United States of America   Inglewood, CA

Ledyard | Winners, losers and more from the WR Combine workouts
Jon Ledyard

By

Jon Ledyard
Published on March 3, 2018
BBBB.jpg

Winners

D.J. Chark, WR, LSU – I liked Chark’s tape a lot more than I expected to coming into the year, and his fit in a vertical based offense made a ton of sense after seeing him in Mobile. A 4.34 40 and a 40-inch vertical were terrific numbers, as was his 10’9″ broad jump.

Deon Cain, WR, Clemson – A 4.43 40 and a 6.71 3-cone highlighted an impressive day for Cain, who showed off the speed and explosiveness people were hoping to see from the 6-2, 202-pound receiver. Cain has some reoccurring issues on tape, but he’s definitely talented if it all comes together in the NFL.

E.Q. St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame – St. Brown didn’t do all of the drills, but a 4.48 40 at 6-5, 214 pounds is an insane mark that will definitely have teams excited about his vertical abilities at that size and speed. I wish he played better in the air on tape, and his agilities will be something to watch at his pro day.

D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland – Moore might have been the biggest winner of the receivers in Combine drills, as he ran a 4.42 40, jumped just under 40 inches, posted a 12-foot broad jump, and ran a 6.95 3-cone to go with his 4.07 short shuttle. His athletic testing was jaw-dropping, and even though Moore has some weaknesses on tape, in a poor wide receiver class he will get pushed up the board.

Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State – At 6-5, 227 pounds, Lazard had said teams had already begin to discuss with him a potential move to tight end during interviews. I don’t know anyone who thought he was going to run faster than mid 4.6s, but Lazard smoked expectations with a 4.55 40, before jumping 38 inches in the vert and 11’2″ in the broad. Crazy numbers for a receiver his size.

Losers

Auden Tate, WR, Florida State – Tate came in the Combine with a lot to prove, and he absolutely tanked in that regard. A 4.68 40, 31-inch vertical and 9’4″ broad jump were all incredibly poor results, and he declined to run agilities as well. His routes were poor in the on-field drills as well, and he blew several opportunities to make catches on well-placed throws as a result.

James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State – The knocks on Washington were his route-running and release game lacked attention to detail, and he won with speed and contested catch ability on tape. So as a 5-11, 213-pound wide receiver without a significantly nuanced game, Washington was banking on elite testing to hold up his stock. That didn’t happen, as a 4.54 40, 34.5 vertical, 7.11 3-cone and 4.32 short shuttle were all average or below average results for the stocky pass catcher.

Tavares Martin, WR, Washington State – Martin was billed as a troubled receiver with potential to develop into a quality depth receiver, but a 4.8 40 and 31-inch vertical at 6-1, 177 pounds isn’t going to cut it. He’ll be lucky to get drafted with those numbers and his character concerns.

Marcell Ateman, WR, Oklahoma State – Ateman ran a 4.62 40, jumped 34 inches and was average at best in the agilities, failing to provide hope that he would show some upside to his simple skill set. Ateman struggles to separate on tape and isn’t an explosive leaper in contested catch spots, so I’m not sure what trait he hangs his hat on at the next level.

Mixed

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama – Ridley may not have had the best weigh-in at just 6-0 1/2, 189 pounds, but he still posted an excellent 3-cone result and ran a 4.44 40. I don’t think his athleticism will be in question, but his Pro Day weigh-in will go a long way toward proving to teams that he can handle physical coverage on the outside.

Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M – Kirk isn’t the most nuanced and developed route runner in the draft, but he definitely showed his straight line speed was for real by running a 4.47 40-yard dash. Unfortunately his 3-cone (7.09) and short shuttle (4.45) were both abysmal for his position and size, which shows a concern I had that Kirk may not be a great space player or particularly good at separating from coverage on intermediate, 90-degree breaking routes.

Keke Coutee, WR, Texas Tech – I have a lot of questions about how Coutee’s game will translate to the NFL, but he confirmed his speed with a 4.43 40 and tested well in the agilities. His size has to be a mega concern however, as not many 5-10, 181-pound receivers play on the outside, and Coutee isn’t polished enough as a route runner to man the slot.

Javon Wims, WR, Georgia – I love Wims ball skills on tape, and at 6-3, 215 pounds, I think he possesses the size to be a great contested catch player in the NFL. His 33.5-inch vertical was pretty disappointing, but a 4.53 40 for Wims is a strong result, and even a 7-second 3-cone for a receiver that big is a good mark.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-win ... -workouts/

• 1 / 1
1 post Mar 29 2024