36 posts
  • 4 / 4
 by aeneas1
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:The Rams are on pace to finish the year with 16 sacks... 8 each by Ebukam and Brockers. Everyone else is on pace for zero sacks.

Are those factual, but meaningless, statements clear enough illustrations of why it’s silly to make too much of a small statistical sample?

not sure i follow? is someone suggesting these sort of extrapolations? making these sort of claims?

seems to me that some are simply a bit concerned about the lack of rams sacks through two games, especially given the dream team additions, especially given donald and suh playing together on the dline, i get it.... heck, the rams had 6 sacks through the first two games last season without all of the studly additions, 10 through the first 3 games.

anyway, i'm much more concerned about the rams keeping points off the board, so far so good!

by AvengerRam
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Expressing “disappointment” in specific defensive stats when the team is 2-0, has given up 13 total points, and hasn’t given up a point in 6 quarters strikes me as a bit silly.

by aeneas1
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I haven’t seen anything on percentage of blitzes being sent by Wade.
My impression is not much.
They dialed one up early Sunday & Ebukam flew in for the sack.
I almost feel like Wade is holding back... knowing they didn’t have to throw much at the Cards.

speaking of blitzing, here's a look blitz rankings from last season, defenses are ranked by where they finished in offensive points allowed...

so, for example, the rams ranked:

- 4th in rushing 5 guys.
- 6th in rushing 5+ guys.
- 13th in rushing 6+ guys.
- 19th in rushing 4 guys.
- 29th in sending dbs.

in terms of where the rams sacks came from, dline, secondary (inside lb, backs) and edge rushers:

- the rams ranked 2nd in highest percentage of sacks from the dline.
- last in percentage of sacks from the secondary (inside lb, backs).
- 23rd in sacks from edge rushers.

the jags are interesting - they ranked dead last in sending multiple guys, first in rushing just 4 guys, middle of the pack in sending dbs, yet they finished 2nd in most sacks per pass attempt.

VirtualBox_2018-09-19_02-08-40.png

by aeneas1
5 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Expressing “disappointment” in specific defensive stats when the team is 2-0, has given up 13 total points, and hasn’t given up a point in 6 quarters strikes me as a bit silly.

you have spent time around football fans, right? :D

by AvengerRam
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:you have spent time around football fans, right? :D

Yes...and they can be silly. I have a large sample size that proves that point! 8-)

by /zn/
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:first, the rams ranked 13th last season in yards allowed per pass attempt

The stat I used with was 9th with 5.8. That didn't lead to a conclusion it led to a question.

Namely that led to the question, how does last year break down in comparison to this year's passing attempts (in just 2 games): quick passes, low ypa, a deliberate short passing game.

So far how does this year's 2 games compare to last year, when it comes to that. Of course granting that for 2018 it's just 2 games.

I would actually like to know the answer. In terms of "air yards, i.e. depth of intended pass, and the implied time it takes to throw such passes, and how this impacts sack opportunity" .how does this year compare to last year.

That's why I raised the issue. I said What that means would be clearer if it was all compared to last year.

I would actually like to know. And a response with something actually about THAT would be the only one that would interest me.

• 4 / 4
36 posts Mar 29 2024