56 posts
  • 3 / 6
 by Hacksaw
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

haha, out of the bargain bin. Now every time I see the Giants, I'm going to look twice to see if they are wearing their practice threads.

I never minded our mismatched helmets really. Made the horns pop more of the glossy surface. Jersey not so much.

by 47 Gap
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   143  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

I think there might be a little confusion when we talk about "navy" blue. Navy blue is much closer to a blueish black, which is what the early St. Louis Rams blue was. It's closer to the Notre Dame colors, or what the California Angels wore in the 70's. If you look at Ram photos from 2001 to 2005 you'll notice it's closer to black or "navy." Recently, they've actually put more blue in it, giving it more of a midnight blue, as opposed to the navy.

I hate the navy, St. Louis blue.

Whether, they should go with the midnight or blueberry or the true royal is the main question. I'm happy either way. The real issue for me is getting rid of any trace of the old gold or 49er gold. That gold really sucks.

I prefer the yellow/orange gold that they wore in the 50's, but I'd be happy with the canary yellow of the 70's, too.

Overall, blueberry with yellow/orange gold is my favorite. Royal with canary is also fine.

by 69RamFan
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   3236  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:gotchya... btw does the navy jersey gabe is sporting in the pic you posted strike you as the same shade of royal blue that the rams now sport with their ferragamo's? close to it?

04.jpg

yeah that's the ticket,,,, look at those unis,,, the blue with the white horns...
those were the uniforms I liked when I was a kid...

As far as being the same color as the Vince F days,,,,

I'm sure its some what of a different shade of royal blue color than then 1979 royal blue...
but it was a bright royal blue... back then in the mid 60s and early 70s, I wasn't sure who made those uniforms,,,
and I believe Reebok started to make those 1973 to 1979 Jerseys...

That was one of the reasons why when I was a kid, I pick being a RAMs fan and living in the east coast at the time,,, the horns and the Royal blue and White. Then when they change back to the Royal blue and gold yellow,,, It took a while getting use to...cause I started liking the RAMs during the blue and white era.

But that was California,,, nice weather and bright colors... everyone dream about moving to those west coast beaches and palm trees if you lived in the east coast...

The rest of the league had these dark or plain colors... except for Miami, but they were more of a pastel color.

Plus for some reason,,, to my eyes,,, having those thick big horns on the sleeves,,,,, it made the players look bigger... it was well designed. IMO

Plus another reason why am such a big RAMs fan...
I was around 10yrs old,,, my family was picking up my step brother from the Airport,,, and he was coming out the gate talking with Gab and he was telling him I was a big RAMs fan,,, so he came out and talked to me and gave me his autograph... made my day.... :D :D :D

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:I never minded our mismatched helmets really. Made the horns pop more of the glossy surface. Jersey not so much.

personally i'm not bothered when a team's helmet color doesn't match the jersey shade, but it does bug the crap out of some fans, and some teams... from 1959-1968 the redskins sported what many uniform nerds consider to be the baddest color to ever grace the nfl, a deep burgandy (pictured on the right)... but in 1969, when the redskins took delivery of new jerseys to replace their old ones, they discovered that they were mistakenly sent a sort of brick red jersey color instead of the burgandy (pictured on the left) - problem was they received their jerseys at he 11th hour and didn't have time to exchange them, so rather than go with the burgandy helmets and their new reddish jerseys, they ended up painting their burgandy helmets the same sort of brick red, much to the dismay of many.

b01.jpg

anyway, some more pictures of the type of navy jersey i would like to see, but just a bit darker:

z02.jpg

a03.jpg

a02.jpg

a01.jpg

a04.jpg

a05.jpg

z01.jpg

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:Plus another reason why am such a big RAMs fan...
I was around 10yrs old,,, my family was picking up my step brother from the Airport,,, and he was coming out the gate talking with Gab and he was telling him I was a big RAMs fan,,, so he came out and talked to me and gave me his autograph... made my day.... :D :D :D

very awesome story! if my mom was at the airport with you she would have hurdled luggage like oj simpson to get to gabe, and then jumped on him in effort to get a smooch... and my dad would just stand there and say "what can i do, she's always been gonzo over the guy".

69RamFan wrote:Plus for some reason,,, to my eyes,,, having those thick big horns on the sleeves,,,,, it made the players look bigger... it was well designed. IMO

that's the thing tho, those horn sleeves are long gone, never to be seen again, as are those jumbo shoulder pads, what's left is a goofy little fingernail desperately trying to masquerade as those huge old horn sleeves.

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
Hall of Fame

47 Gap wrote:I think there might be a little confusion when we talk about "navy" blue. Navy blue is much closer to a blueish black, which is what the early St. Louis Rams blue was. It's closer to the Notre Dame colors, or what the California Angels wore in the 70's. If you look at Ram photos from 2001 to 2005 you'll notice it's closer to black or "navy." Recently, they've actually put more blue in it, giving it more of a midnight blue, as opposed to the navy.

I hate the navy, St. Louis blue.

Whether, they should go with the midnight or blueberry or the true royal is the main question. I'm happy either way. The real issue for me is getting rid of any trace of the old gold or 49er gold. That gold really sucks.

I prefer the yellow/orange gold that they wore in the 50's, but I'd be happy with the canary yellow of the 70's, too.

Overall, blueberry with yellow/orange gold is my favorite. Royal with canary is also fine.

the st. louis navy blue shade had a ton of black in it, kinda like the current cal bears, too much imo, i'd like to see more "blue" come through, but still keep it dark... the helmets are another thing - around five years or so ago the rams started painting their helmets again for the first time since 1972, from 1973 through around 2012 the helmet was just the color of the navy plastic, no paint... the goal wasn't to make them darker than what the plastic shell offered, altho i think that's what happened to some extent, but to instead make the extra shiny.

anyway, there's an infinite number of blue shades out there, i'd like to see a dark navy, the royal blue is too "pretty" for me, altho in the right light i think they can look pretty good... remind me again, we're men exchanging posts on a football forum, right?

by Ramsdude
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Hacksaw wrote:Army! Marines! Air Force!.. lol

Blueberry is meaner? LA tradition out the window?
Re uni's, IDK more than what I like,, but the California blue (like Warriors) is Royal. jmo
Navy (not blueberry) matches the helmet better tho. Navy is more 'murder'.

Gimme Royal or give me disappointment. Those are our colors. Yellow gold too.. imo :D

RGII OROY.jpg

Couldn't have said it better myself. LA tradition IS Royal Blue. Also the Navy Blue just doesn't "pop" in the LA sunshine and also the Yellow doesn't "pop" out of the Navy either. When i see Navy, I think St louis not LA. IMO, Navy Blue is great if your in a dome but not outside. Side by sides show the Royal\Yellow are vivid while the Navy\Gold was dull.

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
Hall of Fame

Ramsdude wrote:LA tradition IS Royal Blue.

this is the second time i've read this in this thread, and i don't quite get it, what makes you guys think royal blue is an l.a. tradition?

the dodgers brought their shade of blue from brooklyn, the trojans are maroon, the lakers are purple, the kings are black, the bruins are powder blue, the original la chargers were powder blue, the clippers have sported many different colors over the years, etc., etc., so where exactly does this "royal blue l.a. tradition" come from?

the rams sported navy in cleveland for 8 years (1938-1945), and then for another 27 years after moving to los angeles (1946-1972), not much royal blue tradition goin' on there as far as i can tell... they switched to the "ferragamo's" in '73 and sported them for the next 22 years (1973-1994) in los angeles, then for another 5 in st. louis.

also, what no one seems to be really talking about, is that the blue shade of the original "ferragamo's" wasn't really like the current concoction, they weren't as "royal", or as bright, as the current "ferragamo" remakes:

x01.jpg

• 3 / 6
56 posts Jun 26 2024