171 posts
  • 17 / 18
 by sloramfan
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

"ha ha, could they make wade look any older, yikes!"

how about sean mcvay?.. it looks like his arms could use a visit from his beard trimmer..

and his face looks like a burn victim/survivor...

thats just a weird photo... weird lines all over it..

go rams

slo

ps thanks for the bump, that was a great reread..

by HAL 9000
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1009  
United States of America   Jupiter
Pro Bowl

Remember this article by Jared Dubin Aug 22, 2017

Martz is not enthused by the hire, to say the least.

"What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared. The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You've got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke. Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid."

Woo boy. Martz did not hold back there.

It'll obviously be some time before we see how the Goff and McVay partnership pans out, but while the hire has been met with ringing endorsements in other circles, it's notable to see a former Rams coach slam it like this.

There is a reason Martz is now watching instead of coaching.

by PARAM
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12186  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Martz was so polarizing. Very few were ambivalent on Martz. Let's agree on some facts.

1. He was innovative
2. He was aggressive
3. He was unapologetic for anything that failed
4. He was unapologetic for anything that succeeded (and embarrassed the opposition)
5. He had his shortcomings
6. He became a pariah
7. He was the best Rams head coach since George Allen.
8. He seems bitter (and who wouldn't be?)

IMHO, he was Sean McVay before there was Sean McVay, as far as numbers 1-4. And McVay is the Rams best head coach since Martz. Let's hope he doesn't aquire numbers 5-8. He's a lot different than Martz in those respects so I don't think he will.

by Hacksaw
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Martz may have been the best OC the Rams had had in decades (since Pool, Gillman, Stydahar, and Allen's crews) or since up to McVay.
HC not so much imo.

by SWAdude
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Hacksaw wrote:Martz may have been the best OC the Rams had had in decades (since Pool, Gillman, Stydahar, and Allen's crews) or since up to McVay.
HC not so much imo.

Completely agree.

Saying Martz was the best HC since Allen ignores Knox, Robinson and Vermeil?

Martz as a HC rode that time for a couple good years then predictably ran it off the cliff.

Martz has not been successful in any capacity since.

by PARAM
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12186  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

SWAdude wrote:Completely agree.

Saying Martz was the best HC since Allen ignores Knox, Robinson and Vermeil?

Martz as a HC rode that time for a couple good years then predictably ran it off the cliff.

Martz has not been successful in any capacity since.

I beg to differ.

Martz. 54-31 regular season record. 3-4 in postseason. Got the Rams into SB36.

Knox? Great regular season record....54-15-1 (.779) and a 3-5 postseason total. Never got the Rams into the Superbowl.

Robinson? 75-68 (.524) regular season record.....4-6 in the postseason. Never got the Rams to a Superbowl.

Vermeil? 22-26 (.458) regular season record......3-0 in the postseason. Superbowl Champion. Never would have been possible without Martz's offense. I love DV. I respected him when he was the coach of the Eagles. Hell he's so beloved, he still does commercials for Blue Cross/Blue Shield in PA. Class 100% all the way. But had he not hired Martz, he'd have been gone after 1999 and I believe the Rams would not have been SB Champs. JMHO.

The Rams, from 1990 - 2016 without Martz at HC, were 111-219-1 (.337), including Vermeil's 13-3 season. With Martz they were 54-31 (.635). Outside of the one season with Martz's offense tearing up the NFL what was the most exciting and rewarding time for Ram fans?

IMHO, McVay seems better. :D

by SWAdude
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:I beg to differ.

Martz. 54-31 regular season record. 3-4 in postseason. Got the Rams into SB36.

Knox? Great regular season record....54-15-1 (.779) and a 3-5 postseason total. Never got the Rams into the Superbowl.

Robinson? 75-68 (.524) regular season record.....4-6 in the postseason. Never got the Rams to a Superbowl.

Vermeil? 22-26 (.458) regular season record......3-0 in the postseason. Superbowl Champion. Never would have been possible without Martz's offense. I love DV. I respected him when he was the coach of the Eagles. Hell he's so beloved, he still does commercials for Blue Cross/Blue Shield in PA. Class 100% all the way. But had he not hired Martz, he'd have been gone after 1999 and I believe the Rams would not have been SB Champs. JMHO.

The Rams, from 1990 - 2016 without Martz at HC, were 111-219-1 (.337), including Vermeil's 13-3 season. With Martz they were 54-31 (.635). Outside of the one season with Martz's offense tearing up the NFL what was the most exciting and rewarding time for Ram fans?

With all due respect, your matrix is all over the map.

But understand your point of view.

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Yes McVay was a good hire, he has a lot of promise, but I am going to hold off on judging him until he proves he can coach a couple of consecutive winning seasons. And on that we will probably have to wait until the Rams find a quarterback.

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

martz is a cautionary tale in terms of how mercurial nfl praise can be, he was a "genius" when he first hit the scene with the rams, the toast of the town, the guy who thumbed his nose at old-school nfl convention and threw the ball whenever he wanted... but the jackals were practically waiting in line to take shots at him as his star faded, of course he didn't do himself any favors given how he treated the media... and how about linehan, the 32-year-old offensive wunderkind hired as the rams hc in an effort to keep the gsot breathing, an epic fail... unfortunately, sadly, mcvay is no different - if the rams ever start to stumble, or fail, all of the positives he's brought to the table (youth, innovation, energy, etc.) will become negatives, alas...

• 17 / 18
171 posts Mar 29 2024