5 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

only the hapless raiders and bucs defenses have given up more offensive plays of 30+ yards than the rams defense, i.e. the rams defense ranks a dismal 30th in offensive plays of 30+ yards allowed.

offensive plays of 30+ yards only make up 2.5% of all nfl offensive plays through week 10, yet they account for a hefty 17.5% of all offensive tds scored.... in the rams case, 30+ yard plays have accounted for 3.7% of the plays the rams have defended, and a whopping 26% of the offensive tds they've allowed, no bueno.

looking at the offensive side of the ball, the rams rank 8th in plays of 30+ yards, such plays have accounted for 2.9% of the plays they've run, and 16.7% of the tds they've scored.

here's to hoping the rams defense can figure a few things out before next monday night, given the chiefs' offense ranks league best in plays of 30+ yards, yikes.

VirtualBox_2018-11-16_01-53-08.png

by ramsman34
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8462  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

KC has only given up ONE 30+ yd TD, compared to our 7. Yikes is right. They haven't played the Saints or Packers, but have the Chargers. So we have possibly faced better and more, big-play teams - if there is any solace in that.

by Hacksaw
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Peters comes to mind. He has to be responsible for at least half of them.

I'd hate to see Watkins get over the top.

Rams need to tackle better and I'm praying our D backfield is up for this one.

No crapping the bed in the biggest game of the year on national TV in front of everyone. This game we can climb upon the mountaintop.

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Just some random scattered thoughts.

Plays of 30+ yards are not common because obviouosly they are harder to achieve. But when they do occur, they can dramatically switch momentum and reverse the field. That's why defenses work to avoid them and offenses that are good at producing such plays cultivate them.

Just staying on the offensive side of it, I've looked at those numbers over the years just on passing plays, and teams that make them a fairly regular part of their offense do it on around 5% or more of total attempts. You don't need them but if you're good at them, they have value.

Some examples of different qbs. (These are not quite up to date because espn splits are usually a week behind.)

Attempts of 31+ yards. Ranked by percentage of total attempts. On this stat, any completion percentage of 25% is decent, 33% is good, 50% or better is superlative .

Rivers, 6.5% of attempts, 50% completions
Roethlisberger, 5.9% of attempts, 15% completions
Mahomes: 5.2% of attempts, 33% completions
Brady: 4% of attempts, 20% completions
Goff, 3.7% of attempts, 36% completions
Wilson, 3.6% of attempts, 55% completions
Brees: 1.7% of attempts, 20% completions

Brees proves you don't need it. Rivers proves it's nice if you can do it and worth the risk.

by snackdaddy
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9630  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I wonder how many of those are yards after catch? Not to mention the running game's yards after first contact. Seems like our defense does not tackle well. Especially the secondary. Hill was terrible on a few plays.

• 1 / 1
5 posts Mar 28 2024