty clearly what I thought the strengths and weaknesses of the team were and this started with the kicking game which is clearly a and maybe their most glaring weakness. Now...how many times have you been to SOFI? To America's Center? To the Big A? To the Memorial Coliseum? My answer to that is a collective 100 or more. You can keep on scrutinizing my Rams dedication and fandom all you like but I have actually spent my money in all of their venues. Not saying you haven't but I can hazard a guess. I speak from that level and also the level of my being involved in MANY organized sports locker rooms as a player and participant. You? Being negative isn't being less of a fan. It may be being more of a fan as losses hurt to the point of venting. If ambivalence indicates anything it's more ambivalence but I'm not here to scrutinize you. I'm here to try to reconcile why my gut hurts with every loss. How about you be you and me be me? I get no other real scrutiny from the board and if that shows up I will own it and move forward. Now...out of respect for everyone else on RFU I'm done with our personal feud.

by 69RamFan
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3238  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

69RamFan wrote:I feel Maher can hit 40 yds and under without any problems,

47yds would be my max to send him out on the field,

So, the ball would be placed on the 30 yd line.

Any balls between the 30 and 40 yd line,

I would go for it and try to get a first down.

Outside the 40, punt it away.

Did I spoked too soon?

Missing an XP

At least the 9ers kicker is missing too!

by Gareth
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1207  
Pro Bowl

I think it's pretty clear that Maher is a head case. No one misses four extra points in a playoff game without there being a mental aspect to it. Are we really going forward with him in the playoffs?

by ramsman34
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8681  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Gareth wrote:I think it's pretty clear that Maher is a head case. No one misses four extra points in a playoff game without there being a mental aspect to it. Are we really going forward with him in the playoffs?

I think we are. And I think MCV will have a plan for what he does in what others call obvious FG situations. We just have to hope he hits when his number is called and that his number is called for mostly if not totally extra points. And even then, he misses and MCV will have a considerably thought out 2pt play sheet.

Luckily, Detroit is indoors. No wind excuses.

Now if somehow we have to go to Dallas, that will be a Maher Mindfuck on a totally different level.

by bremillard
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   625  
Veteran

69RamFan wrote:Did I spoked too soon?

Missing an XP

At least the 9ers kicker is missing too!

And beyond that McVay isn't letting him kick medium range field goals. That worked against the Niners but may be a problem if they don't convert 4th downs.

by PARAM
5 months 3 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

He's not letting him kick medium range field goals or PATs!

We went for it:

on 4th & 2 from the SF 34 passing up a 51 yard att
on 4th & 1 from the SF 41 passing up a 58 yard att
on 4th & 4 from the SF 35 passing up a 52 yard att
and
on 4th and 2 from the SF 12 passing up a 29 yard att

After missing the PAT on our 2nd TD, we went for 2 after our 3rd TD

It would seem there's a lack of confidence there with medium range FGs AND PATs.

by rams1974
5 months 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   526  
Veteran

PARAM wrote:He's not letting him kick medium range field goals or PATs!

We went for it:

on 4th & 2 from the SF 34 passing up a 51 yard att
on 4th & 1 from the SF 41 passing up a 58 yard att
on 4th & 4 from the SF 35 passing up a 52 yard att
and
on 4th and 2 from the SF 12 passing up a 29 yard att

After missing the PAT on our 2nd TD, we went for 2 after our 3rd TD

It would seem there's a lack of confidence there with medium range FGs AND PATs.

In the interest of finding some common ground, I'm gonna say it's highly preferable all things being equal to have a good kicker vs a shaky kicker.

The Rams have a shaky kicker, and their options to get a good kicker are basically slim to none. So you have to go with what you have and plan accordingly.

I would say it is not the team's long term vision to have a shaky kicker and go for it frequently on 4th down, but it is where they are today.

Now give each other a hug :D

• 3 / 4
34 posts Jul 05 2024