24 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by Elmgrovegnome
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Elvis wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/philadelphia-eagles-may-held-fake-super-bowl-walkthrough-foil-spygate-tactic-050040669.html

Philadelphia Eagles may have held fake Super Bowl walk-through to foil any Spygate tactics

DJ DunsonShutdown CornerFeb 8, 2018, 9:00 PM

Paranoia is a dominant gene among the NFL head-coaching ranks and playing the New England Patriots multiplies that nervousness tenfold. Since the Patriots were caught filming the Jets’ walkthroughs during the 2007 season, teams have been wary about facing them. In big games, that paranoia reaches “Ray Liotta-leerily-surveying-the-sky-for-black-helicopters-in-Goodfellas” levels.

The surveillance state had the Philadelphia Eagles on edge prior to Super Bowl LII, as well. No, the Eagles didn’t accuse the feds of bugging their locker room prior to The Big Game. Instead, Philly was on edge like Rockwell about the possibility of being videotaped by the New England Patriots.

In the shadows of Spygate and the years of insinuations of other violations prior to various Super Bowls, the Eagles may have gone to extreme precautions to throw off any furtive methods by the Patriots.

During an interview with with WDAE-AM in Tampa this week, long snapper Rick Lovato, said the Eagles went so far as to devote an entire walk-through at U.S. Bank Stadium to plays that weren’t even in their playbook, Pro Football Talk.

“I believe our whole walk-through was just a complete fake walk-through,” Lovato said. “We did it at the stadium. There were certain people walking around. . . . I believe I overheard someone say a lot of the plays we were running weren’t even in the playbook for the Super Bowl.”

But why not take advantage of the opportunity to practice the actual plays in the stadium where the game was going to be played, one day beforehand?

“We already had our game plan set all week for the last two weeks,” Lovato said. “We had two weeks to prepare for that game. A measly walk-through the day before the game, we weren’t going to show anything to anyone, especially being at the stadium.”

Had this story been told after the Eagles lost the Super Bowl, Pederson would have been portrayed as a dolt for letting the Patriots get in his head and wasting a walk-through on such a fatuous endeavor. Instead, it only adds to the budding legend of Pederson’s genius, even if the Patriots weren’t actually watching them.

I had a very long drawn out argument with a Pats fan about this on Facebook. He is pretty vocal about other teams cheating in the NFL and it being just as bad or worse than New England. He claims that the Broncos, Jets, and Rams were bigger cheaters. I will skip the rest of the absurdities and fast forward. It culminated in him saying that I need to give him proof. I went back to this article that started the whole discussion in the first place, and pointed out repeatedly, that an NFL insider, a head coach that knows much more than the general public about the facts in the Patriots cheating case ran a fake walkthrough to keep New England from knowing his plays. He didn't do it against the teams he played in the other playoff games. He only did it against New England. That is enough proof for me.

The guy was a real asshole. He argued poorly and threw out lots of insults along the way . He didn't seem to intelligent.

by Elmgrovegnome
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   624  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

PARAM wrote:I love the fake walk through angle. Genius. Dilly-dilly!!!

As far as "the norm", what's he supposed to say?

"Well Eagle fans, we did it!!! All for you. You've waited 57 years since our last NFL Championship. Grandfathers, fathers, uncles, cousins and brothers have passed since that 1960 Championship and we did it for them too! Hoped it was all you thought it would be. Now going forward, we're probably not going to do it again. We'll be competitive and all that but do you know how freaking hard it is to win? Be glad we did it this time and keep those dollars coming!!!"

I don't like it. It reminds me of Rex Ryan.

I could see saying playoff football is the new norm in Philly. Or we feel that February football is the new norm. Or, even better, with the coaching staff and this roster, I think we will be able to make February football the new norm for Philadelphia.

Overall Pederson doesn't come across as one of the more eloquently spoken coaches. He is a little rough around the edges in his press conferences and interviews. He is not carefully about being politically correct, but isn't insulting either. So in that regard it isn't a huge slip up.

Besides, had he said anything less the Philly fans would have tore him limb from limb.

by Hacksaw
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elmgrovegnome wrote:I had a very long drawn out argument with a Pats fan about this on Facebook.
The guy was a real asshole. He argued poorly and threw out lots of insults along the way .

In New England they call them Massholes.

by dieterbrock
6 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elmgrovegnome wrote:I don't like it. It reminds me of Rex Ryan.

I could see saying playoff football is the new norm in Philly. Or we feel that February football is the new norm. Or, even better, with the coaching staff and this roster, I think we will be able to make February football the new norm for Philadelphia.

Overall Pederson doesn't come across as one of the more eloquently spoken coaches. He is a little rough around the edges in his press conferences and interviews. He is not carefully about being politically correct, but isn't insulting either. So in that regard it isn't a huge slip up.

Besides, had he said anything less the Philly fans would have tore him limb from limb.

I agree.
Funny thing is that he was on the hot seat in Philly after 2016. Most media/fans weren’t happy with the hire in the 1st place. He was handed a pretty talented team that Chip Kelly had just messed up. Your Rex Ryan comparison is spot on IMO.
Always liked the idea of “act like you’ve been there before”

• 3 / 3
24 posts Mar 28 2024