171 posts
  • 3 / 18
 by rams1974
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   526  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

The talk of the Rams cutting or trading Ramsey smacks of the 2010s talk of the Rams trading Steven Jackson to the Patriots, like the Rams will just say, "well everyone is saying we should do it, so I guess we will do it."

Sometimes the media gets a little ahead of itself in its ability to influence opinion and thinks it can influence reality ..

by snackdaddy
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9721  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

If they think they can compete next season trading one of your top players wouldn't make sense. Unless you get an all pro left tackle out of it.

by majik
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1210  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

You trade Jalen Ramsey you need to replace an All-Pro CB and and All-Pro DT with this draft capital you fantasize about acquiring.

The Rams window is the next two seasons, trading Ramsey slams that window shut for the hope that your draft capital allows you to acquire enough top shelf talent on the hope that the stars to align at some point down the road to be as competitive as the current HEALTHY roster is now

by rams1974
1 year 4 months ago
Veteran

My two cents, the concept of a "window" is an idea sold by teams to make their fans understand that they can't be consistently competitive, and they should just accept the team is going to be mediocre to bad for certain stretches. Which certain other teams have proven is kind of a falsehood. I hope (and believe) the Rams are not thinking in those terms.

by PARAM
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12319  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

rams1974 wrote:My two cents, the concept of a "window" is an idea sold by teams to make their fans understand that they can't be consistently competitive, and they should just accept the team is going to be mediocre to bad for certain stretches. Which certain other teams have proven is kind of a falsehood. I hope (and believe) the Rams are not thinking in those terms.

To me, "window" means being a playoff team, not necessarily a Superbowl team. The New England Patriots window went from 2001 to 2018. That's 18 years. How did they do it? It can be said with a little cheating but that only took a very good team and got them over the hump.

They kept that window open by not paying their QB the highest salary for his position. They kept it open by finding guys as interested in winning as much as making money. Sometimes more so. They didn't waste time on 'problem players', trading them away or releasing them.

Now it appears their window has closed. Maybe thats true, maybe it's not. The Rams window started when they hired McVay and has only been derailed by injuries (2019, 2022). Their window will exist as long as McVay is the head coach.

by rams1974
1 year 4 months ago
Veteran

Their window will exist as long as McVay is the head coach.

Well, maybe, but I'll challenge you on that. Should we as fans accept that? After McVay is gone, do we assume that we go back to wandering the desert? 7-9 bull@#$%, lah-de-dah? (I am not saying you are saying this, using hyperbole as example)

I certainly hope Demoff and co do not plan to function that way - they have a big enough challenge ahead of them converting fans in LA when they win!

by JackPMiller
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
Superstar

PARAM wrote:To me, "window" means being a playoff team, not necessarily a Superbowl team. The New England Patriots window went from 2001 to 2018. That's 18 years. How did they do it? It can be said with a little cheating but that only took a very good team and got them over the hump.

They kept that window open by not paying their QB the highest salary for his position. They kept it open by finding guys as interested in winning as much as making money. Sometimes more so. They didn't waste time on 'problem players', trading them away or releasing them.

Now it appears their window has closed. Maybe thats true, maybe it's not. The Rams window started when they hired McVay and has only been derailed by injuries (2019, 2022). Their window will exist as long as McVay is the head coach.

I'm already predicting that McVay is going to retire after this season. Also, I believe that Matt Stafford and Aaron Donald will retire after the 2023 season as well.

by Elvis
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38917  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

rams1974 wrote:Well, maybe, but I'll challenge you on that. Should we as fans accept that? After McVay is gone, do we assume that we go back to wandering the desert? 7-9 bull@#$%, lah-de-dah? (I am not saying you are saying this, using hyperbole as example)

I certainly hope Demoff and co do not plan to function that way - they have a big enough challenge ahead of them converting fans in LA when they win!

I guess it depends who the next HC would be.

I know it's simplistic but HC and QB are your window. Yeah other stuff matters but if you got those two, you probably got a decent shot every year.

If you don't, you've got close to no shot...

by BrooklynRam74
1 year 4 months ago
 Total posts:   237  
Rookie

• 3 / 18
171 posts Jul 05 2024