9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

And here's the baseball news:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13089 ... s-database

FBI investigates Cardinals for hacking into Astros' database
ESPN.com news services

The St. Louis Cardinals are being investigated by the FBI for allegedly hacking into networks and trying to steal information about the Houston Astros, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Jeff Luhnow

The St. Louis Cardinals are reportedly being investigated by the FBI for hacking into the Houston Astros' database by using passwords associated with Houston GM Jeff Luhnow, a former Cardinals executive.

Major League Baseball, the Cardinals and Astros all issued statements Tuesday saying they have cooperated fully with the investigation, which started last year after some information was posted anonymously online.

According to the Times, the FBI and Justice Department officials have evidence that Cardinals officials -- who were not identified -- allegedly tapped into the Astros' database and had access to statistics, scouting reports and internal discussions about players, trades and other proprietary information.

"Major League Baseball has been aware of and has fully cooperated with the federal investigation into the illegal breach of the Astros' baseball operations database," the MLB statement said. "Once the investigative process has been completed by federal law enforcement officials, we will evaluate the next steps and will make decisions promptly."

The Astros and Cardinals added that they would not comment further as it's an ongoing federal investigation.

Both the Cardinals and Major League Baseball have been served with subpoenas, the Times reported, but no actions have been taken against the officials under investigation.

According to the Times, the FBI believes that Cardinals officials gained access to the Astros' database by using a list of passwords associated with Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow dating to his tenure with the Cardinals from 2003 until he left for Houston after the 2011 season.

by bubbaramfan
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1118  
United States of America   Carson Landfill
Pro Bowl

Cardinals=baseball's Patriots?

by Hacksaw
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Oh boy. The St Louis baseball Cards, State legislature and stadium task forces all seem to be pushing the envelope a bit. Good times in St Louis.
Can't get Lennon's 'Instant Karma' out of my head for some reason.

by Elvis
9 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   39466  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... bb88b9b572

Cignetti Bringing Tweaks to Offense

Myles Simmons
Rams Insider
@MylesASimmons

By now, it’s well known that the Rams have turned over control of the offense to coordinator Frank Cignetti. And while it’s still OTAs and the team has yet to take a snap in even a preseason game, the coach and players seem to be adapting to their new situations well.

“I love it. I always have,” Cignetti said after Tuesday’s OTA session. “I love trying to put people in position to be successful. I love the schematics of the game, the organization of being a coordinator, the ability to come out here and try to motivate the group. It’s just something I’ve always enjoyed doing.”

“He’s always enthusiastic. He’s always full of energy,” quarterback Nick Foles said of his offensive coordinator. “He loves football, so it’s fun for all of us quarterbacks to be around him and gain that knowledge.”

Cignetti’s fondness for leading the unit is clear from how he describes formulating the offense as a collective effort. Being in St. Louis as the team’s quarterbacks coach the last three years has helped in the process of acclimating to coordinator because the coaching staff was already familiar with one another.

“We were very comfortable with each other,” Cignetti said. “We knew the players and the players knew us, so the transition was very smooth for all of us. It’s been exciting.”

And from what the players have said so far, the team effort of adjusting the offense extends to them as well. 

“It’s a collective effort by everybody, and it gives everybody a chance to give some type of input, and feel like they’re contributing something to the offense,” tight end Jared Cook said. “He trusts you as vets, and he trusts you as his players to tell you how you like certain things. And that way, he can tweak it according to how you like it, or according to how you like to run a route.”

“But he might not tweak it,” Cook continued. “He might just say, ‘This is how it is.’ But he will take your suggestions and hear you out.”

The tight end added that more ownership has translated to expanded understanding and communication on the field.

“We’re a collective. We’re here to accomplish one goal, and that’s to get that Lombardi Trophy,” Cook said. “So the more pieces that you have that can understand what’s going on and can spit it back out to you in case there is a problem, the easier it is.”

As for what the offensive changes will look like, Cignetti didn’t divulge too much in terms of what his plans are for the offense -- which is to be expected on June 16. But the OC did liken what he’s brought to the unit to purchasing a new home, saying his predecessor, Brian Schottenheimer, did a good job of setting up the foundation.

“You go buy a house, what do you do? ‘Let’s remodel a couple of rooms,’” Cignetti said. “Really, that’s what we’ve done. The foundation of the system hasn’t changed. All we’ve done is put our personal touches in the different areas. And frankly, if coach Schottenheimer were still here, that’s what you’d do as a staff every year. You look at it and you continually look for ways to improve.”

Still, head coach Jeff Fisher said one of the changes Cignetti’s made is cutting down on the verbiage of the offensive playbook.

“I think the players would tell you that he’s shortened the play calls from a terminology standpoint,” Fisher said. “We have some flexibility to do some things, I think, that match up better with our personnel and we’re just going to continue to work with it.”

“A good mark of where you are offensively is when someone like Sean Mannion comes in, and he’s been here for a month, and he has a good feel for it,” Fisher added. “So that kind of gives you a sense that what they’re teaching is easily absorbed and translated to the field.”

Cignetti said while the playbook is likely never fully learned, most of the concepts in terms of protection, the run game, and passing game have been installed. That was reflected in Foles’ comment that quarterbacks seem to have a good amount of leeway on the field.

“He’s a guy who gives us a lot of options out there,” Foles said. “I feel really comfortable with this offense.”

So while the Rams have made the adjustment to Cignetti as an offensive coordinator, that doesn’t necessarily mean the coach has shifted his style.

“I think if you’d ask the players, I haven’t changed,” Cignetti said. “Every day is a blessing. I come to work trying to have fun, trying to do the best job I can of teaching, [then] come out on the field and enjoy the game of football.”

• 1 / 1
6 posts Sep 07 2024