by Elvis
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   38885  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-ra ... l-brockers

Even with big names around him on the Rams DL, don't overlook Michael Brockers

Lindsey Thiry

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Les Snead was happy to interject.

The Los Angeles Rams general manager sat alongside Ndamukong Suh and coach Sean McVay as Suh was introduced as the newest member of the team's defensive line.

Reporters peppered the trio with questions about Suh’s addition to a group that already included reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald.

A few minutes later, a reporter asked a question that mentioned a third -- and less talked-about -- starter on the line.

“I’m glad you brought up Michael Brockers,” Snead said. “He felt left out in the last two questions.”

At the outset of the offseason program last month, Brockers had become all but the forgotten piece in a position group that features Donald, a four-time Pro Bowl selection and three-time All-Pro, and the recently acquired Suh, also a three-time All-Pro.

But as the Rams wrap up their third and final week of organized team activities, with Donald not having attended any part of the offseason program because of a contract dispute, the 6-foot-5, 302-pound Brockers has reaffirmed himself as an integral part of a line that is considered among the best in the NFL ahead of the 2018 season.

And Suh, whom the Rams signed as a free agent after his release from the Miami Dolphins, is adapting to defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’ 3-4 scheme, a system the ninth-year pro has never played in.

Brockers, entering his seventh season with the Rams after he was selected in the first round of the 2012 draft, is embracing his ability to assist younger teammates.

And get Suh up to speed.

“It’s been fun,” Brockers said. “I think it’s more informative for him because he’s new to this. He’s new to playing inside at nose tackle and between the A-gaps all the time. So he’s just trying to find where he fits in this defense and I think he’s jelling in perfectly.”

Brockers is expected to remain at the 5-technique (lined up outside the offensive tackle), a position he moved to last season when the Rams initially struggled to stop the run after switching from a 4-3.

Building a relationship with Brockers has been key to Suh’s integration.

“Overall communication, understanding in rush defense where people are lining up, how things are going to move, how he likes to play, how he likes to play off the center or guards when we have twist games, different things of that nature,” Suh said. “Overall it’s just pure communication is best. You guys probably don’t see it as much as you see it from a quarterback’s perspective, but as a front, for us all to be on the same page, we have to communicate.”

Brockers’ season ended abruptly in 2017 during an NFC wild-card playoff against Atlanta Falcons. In the second quarter, Brockers and Donald met at Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

“I’m going in for the sack,” Brockers said. “AD was coming low on the quarterback, I was going high.”

The play resulted in Brockers tearing his MCL. He remained on the sideline as the Rams fell in their first playoff appearance since 2004.

The injury did not require surgery but proved a sour end in a season Brockers otherwise regarded among his best.

He finished with a career-high 39 tackles, had 4½ sacks and deflected four passes.

“There’s always room to improve and get better, but as far as my first season playing -- not even starting at that 5-technique but just getting thrown in there -- and having a great season, like I did, it felt good,” Brockers said. “For me, personal satisfaction, yeah it was a good season.”

The defensive line’s chemistry will remain a work in progress until Donald’s holdout ends, but with most of the attention focused on the All-Pro players, Brockers should have plenty of opportunities.

“In this defense, the way that Wade coaches it, it’s an attack-style defense,” Brockers said. “So I think there’s enough stats around and enough tackles around for everybody.”

by snackdaddy
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   9707  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Brockers is an underrated lineman. He's a big part of what they do. He's another one who would probably be double teamed if they didn't have Donald lined up with him. I imagine it will be hard to pick your poison. Double teaming Donald is a necessity. But leaving Suh and Brockers one on one is a mismatch most times. I think chemistry would be the only thing preventing them from being dominant. If Wade gets that worked out this team will be downright scary for the opposition.

by /zn/
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   6803  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Brockers going out was probably one of the reasons the Falcons ran on the Rams so well in the 2nd half of that game. They need depth at DE too, and I think that's what picking Franklin-Myers was about.

by aeneas1
6 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I've regarded Brockers as the most underrated Ram for a while.

agree, and despite the article's title, i don't think many (any?) rams fans have overlooked brockers or his contribution throughout the 6 seasons he's been in horns... fwiw pff has always graded him well against the run, last season they ranked him 9th best among the 60 tackles who saw at least 500 snaps... where they haven't graded him well is against the pass, i.e. pass rush, last year they ranked him 55th among the aforementioned 60 tackles... anyway, brockers is a stud in my book, and a quiet team leader.

by RedAlice
6 years 6 days ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I've regarded Brockers as the most underrated Ram for a while.

For the first time, I cannot give a welcome to the board to a new poster.

Tho, I will judge you on how you post here, and here only. Hopefully it’s different than your history.

by sloramfan
6 years 6 days ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

brockers going down in that playoff game was indeed a major blow...

but alec ogletree was the reason we lost...

prolly a good reason why he is no longer with us...

go rams

slo

by phoenixrising
6 years 6 days ago
 Total posts:   820  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

sloramfan wrote:brockers going down in that playoff game was indeed a major blow...
but alec ogletree was the reason we lost...
prolly a good reason why he is no longer with us...
go rams
slo

I agree, neighbor. Something I don't think has been stressed enough. Usually you hear 'Tree's departure attributed to being a bad fit in the 3-4. C'mon man, they just extended his contract late in the year! McVay is always stressing accountability and when a leader blows a huge play in a huge game(missed tackle on third down that led to touchdown drive)...I think McVay is saying it won't be tolerated. He may be a players' coach and all-around nice guy, but he's showing he can be hardass too.

I thought all the "accountability" stuff was to counteract Fisher's lack of it, but McVay means business. That's my take, anyway. Of course you don't can anybody just based on one play, but 'Tree had a history of missed tackles and seeing it bite them in the ass in the playoff game convinced them they saddled up the wrong horse IMO.

by aeneas1
6 years 6 days ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

losing brockers in the second half against the falcons certainly didn't help matters, but let's face it, the rams defense gave up just as many points in the first half, with brockers, as the second, without brockers. oh well.

• 1 / 2
19 posts Jun 16 2024