8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by BrooklynRam74
7 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   237  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Lots of good options for us, previously unavailable in recent years.

Rams will have free agency, draft, trade advantages in 2024 offseason - Turf Show Times
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/11/2 ... gents-2024

by PARAM
7 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   12320  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Yeah, they're in better position than many expected. And basically, it's based on their seeming over achievement in performance this year. I hope they use their first round pick to select a player. But we'll see. If they do, that means they like somebody in that slot. If they don't, that means they've traded it for a vet or traded down for more capital. I trust these guys 100%. As far as "not banking on" getting talent in the lower rounds, I disagree. They seem to always find a gem or two. 3rd round down, they've found many they utilize. Kupp, JJ, JR, Ebukam, SJD, Gaines, Edwards, Scott, Fuller, Jones, Skowronek, Kyren, Kendricks, Yeast, Young, Turner and Puka. That ain't too bad is it? It's a good time to be a Ram fan!!

by actionjack
7 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   4089  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

go get Bo Nix

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2023/1 ... ashington/

As the Pac-12 approaches its final contest of the season, a conference championship matchup between the 12-0 Washington Huskies and the 11-1 Oregon Ducks, I sat down with Trojans Wire contributor Donovan James (@DonJamesSports) to talk about the connection between the Rams and the conference, and how players from the Pac-12 could become playmakers for the Rams in 2024.

Q: Would it be realistic for the Rams to consider trading up for Caleb Williams?

James: Yes, it would be realistic. With a paring of McVay and Williams, they could be a playoff team and Super Bowl contender for a decade. I love Stafford but he’s past his prime as a top-tier quarterback

Q: Are there any USC prospects that the Rams should consider acquiring?

James: I think Brendan Rice (WR), Brett Neilon (OL), and Calen Bullock (S) would all be great fits for the Rams.

Q: Current Rams assistant head coach Jimmy Lake used to be the head coach of the Washington Huskies before he was fired due to allegations of getting physical with one of his players. Should Rams fans fear that a coach with such a past might be harming the team?

James: No, I think he is looking to move back up the coaching ranks so you shouldn’t have to worry about it that with Jimmy Lake again, at least you hope so because that can’t happen again.

Q: As the Pac-12 reaches its final conclusion with Washington playing Oregon in the championship game, what players do you think the Rams should consider drafting this coming offseason?

James: Players galore from the Oregon vs Washington game you could draft. Bo Nix (QB), Troy Franklin (WR), Tez Johnson (WR), and Mase Funa (LB) from Oregon and Washington’s Rome Odzune (WR), Michael Penix Jr (QB), Dillion Johnson (RB) and Dominque Hampton (CB).

Q: Washington’s Michael Penix Jr versus Oregon’s Bo Nix. Which quarterback is the better fit for the Sean McVay offense?

James: I think Nix is a great fit for McVay and the Rams offense. I think he could sit behind Matthew for another season and learn from him and play significant snaps if needed in Year 1.

I would like to thank Donovan for his time and efforts. His work, including his interview with me, are available at Trojans Wire. Both he and I, along with the Rams scouting department, will have all eyes on Allegiant Stadium on Friday as Vegas hosts the Pac-12 title game.

by /zn/
7 months 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6810  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:. 3rd round down, they've found many they utilize. Kupp, JJ, JR, Ebukam, SJD, Gaines, Edwards, Scott, Fuller, Jones, Skowronek, Kyren, Kendricks, Yeast, Young, Turner and Puka. That ain't too bad is it? It's a good time to be a Ram fan!!

They've done amazing drafting in the lower rounds. Just amazing. I would even say it's the best lower round drafting in the entire history of the franchise.

Think of recent stars. The safeties, including Fuller. Kobie Turner. Jones is a 3rd rounder. Nacua a 5th rounder. Williams a 5th rounder. They also have a good eye for budget trades and budget free agents (Witherspoon, Dotson, Freeman).

I think they're also good at hiring effective position coaches so that helps too.

Actually from 2017-2021 their performance in the 2nd round hasn't been spectacular--more like just okay at best, and sometimes not even that. Most of their 2nd rounders have been traded away or allowed to walk (Everett, Rapp, Akers, Jefferson). But then--maybe they've fixed that. They haven't had a great 2nd round like like Avila since Saffold in 2010. But maybe Avila is a sign of them having fixed that.

2024 is supposed to be an amazingly loaded draft. So if they trade the 1st rounder down, as you say I completely trust them with that. They will get players with those picks. I have no good reason to doubt that.

I also trust that in 2024 they will turn up more bargain trades and bargain FAs. And "ronin" types (ie. veteran cuts). Guys like Shelton and Freeman etc. Starters for nothing.

by Haden
7 months 6 days ago
 Total posts:   2144  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

If we can get a stud LT and add a couple of other upgrades, we will be strong contenders in 2024.

by /zn/
7 months 2 days ago
 Total posts:   6810  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

J.B. Long@JB_Long
No telling where it goes from here, but personally very glad the Rams chose to retool rather than rebuild. So many lasting benefits to this climb back to contention, in my opinion. Performances during this win streak validate they were right to bet on themselves.
I’m saying it early specifically because it’s not dependent on the final five outcomes. They swept two divisions foes. Have shown on offense and defense they are worthy of being in playoff contention. Rebuilding with 9 and 99 playing like this would have been unfortunate.

Yep. Now they have a more experienced young team coming up on an off-season where they have picks, cap space, & the same knack for finding bargain free agents & bargain trades.

Playing 2023 for 2024 could have been hard to watch (and sometimes was) but they both set up 24 AND showed well in 23.

They did a lot of things and got a lot of things right. Some they didn't (#2 qb before Wentz, kicker). But they got so much right too.

by snackdaddy
7 months 2 days ago
 Total posts:   9721  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Yeah, they're in better position than many expected. And basically, it's based on their seeming over achievement in performance this year. I hope they use their first round pick to select a player. But we'll see. If they do, that means they like somebody in that slot. If they don't, that means they've traded it for a vet or traded down for more capital. I trust these guys 100%. As far as "not banking on" getting talent in the lower rounds, I disagree. They seem to always find a gem or two. 3rd round down, they've found many they utilize. Kupp, JJ, JR, Ebukam, SJD, Gaines, Edwards, Scott, Fuller, Jones, Skowronek, Kyren, Kendricks, Yeast, Young, Turner and Puka. That ain't too bad is it? It's a good time to be a Ram fan!!

If they trade the first pick I think I'd rather it be a trade down if there isn't someone they really like when their turn comes. If they can stay in the first round, maybe they can get themselves an extra day 3 pick.

Depends on where they finish. If they make the playoffs the lowest they can be is 18. According to the trade calculator trading back to around 30 and 62 would be similar value.

There's a lot that goes into those decisions. If their turn comes and the guy(s) they coveted has been picked maybe they consider trading down. Especially if they think the plan B guy will still be there. Not to mention someone has to covet a particular player when their turn comes.

All in all I think I'd rather stand pat. Whatever they do nothing is guaranteed. But to me trading the first pick for an established vet only works if you have an already good roster and you're trying to find the missing piece to get over the hump. Stafford was that guy in 2021. I don't think they have that kind of roster just yet.

by PARAM
7 months 2 days ago
 Total posts:   12320  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:If they trade the first pick I think I'd rather it be a trade down if there isn't someone they really like when their turn comes. If they can stay in the first round, maybe they can get themselves an extra day 3 pick.

Depends on where they finish. If they make the playoffs the lowest they can be is 18. According to the trade calculator trading back to around 30 and 62 would be similar value.

There's a lot that goes into those decisions. If their turn comes and the guy(s) they coveted has been picked maybe they consider trading down. Especially if they think the plan B guy will still be there. Not to mention someone has to covet a particular player when their turn comes.

All in all I think I'd rather stand pat. Whatever they do nothing is guaranteed. But to me trading the first pick for an established vet only works if you have an already good roster and you're trying to find the missing piece to get over the hump. Stafford was that guy in 2021. I don't think they have that kind of roster just yet.

There certainly is a lot that goes into those decisions. Wherever they are picking, if they've got their eye on multiple players and somebody really wants a certain player, the trade value chart might not be adhered to so stringently. The way I look at it is: "we are deciding between player A, B and C. You want a particular player. You came to us so what do you have to offer over and above the trade value chart?"

I'm with you though. We've developed a number of young players and who knows how many more are on the cusp? Stand pat, get a bonified stud in the first and get stronger. Work your 3rd, 4th and 5th round magic again. But please, please do a good job in the 2nd too.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Jul 08 2024