by aeneas1
5 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

fans love sports uniforms, ha ha.....

-----------------------------------------------------

UNI-WATCH
Why Do the Rams Look Bad but the Chiefs Look Okay?
By Paul Lukas, on November 13th, 2018
https://uni-watch.com/2018/11/13/why-do ... look-okay/

a01.png

Reader Kyle Seely got in touch the other day to raise an interesting point. He noted that we all seem to agree that the Rams’ current uniform setup is a mess, thanks to the gold trim on the jersey but the absence of gold on the helmet. But then he pointed out that the Chiefs have a similar situation, with lots of yellow trim on their jersey (and pants, and socks) but not even a touch of yellow on their helmet. Both teams even have white facemasks. And yet most of us, myself included, have no problem with the Chiefs.

“Why do I get that fingernails-on-a-chalkboard feeling when I look at the Rams, but I see a harmonious symphony of design when I look at the Chiefs?” Kyle asked me. “Is it because the Chiefs have secretly snuck black into their helmets with the outline of the arrowhead and the lettering? Is there some other logical explanation?”

Good question! I’ve been puzzling over this one for a few days now. For whatever reason, the Rams situation bugs me but the Chiefs situation does not. Why is that?

Maybe it has to do with the colors involved. The Rams’ helmet shell is dark navy while the horn decals and facemask are white. So to me, it almost feels like the Rams’ helmet is appearing in black-and-white while the rest of the uni is in color. The Chiefs’ setup is different, because the shell is red.

Or maybe, as Kyle suggested, it has something to do with the use of black trim on the Chiefs’ helmet. Does that change the equation somehow?

One additional note: Yellow hasn’t always been quite so prominent on the Chiefs’ uniforms. If you look at large photos from Super Bowl I and Super Bowl IV, you’ll see that the yellow outlining on the jersey numbers was so thin as to be barely visible (although there was still plenty of yellow on the sleeve stripes, pants piping, and socks). According to the Gridiron Uniform Database, the outlining on the numbers was thickened in 1970 and has remained thick ever since. In any case, the assorted bits of yellow in KC’s uniform have never bothered me, even though they’re not repeated on the helmet.

94 comments to Why Do the Rams Look Bad but the Chiefs Look Okay?

> There’s not a ton of white on the Chiefs’ helmet, and so it looks a little more balanced. ALSO, we’re all used to the Chiefs’ setup.

> Came here for this. This is a recency bias. We are predisposed to dislike the rams uni set up because it was a lazy, half-assed change. The Chiefs have looked the same for decades.

> But did the Chiefs look wrong the first time you saw it?

> I never thought about the Chiefs being “wrong” (no black beyond the helmet, no gold on the helmet) and it’s all they’ve ever done. Like the Montana-era 49ers had black on the helmet logo but nowhere else, and it wasn’t a big deal. In my opinion, the Rams’ current look is jarring because they had a more cohesive look and then made partial changes for the worse. It was piecemeal, and the parts they kept don’t go with the changes they made.

> I agree with the recency bias BUT it always bugged me. Being a Raider fan, we got to see the Chiefs a lot, and since I was a kid it looked wrong. But like it was previysyated, we’re used to it.

> Rams-Chiefs theory: The gold shoulder stripe on the Rams jersey is more prominent than the yellow stripes on the Chiefs jersey (which are surrounded by red). Put your thumbs over the gold shoulder stripes on the Rams jersey and suddenly the gold trim on the numbers doesn’t look that bad.

I also agree with the theory about the red versus navy. Could someone reverse the colors on these same images so that the Chiefs are navy and gold, and the Rams are red and yellow? Would love to see that side-by-side to compare.

> Totally agree with the stripe thing. Covered them up and suddenly I love the outfit. If only they went with that mixed with the blue and yellow…

> Concur.

> I think there are two big reasons why the Chiefs uniforms are more palatable than the Rams. The first is familiarity, as others have already mentioned. We’re used to seeing the Chiefs in that uniform set, whereas the Rams originally paired that jersey with pants and a helmet that both also included the gold. Their current uniform set is a known bridge between the old set and a new one, and it looks the part. The other reason is the pants and socks. Kansas City may not have any yellow on their helmet, but both their pants and socks do, whereas the Rams also lack the gold on those elements of their respective set.

> Agreed. If the Rams kept gold in the pants and added gold stripes to the socks it would be much better.

The other issue at play is the horns on the helmet. There is a lot more white and less blue than it is for the Chiefs from white to red. I think if you had just a logo on the side for Rams it would be different.

> I think the biggest abomination with the Rams is the inclusion of White facemasks. When you think of the Rams’ helmets, you think of the horns. The White facemasks intertwine with the White horns, and draw attention away from the decals. Should have stayed Navy. I don’t know why they let “fans” decide these things.

and many, many more ......

• 1 / 1
1 post Mar 28 2024