48 posts
  • 4 / 5
 by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Back to Okoronkwo...

We know that historically RB is probably the position that a rookie outa the NCAA can have the MOST impact in the NFL over other positions.....agreed?

NFL RB POSITION COACH INSTRUCTIONS TO ROOKIE NFL RB:
Take ball from QB handoff.
Run for your life.
Do not fumble!!!!
TRANSLATION: Follow your base instincts developed over your NCAA career!

BUT.....isn't ER (Edge Rusher) also VERY SIMILAR IN ITS SIMPLICITY?

NFL ER POSITION COACH INSTRUCTIONS TO ROOKIE NFL Edge Rusher:
Get quick jump on snap.
See opposing QB.
Tackle opposing QB.
Do not land on top of opposing QB!!!!!
TRANSLATION: Follow your base instincts developed over your NCAA career! :idea2:

For the above reason, I dispute the nay-sayers who contend that there is no way for Obo to have any significant impact for Los Ramos in 2018. I say that as an ER, in strictly passing situations, Obo CAN be effective for us by just following his QB-killer instincts developed at Oklahoma, AND DESPITE THE FACT HE MISSED THE RAMS' TC AND PS, ETC ETC.

Nota Bene:
Back in 2014, a guy named Boylhart at Huddle Report railed about how crazy it was that Aaron Donald was available as far down as Pick #13 in Round One of the 2014 Draft. That same Boylhart guy tabbed Obo as "the best pure pass rusher in the 2018 Draft." (or words to that effect). My theory....since Boylhart was so 101% correctamundo on Aaron Donald's future NFL prowess, maybe he also may be the harbinger of instant good results for Obo in the NFL as well!! :idea2:

Time will tell.

by /zn/
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:BUT.....isn't ER (Edge Rusher) also VERY SIMILAR IN ITS SIMPLICITY?

NFL ER POSITION COACH INSTRUCTIONS TO ROOKIE NFL Edge Rusher:
Get quick jump on snap.
See opposing QB.
Tackle opposing QB.
Do not land on top of opposing QB!!!!!

No, it's not as simple. It's a much harder transition than RB. An edge rusher has to directly go against a veteran OT who can see exactly what the rusher is doing and has plenty of experience countering it. The more experience a pass rusher has, the more he has developed counter moves and learned how to read how the veteran LOT is reading HIM and then how to respond to that.

Rookies can do some stuff. Kevin Greene had zero sacks as a rookie (best years: 16.5, twice). But then Kevin Carter had 6 sacks as a rookie (best year: 17). Farr had 1 (best year: 11.5). Wistrom had 3 (best year: 11). Leonard Little had 0.5 (best year: 14.5). But then Quinn had 5 (best year: 19). Donald had 9, though to be fair he's a freak of nature and a born hall of famer.

So as a rule---usually---rookie pass rushers don't do much. But that's not the death of hope and the dry desert of resignation, because some HAVE. As I said some defy the "usual" thing. There was a rookie in 2016 who got 8 or more sacks and one in 2017 too (and neither was a first rounder).

The odds are against it, but maybe he's more like Carter or Quinn than like Greene or Farr (I know I am mixing up positions, doesn't matter at this point). That is, assuming he has anything at all (he wouldn't be the first promising college pass rusher to not pan out in the pros if that's what happens.)

Either way, if he is a nice exception and gets some good production as a rookie, I promise not to complain about it too much. 8-)

I won't turn the tv off in disgust and sulk the rest of the night if he gets sacks. Scout's honor.

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 5 months ago
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Nice to see you are keeping an open mind about Obo 2018 potential zn! :)

....and I appreciate your well-researched explanation as well. It was much more pleasurable & informed reading than Dick84's one word rejection. :idea2:

by RamsFanSince82
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

Rookie OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, selected in the 5th round from Oklahoma, has begun practicing with the team after spending the first 6 weeks on the PUP list because of a broken foot suffered during the offseason program. The Rams have 3 weeks to decide to activate Okoronkwo or place him on IR. Sean McVay said that Okoronkwo would have to earn a spot. "We have a lot of confidence in what he put on tape," McVay said. "It's a reason why we wanted to be able to get him here, but haven't seen him play a lot of football – really, any football for that matter. Looking forward to just seeing him compete. See how he fits in and if it's something that we feel like helps our team."

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 5 months ago
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Dick84,
You say tomato, I say tomahto...
You say potato, I say potahto.

You say gift, I say fat chance! :lol2:

You say efficiency, I say surface-skimmer. ;)

J/K, but you gotta admit, "No" does not involve much research eh. :P

by ramsman34
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   8462  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I have watched his college film as best I can. His "moves" - especially the outside spin, will not work in the NFL. They take too long to develop. He lacks strength and power at the point of attack. Is he quick enough to win with speed? Not at this level. He is developmental at best. I doubt he makes the roster unless it is injury driven. He is at least a year away from being an effective to dominant pass rusher. Decent OTs will negate him fairly easily.

by ramsman34
5 years 5 months ago

That said, there is a way to use his initial quicks and instincts to get him unblocked and open up clean shots at the QB. If he out grades Longacre or Ebukam in that regard, there is potential for situational use for him. But, it will cost a spot on the 46. And, he will be a liability in the run defense.

by R4L
5 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

ramsman34 wrote:I have watched his college film as best I can. His "moves" - especially the outside spin, will not work in the NFL. They take too long to develop. He lacks strength and power at the point of attack. Is he quick enough to win with speed? Not at this level. He is developmental at best. I doubt he makes the roster unless it is injury driven. He is at least a year away from being an effective to dominant pass rusher. Decent OTs will negate him fairly easily.

Nice analysis but we haven't seen him play a down yet. He can't be much worse than the OLBs they are lining up now imo.

by ramsman34
5 years 5 months ago

R4L wrote:Nice analysis but we haven't seen him play a down yet. He can't be much worse than the OLBs they are lining up now imo.

Maybe we will see that. I am not so sure. Who comes off the roster for him to be added?

• 4 / 5
48 posts Mar 28 2024