17 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by scramsfan
7 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   228  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

JackPMiller wrote:Rams don't have a 1st round pick. I believe JuJu will be a mid 1st rounder. One guy I have though of was Artavis Scott of Clemson. He is a really good WR for a team that has a fantastic group. Of course he is only a Junior. Deon Cane is a True Sophomore. So, he would Neva nice piece to have for us. But he is not eligible until the 2018 draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft
Below are underclassmen whose intentions to enter the 2017 NFL Draft have been stated, as well as those that have indicated they intend to return to school for 2017. Underclassmen have until Jan. 16 to file declaration papers with the league. The official list of underclassmen accepted by the NFL will be released on Jan. 20.
Intending on early draft entry

» D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas (Announces draft intentions)
» Wayne Gallman, RB, Clemson (Swinney says Gallman intends to enter draft)
» Jermaine Grace, LB, Miami (Former 'Canes LB intends to enter draft)
» Charles Harris, DE, Missouri (Intends to apply for early entry)
» Jerome Lane, WR, Akron (LB-turned-WR announces intentions)
» Artavis Scott, WR, Clemson (Swinney says Scott intends to enter draft)
» Eddie Vanderdoes, DL, UCLA (Redshirt junior intends to enter draft)
» Charles Walker, DL, Oklahoma (Walker leaves team to prepare for draft)
» Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson (Swinney says Watson intends to enter draft)
» Mike Williams, WR, Clemson (Swinney says Williams intends to enter draft)
Notable players intending to return to school

» Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State (Intends to stay in school)
» Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa (Expects to stay with Hawkeyes)
» Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State (Lazard decides to return for Cyclones in 2017)
» Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma (Heisman candidate says he'll stay in school)
» Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame (McGlinchey says he's not ready to leave)

You may get your wish regarding Artavis Scott. He intends on entering the draft. Scott is a good receiver and Clemson's coach, Dabo Swinney, has a track record of developing wr's (Martavis Bryant, Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, etc). I wish the Rams could get Mike Williams but he will surely go in the first round.

What a bummer to start talking draft talk during the first week in December.

by Hacksaw
7 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

No bad JuJu,,, only good JuJu.
JuJu's pedals to the metal. Looks like Cooper part 2 to me tho.

On a side note,, who would name their kid JuJu? Besides George Bailey of course..

by JackPMiller
7 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
Superstar

Another option is one of the two LSU WRs, Travin Dural or Malachi Dupree(if he comes out). For some reason, LSU WRs have a history of playing much better in the pros then they do in college. Dupree I like a lot, and he is 6'3".

by Hacksaw_64
6 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2686  
United States of America   Inglewood, CA

JuJu Smith-Schuster showing out amid slow start for rookie WR class

Jon Ledyard
By Jon Ledyard
Posted on Nov 4, 2017

USATSI_10363477.jpg

Corey Davis. Mike Williams. Carlos Henderson. John Ross.

These names adorned the top of my 2017 NFL Draft big board at the wide receiver position, with only the first two carrying first-round grades. I didn’t think the class rivaled the three preceding it, but there was obvious talent in the group, and given where all four of my top receivers landed, I thought we would see significant contributions early on.

That may have been the case, but injuries have decimated all four players’ quests to begin their NFL careers with a bang. Davis has played in only one full game before being injured in his second contest, impressing often during his stint of action in Week 1. Williams’ back injury delayed his start to the season until a few weeks ago, but he’s still seen only 47 snaps in three games. Henderson was placed on injured reserve during the preseason, while Ross has struggled to stay healthy all season and has yet to record a catch in just 11 snaps.

Whether due to injury or roster situation, the majority of the wide receiver class has been just as impactful as the aforementioned four. Only two rookie wide receivers have over 200 yards receiving, the same two who are the only players at their position to be ranked among the top 10 rookies in receiving yards. Yes, you read that correctly, the top 10 rookie receivers in the NFL this season include four running backs, four tight ends and just two wide receivers.

Of those two wide receivers, the Steelers‘ JuJu Smith-Schuster and the Rams’ Cooper Kupp, the former is easily leading the way with 424 yards and four touchdowns on just 24 catches for an average of almost 18 yards per catch. Those numbers don’t exactly set the world on fire, and to be fair they were recently buoyed by a 7-193-1 day on Sunday Night Football against the Detroit Lions.

But Smith-Schuster has been a big part of the Steelers’ offense from Week 1, even if the targets weren’t plentiful at first. His blocking is a huge asset in the run game, and Smith-Schuster’s versatility to play in the slot or on the outside is critical in Todd Haley’s offense. Despite being the youngest player in the NFL, Smith-Schuster’s cerebral approach has guided him in picking up the offense quickly, showing maturity beyond his years both on and off the field.

First, he has brought a physicality to the offense that has been much needed; none of the rest of the Steelers’ receiver corps is known for blocking. Smith-Schuster laid out Harrison Smith in the Steelers’ early-season matchup with the Vikings, but he’s been impressive even beyond the highlight reel KOs, coming down and latching on safeties in space with good leverage and hand placement (top of screen).

Smith-Schuster’s abilities have allowed him to play a versatile role in the offense, even lining up as a wing at times and coming across the formation in split zone looks. His ability as a blocker keeps teams from keying on him as a pure receiver in these situations, and they respect the run as a result. Todd Haley can leak him out into the flat where his speed and agility are superior to a tight end that would typically operate in this role

That’s not a specific concept Haley has used heavily, but it gives you an idea of what Smith-Schuster offers as a versatile playmaker in the Steelers’ offense. I think many expected him to be a good underneath threat and chain-mover, but Smith-Schuster has provided big plays down the field too, whether due to a blown coverage by the Bengals and the Lions (first play of the game), or his own ability to separate off the line of scrimmage with a nuanced release in his pattern.

Smith-Schuster’s exceptional inside/outside release to tilt the nickel corner and open up space for him to break outside and get vertical in a hurry is such a detailed, veteran move for a young receiver to execute. Yet Smith-Schuster has made plays like this since arriving in Pittsburgh, becoming a true weapon for Ben Roethlisberger to rely on. Check out this double move against Jacksonville’s Jalen Ramsey (bottom of the screen), something that was Smith Schuster’s calling card at USC.

Because Smith-Schuster has polished his game so quickly since coming to the NFL, it’s allowed him to be successful and create separation despite not being the fastest or most explosive receiver. He understands how to vary his stride length to separate off the line of scrimmage and at the top of his route, giving Roethlisberger comfortable windows to throw into and then being a force after the catch.

He’s been compared to Hines Ward for many reasons, but few players have captured the hearts of the fan base and his teammates’ admiration the way Smith-Schuster has halfway through his rookie season. Amidst an extremely poor start for the rookie wide receiver class, Smith-Schuster has looked like he’ll be a longtime stud for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

by Hacksaw_64
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   2686  
United States of America   Inglewood, CA

Did the Rams miss the boat by taking Everett instead of JuJu?

JuJu and Kupp could have been cornerstone receivers for the next decade. Juju has proven most draft gurus dead wrong with his ability to create seperation in the NFL. May already be the most physical receiver in the NFL.

Answer: still too early to tell, lets see how Everett develops.

by BobCarl
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

Hacksaw_64 wrote:Did the Rams miss the boat by taking Everett instead of JuJu?

JuJu is no doubt a couple of levels above Everett .... in hindsight, yes JuJu was the better pick.

However as far as draft strategy goes, I don't fault the Rams process.

A stellar TE is an important part of McVay's offense ... Everett didn't live up to his grade ... I do think he will be a solid player for the team.

The Rams knew they would get a steal for Kupp in the 3rd round.... and Everett prolly wouldn't be left on the board.

Imagine what McVay's offense would be like if he had a pro-bowl caliber TE to work with?

With Watkins, Kupp, and Woods ... a 4th starting WR would have washed out one of them. I don't think that JuJu's production was a huge jump over Kupp's.

With a TE being the higher priority I don't blame the Rams decision.

by BobCarl
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

Hacksaw_64 wrote:

I love this offensive play against the cover-1 It looks like the receiver running up the seam is focused on getting leverage on the deep-safety, in this case he leverages the safety to the far side, leaving the corner on the near side with no help over the top at all.

I think Kupp would have scored on this play too.

• 2 / 2
17 posts Apr 18 2024