55 posts
  • 5 / 6
 by den-the-coach
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Veteran

max wrote:If the Rose Bowl is out, then this is a big problem for the NFL.

There is no way they can have the Raiders and Chargers both play in the Coliseum. The field will be a mess with the college games going on there as well. I can't imagine that going on for 3 years, and that's what choosing Carson would cause.

Now I hope you're right Sir Max, however, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim Stadium and Stub Hub in Carson are three other stadiums that could be approved as well.

by OldSchool
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1750  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

IMO they want to dictate their terms not be in a bidding war with the NFL. They're flexing their muscles based on being one of if not the best option to host temporary NFL games.

by AltiTude Ram
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2198  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

den-the-coach wrote:

There is no way they can have the Raiders and Chargers both play in the Coliseum. The field will be a mess with the college games going on there as well. I can't imagine that going on for 3 years, and that's what choosing Carson would cause.

Now I hope you're right Sir Max, however, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim Stadium and Stub Hub in Carson are three other stadiums that could be approved as well.

You're right Den that those other venues are still available but can you imagine being the 2nd team signed up to play in a non-football stadium? Dodger Stadium and Angel stadium can be renovated to fit football but they still aren't anywhere near the Rose Bowl in hosting an NFL game. Not to mention Stub Hub only seats less than 30,000. I can't see one team settling for less while the other gets the Coliseum and there is no way they fit both with USC in there. It's looking more and more like the Rams and maybe...maybe a 2nd team to join later after Inglewood is built. JMO

by Elvis
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38903  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/nfl- ... iseum.html

USC hopes to welcome NFL team to Coliseum in 2016

July 9, 2015 Updated 8:29 p.m.
BY SCOTT M. REID / STAFF WRITER

USC is seeking to play host to an NFL franchise on a temporary basis at the Coliseum as early as the 2016 season, USC officials confirmed Thursday.

The NFL would need another stadium to host a team if two teams choose to relocate to Southern California because a clause in USC’s lease allows only one NFL team to play at the Coliseum.

NFL officials have been in contact with representatives for the Coliseum, Dodger Stadium, the Rose Bowl, Angel Stadium and StubHub Center for more than a year about playing host to one or two NFL teams on a temporary basis while construction is completed on either a $1.86 billon Inglewood stadium backed by Rams owner Stan Kroenke, or a $1.75 billion venue in Carson proposed by the Chargers and Raiders.

“Under the terms of its lease with the Coliseum Commission, USC is permitted to allow up to one NFL team to play in the Coliseum on a temporary basis (up to 4 years) at any given time,” USC senior vice president Todd R. Dickey said in a statement to the Register. “USC will be responding to the NFL’s RFP (Request For Proposal) and we hope to welcome an NFL team into the Coliseum starting in the 2016 season.”

The NFL wants groups interested in playing host to league teams on a temporary basis to submit their bids by Aug. 5. The temporary venue issue will be among the topics covered in a special NFL owners meeting Aug. 11 in Chicago dealing with the Los Angeles situation.

In addition to officials at USC, the NFL continues to have talks with the Dodgers about the availability of Chavez Ravine. Dodgers president Stan Kasten declined comment Thursday. NFL officials continue to be intrigued with the idea of playing games at Dodger Stadium, although there would be a number of logistical hurdles to overcome.

Rose Bowl officials decided earlier this week not to pursue playing host to the NFL. Anschutz Entertainment Group officials are still weighing whether to submit a bid. While the 27,000-seat capacity of the Galaxy’s home stadium is much smaller than existing NFL stadiums, AEG officials believe the venue has special features that would enhance fan experience. Anaheim city officials said any decision on whether to submit a bid to the NFL is up to the Angels. Angels officials were unavailable for comment Thursday afternoon.

Hollywood Park Land Company officials said the Inglewood stadium would be ready for the 2018 season.

The Chargers and Raiders said a new stadium would entail 28 to 32 months of construction once the league approves a relocation request. The NFL could approve one or two teams relocating as early as December, according to league officials.

Any relocation requires the approval of three-quarters of the NFL's 32 owners.

By the NFL handling negotiations to secure a temporary venue or venues, NFL officials said, it removes a potential impediment for teams in their negotiations in their current home markets.

The Coliseum, home to USC since 1923, has been called home by all three teams considering relocating to Southern California. The Rams played there from 1948-79 before the franchise moved to Anaheim. The Raiders played in the Coliseum from 1982-94 before returning to Oakland. The Chargers played in the stadium in 1960.

Register staff writer Bill Plunkett contributed to this report.

Contact the writer: sreid@ocregister.com

by AltiTude Ram
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2198  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Funny how the Rose Bowl backs out the same time the Coliseum commits. I guess they couldn't commit to the things the NFL was asking for and the Coliseum can.

It sounds like it's already set. One team and one stadium. I wonder which one?

Honestly there was only 2 stadiums that could host an NFL team for a couple of years. The Coliseum and the Rose Bowl. If it was going to be 2 teams then both stadiums would need to be in. The Rose Bowl backed out and it looks like the Coliseum is all in. That sends a clear sign that it's only one team.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm?

by max
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5591  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

den-the-coach wrote:

A huge issue is the 3 years or more playing in one of those venues. Not a pretty image for the NFLs new crown jewel. And my bet is that the baseball stadiums won't agree to it.

The image of the Chargers playing 3 years in a tiny college stadium is pure rinky dink.

by den-the-coach
8 years 11 months ago
Veteran

AltiTude Ram wrote:
You're right Den that those other venues are still available but can you imagine being the 2nd team signed up to play in a non-football stadium? Dodger Stadium and Angel stadium can be renovated to fit football but they still aren't anywhere near the Rose Bowl in hosting an NFL game. Not to mention Stub Hub only seats less than 30,000. I can't see one team settling for less while the other gets the Coliseum and there is no way they fit both with USC in there. It's looking more and more like the Rams and maybe...maybe a 2nd team to join later after Inglewood is built. JMO

Great points in the end if somebody throws money at it maybe the Rose Bowl committee changes their minds, but it would not be as easy with the other venues.

by den-the-coach
8 years 11 months ago
Veteran

max wrote:
den-the-coach wrote:
A huge issue is the 3 years or more playing in one of those venues. Not a pretty image for the NFLs new crown jewel. And my bet is that the baseball stadiums won't agree to it.

The image of the Chargers playing 3 years in a tiny college stadium is pure rinky dink.

Totally concur Max and when you look at the big picture there is truly only one answer...Let the Rams move and if another team wants to join them in a couple years so be it. You either put up or shut up and I'm getting tired of Spanos and his favorite song.

• 5 / 6
55 posts Jun 26 2024