25 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by aeneas1
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

was never much of a gruden fan, cringed when his name surfaced years ago as a possible future rams hc, always thought he was very overrated, altho i do dig his apparent love and commitment to the game... anyway, lovin' that the raiders have looked like crap since he's taken over, since he's shown guys the door as the new the new sheriff in town, loved it even more that mcvay whipped him in his debut, reality check is in full swing...

that said, the local sports talking heads are framing gruden's start, and task at hand, as something like a 10-year plan, it's pretty hysterical, they're saying the job is his for as long as he wants it, and that there is absolutely no urgency in fielding a competitive team, that he's going to take his time, and that 4+ years from now is when you can expect to see the raiders become competitive, by plan... geesh, sign me up for that crap!

by actionjack
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3899  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:was never much of a gruden fan, cringed when his name surfaced years ago as a possible future rams hc, always thought he was very overrated, altho i do dig his apparent love and commitment to the game... anyway, lovin' that the raiders have looked like crap since he's taken over, since he's shown guys the door as the new the new sheriff in town, loved it even more that mcvay whipped him in his debut, reality check is in full swing...

that said, the local sports talking heads are framing gruden's start, and task at hand, as something like a 10-year plan, it's pretty hysterical, they're saying the job is his for as long as he wants it, and that there is absolutely no urgency in fielding a competitive team, that he's going to take his time, and that 4+ years from now is when you can expect to see the raiders become competitive, by plan... geesh, sign me up for that crap!

I never really disliked Gruden originally except that he was the raiders coach. The Raiders are in my top few teams I dislike so again I wasnt much a fan. I have to be honest when his name was mentioned for the Rams job I was hopeful we would get him, mostly because I thought he would at a minimum get more out of Goff and the offense. Obviously I am thrilled that Les/Demoff made the decision of their lifetime and got McVay.

Now to present day I thoroughly enjoyed the Rams crushing the Raiders particularly in the second half, it was a thing of beauty. The thing that has made me lose respect for Gruden is his handling of the Mack deal. Just be a man and say you didnt have that type of money to pay him, dont lie to everyone and put this on Mack not wanting to there. I hope Gruden takes the Raiders down with him.

by Haden
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2131  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Gruden is well past the zenith of his career. Just another Raiders/Davis error (reminds me of the old Rams days). Davis is a moron, but we knew that just from his haircut.

by Elvis
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Because McVay is from the Gruden tree i think i'm little easier on the guy than i would be otherwise...

by rams74
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

actionjack wrote:The thing that has made me lose respect for Gruden is his handling of the Mack deal. Just be a man and say you didnt have that type of money to pay him, dont lie to everyone and put this on Mack not wanting to there. I hope Gruden takes the Raiders down with him.

I understand what you're saying here, and to a degree I agree with it. On the other hand, if Aaron Donald had not come to terms and ended up being traded, I can't escape the notion that I would have thought that he didn't really want to be a Ram. The fact that Donald came to terms and signed allows me to tell myself that being a Ram was ultimately important to him.

I don't fault Gruden for feeling the way he does about Mack. Money was more important than team for Khalil Mack. It probably is for almost all of the players, but that's not an aspect of the sport that appeals much to fans.

by actionjack
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3899  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

rams74 wrote:I understand what you're saying here, and to a degree I agree with it. On the other hand, if Aaron Donald had not come to terms and ended up being traded, I can't escape the notion that I would have thought that he didn't really want to be a Ram. The fact that Donald came to terms and signed allows me to tell myself that being a Ram was ultimately important to him.

I don't fault Gruden for feeling the way he does about Mack. Money was more important than team for Khalil Mack. It probably is for almost all of the players, but that's not an aspect of the sport that appeals much to fans.

Normally I tend to back teams when it comes to contracts and stuff mostly because these huge contracts can really hand-cuff a team. The reason was the Raiders-Mack vs Rams Donald is different is because the Raiders made no effort to sign him. Mack and Gruden had one conversation from what has been reported. The Rams on the other hand have been talking to AD for two years. Dont you find it odd that the Bears sign Mack to a contract days after trading for him. Mack wasnt being unreasonable and had made it known he wanted to play for the Raiders. IMO Gruden is covering for the ownership of the Raiders who do have no money to spend until Vegas.

by rams74
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

actionjack wrote:Normally I tend to back teams when it comes to contracts and stuff mostly because these huge contracts can really hand-cuff a team. The reason was the Raiders-Mack vs Rams Donald is different is because the Raiders made no effort to sign him. Mack and Gruden had one conversation from what has been reported. The Rams on the other hand have been talking to AD for two years. Dont you find it odd that the Bears sign Mack to a contract days after trading for him. Mack wasnt being unreasonable and had made it known he wanted to play for the Raiders. IMO Gruden is covering for the ownership of the Raiders who do have no money to spend until Vegas.

I agree with you completely on the fact that these huge contracts can handcuff teams. Teams can only afford a handful of huge contracts and still build a consistently winning team. And if you're including non-quarterbacks in that handful of huge contracts, then it becomes very problematic. You need to be very careful how those are structured.

And I mostly agree with your assessment of the Raiders situation. But it's not like the Raiders never made Mack an offer -- they did. It just wasn't an offer that Mack's camp was willing to consider. Was Mack being unreasonable? I guess unreasonableness is determined by the eye of the beholder. He was unreasonable for the Raiders' front office, even if it wasn't unreasonable to the Bears.

In the end, though, despite the fact that Gruden did not carry on a dialog with Mack through the process, he had to watch a great asset walk away, and that could not have felt good. Emotions still take over once he's gone. From an emotional perspective, it surely felt like Khalil Mack didn't want to be a Raider (enough to make the difference). I can understand that perspective.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

I like Chucky. His enthusiasm is great. You can see he genuinely loves the game. I also like to see him and the raiders fail.

by RamsFanSince89
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   165  
United States of America   Orcutt, Ca
Rookie

Elvis wrote:Because McVay is from the Gruden tree i think i'm little easier on the guy than i would be otherwise...

I know I’m WAY out of line here. But what if a Sean McVay tree gets created in 15-20 years?

• 1 / 3
25 posts Mar 28 2024