20 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

seems that the latest nfl jabber includes the chiefs owning a much improved defense to go along with their power-house offense, but is that really the case?

in their last 4 games the chiefs have held opponent offenses to only 14, 21, 23 and 10 points for a meager 17.0 per game average - pretty damn impressive, too bad the offenses they faced during the 4-game stretch weren't equally impressive, instead they ranked 32nd, 20th, 22nd and 15th in offensive scoring.

all told, the chiefs defense has faced only 3 top 10 scoring offenses through week 10, and they've allowed 28, 35 and 43 offensive points in those games for an astronomical 35.3 per game average, yikes!

through week 10 the rams rank 3rd in offensive points scored, averaging 31.7 offensive points per game, and will be the highest ranked scoring offense the chiefs have faced this season:

q01.png

and what about the flipside, is it a foregone conclusion that the rams defense will cough up at least 30+ points to the chiefs?

the chiefs have faced only 1 team ranked in the top 10 in offensive points allowed, the bolts, and they hung 31 on them, but several teams outside of the top 10 have kept from being embarrassed by the chiefs' offense, including the broncos (27 offensive points allowed in week 4), the jags (23 in week 5), and the cards just last week (26)... can the rams defense make a similarly respectable showing or will they join the 30+ club, i.e. the other 7 teams that the chiefs have hung 31+ offensive points on?

q02.png

by Claremontram
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   226  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

I think this Rams team of ours will be highly motivated being at home and will dominate KC.

Peters will have a good game. So will Donald and Suh.

Mahomes will limp back to KC. And Goff will light it up, sans Kupp.

McVay and Wade have been waiting for this one.

Rams 45-KC 28.

How's that for optimism?

by PARAM
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12181  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't care how much they give up to the Chiefs as long as they lay more on them when they have the ball. Hell all the "experts" are expecting a 41-38 shootout anyway. I say, hold em under 40 and win it!!!!

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   624  
Veteran

No, the Chiefs defense is worse than the Rams. I watched the Chiefs vs Cardinals. The only thing the Chiefs have is two outside pass rushers. The rest of the defense is lousy. I think McVay will confuse and confound them.

They are not good at covering the TE or running back catching passes. They are only able to stop the run when they load the box. I believe that their usual big lead causes opponents to get pass happy and it simplifies things for them. They use extra DBs and get coverage sacks.

A balanced attack is a real problem for this team.

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 4 months ago
Veteran

After watching the Patriots/Titans game it's hard to believe the Patriots were able to put up so many points against the Chiefs. The Pats offense didn't look good and Brady is finally starting to show his age.

by max
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

So far this year, Gurley's longest run is only 29 yards.

Take the over on 29 yards for this game.

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elmgrovegnome wrote:After watching the Patriots/Titans game it's hard to believe the Patriots were able to put up so many points against the Chiefs. The Pats offense didn't look good and Brady is finally starting to show his age.

I wonder how much of that had to do with Vrabel just knowing Brady (and the Patz OL).

by Elmgrovegnome
5 years 4 months ago
Veteran

/zn/ wrote:I wonder how much of that had to do with Vrabel just knowing Brady (and the Patz OL).

Eh, former coaches played against Brady before. It didn't give them any advantage. Brady still shredded them. This year Brady does not look as consistent, especially under pressure.

They played the Chiefs early on. Maybe the Brady is starting to wear down.

by /zn/
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elmgrovegnome wrote:Eh, former coaches played against Brady before. It didn't give them any advantage. Brady still shredded them. This year Brady does not look as consistent, especially under pressure.

They played the Chiefs early on. Maybe the Brady is starting to wear down.

Unless Vrabel is just better than those others.

And it could be Brady.

But the drop off from any previous game this year is dramatic. The only other game that looks this bad on his part was Detroit.

by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

speaking of ugly defensive play, here's a look at what the vikes, seahawks 1, packers, saints and seahawks 2 did with their offensive drives against the rams defense... all told, they put up an average of 33.0 offensive points per game, and scored a combined 20 tds on their 51 drives.

especially ugly was a 15-drive stretch spanning the last three games - the stretch includes the last 3 drives of the packers game, the saints game, and the first 2 drives of last week's seattle game... combined, the packers, saints and seahawks scored a whopping 10 tds during this 15-drive stretch while putting up an incredible 73 offensive points, the equivalent of 48.7 offensive points per game. :shock2:

VirtualBox_2018-11-17_01-55-59.png

• 1 / 2
20 posts Mar 28 2024