12 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by PARAM
5 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   12185  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

The Yankees have agreed to a deal to acquire O's closer Zach Britton, pending physicals, according to MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi.

Right-handers Dillon Tate, who is the Yankees' No. 9-ranked prospect, and Cody Carroll, who's ranked No. 15, and Triple-A left-hander Josh Rogers are in the package for Britton, according to sources.

The Orioles were still reviewing medical records, a source told MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli, so it's unlikely a deal will be announced on Tuesday night. The Yankees will pick up the remainder of Britton's salary, which is about $5 million for the rest of 2018, and no international pool money was involved in the deal, a source tells MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

The Yankees acquired Tate -- a fourth overall selection by the Rangers in 2015 -- as part of the package that sent Carlos Beltran to Texas during the summer of 2016. Tate was scratched from his start Tuesday night for Double-A Trenton.

Britton, who returned from an Achilles injury earlier this season, has a 3.45 ERA over 16 appearances (15 2/3 innings) for Baltimore. Last season, he had a 2.89 ERA over 38 appearances prior to the injury. He had a historic 2016 campaign, in which he posted a 0.54 ERA with 47 saves. He is due to be a free agent after this season.

The Yankees entered play Tuesday with the Majors' best bullpen in terms of ERA (2.75) and opponents' batting average (.199). Despite having the Majors' best offense and third-best record, New York entered the day six games back of Boston in the American League East.

Adding Britton to a relief corps that already includes closer Aroldis Chapman, as well as late-inning stalwarts Dellin Betances and David Robertson, could make New York's bullpen the best in baseball as the club seeks its first AL East title since 2012.

Tate, 24, has a 3.38 ERA and a 1.11 WHIP in 15 starts for Double-A Trenton this season. In 13 starts between Class A Advanced Tampa (nine starts) and Trenton (four) last season, the right-hander posted a 2.81 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP.

LINK

Sorry to see Tate go (and the other two) but you gotta give up something to get something. They're loaded at the minor league level anyway. Chance Adams. Justice Sheffield. Johnny Lasagna. Cessa. Domingo German.....and that's just triple A. It's nice to be loaded.

Anyhow, acquiring Britton really solidifies what was the best bullpen in MLB.

Holder, Warren, Green, Robertson, Betances, Britton and Chapman. There are 3 guys with 100 saves in their career and Betances, with perhaps the sickest stuff of them all. Additionally, Chad Green, Adam Warren and Holder have been phenominal. AJ Cole, since joining NY, is 2-0 with an 0.87 ERA and 0.87 whip in 12 appearances (18 + IP).

by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

The New York Yankees have landed the rotation help they've been trying to acquire since the offseason.

The Yankees and Blue Jays have announced a trade sending veteran southpaw J.A. Happ to New York. Third baseman Brandon Drury and outfield prospect Billy McKinney lead to Toronto.

Happ, 35, is widely believed to be the best starting pitcher who will be moved before the deadline. A free agent at season's end, thus far this season he's posted a 4.18 ERA (101 ERA+) and 3.71 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 20 starts. He's scuffled recently, allowing at least five runs in three of his last four outings.

Nonetheless, the Yankees are banking on Happ's recent track record as an above-average starter. From 2015-17, Happ accumulated a 3.43 ERA (122 ERA+) and 3.02 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Earlier this year, he made his first career All-Star Game. New York's rotation depth chart looks something now that the trade is finalized:

Luis Severino
Masahiro Tanaka
CC Sabathia
J.A. Happ
Sonny Gray
Jordan Montgomery (out for the season with Tommy John surgery)
Luis Cessa
Domingo German

Cessa and German had be filling in as the fifth starter since Montgomery went down in May. Happ now takes over that rotation spot and, if nothing else, figures to provide more innings and a little more consistency. The Yankees had been hoping to shake loose a true impact starter with multiple years of control prior to the deadline -- Jacob deGrom would've been ideal -- but that pitcher just is not available.

As for the Blue Jays, they have started their trade deadline sell-off. Happ is on his way to New York and Seung-Hwan Oh was traded to the Rockies on Thursday as well. Others like Tyler Clippard, Marco Estrada, Aaron Loup, and John Axford could be on the move before the July 31st non-waiver trade deadline as well.

Drury, 25, went from the Diamondbacks to the Yankees in a spring training trade and was the team's Opening Day third baseman. He landed on the disabled list with migraines and blurry vision shortly thereafter and rookie Miguel Andujar seized the third base job. Drury's spent his time at Triple-A and on the MLB bench since.

So far this season Drury has hit .176/.263/.275 with one home run in 18 MLB games and .294/.403/447 with five home runs in 55 Triple-A games. He is a third baseman by trade but does have experience at first and second bases, as well as left field. With Josh Donaldson still sidelined, Toronto could slot him in as their regular third baseman for the time being.

McKinney, 23, is well-traveled former first round pick. He went from the Athletics to the Cubs in the Jeff Samardzija trade and from the Cubs to the Yankees in the Aroldis Chapman trade. Now he goes to the Blue Jays. McKinney is hitting .230/.294/.502 with 13 home runs in 54 Triple-A games so far this season. He went 1 for 4 in two MLB games earlier this year.

The Yankees have now added Happ and Zach Britton to fortify their pitching staff, though they might not be done with their deadline shopping. Gary Sanchez is on the disabled list and could be out until September. The Yankees could scour the market or a catcher to help fill-in while Sanchez out.

LINK

Interesting commentary from Jim Bowden. "Cashman a HOFer. They gave away nothing for the two guys they got in Britton and Happ, the best reliever and best starter available.

by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

The New York Yankees were dealt a major blow to their hopes of winning the American League East on Thursday, as slugger Aaron Judge suffered a broken wrist that will keep him out of action for several weeks.

Judge was hit by a pitch by Jakub Junis in the first inning of the win against the Royals, though he stayed in the game for several more innings.

He scored the first run of the game and took a second at-bat in the third inning, reaching base on an infield single when shortstop Adalberto Mondesi botched a routine play. Miguel Andujar then came on to pinch-hit for him in the fourth and remained in the game as the designated hitter.

Manager Aaron Boone said Judge still wanted to remain in the game but the staff made the decision for him when his swing looked weak on the ground ball to Mondesi. However, Boone maintains that the second at-bat did not further aggravate the wrist. "In watching him swing underneath we didn’t feel like the strength was there that he needed and at the time just didn’t want to take any more chances with it," Boone said. "As you guys know, Judgey is as tough as they are, but we just wanted him to go get it taken care of and get ice, at least, and get to the bottom of what was going on."
After Judge underwent an MRI and CT scan, the Yankees announced the injury, calling it a "chip fracture" and said that surgery had not been recommended.

The club estimates that it will be about three weeks before Judge can "swing a bat in a game situation."

Judge is batting .285 and leads the team with 26 homers and 83 RBI.

LINK

I don't mind quoting Gloria Gaynor.....the Yankees will survive.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

I don't know what to make of this team. Sometimes i see them and they just seem like they have no heart. I watched a lot of the games in the first 2 months and they looked like world beaters. The starting rotation was unexpectedly good. Just when they started declining (fuck off Sonny Gray) the team started a downward spiral. Severino was the only reliable one until he wasn't and then came the injuries.

That 4 game sweep by the Sox hurt. It really did. It ended any hope of the division and now we might frickin see Verlander in a one game playoff.

This team was so lovable last season. I don't know....... they seem mentally weak to me and i do put blame on Boone. He's suppose to be everyone's buddy, thats what he was hired for.

WTF kinda season has Gary Sanchez had. Mind boggling. Gleyber and Miggy were the baby bomber stars batting 8 and 9 but when they have to bat 3-4.......... sheesh. They just aren't ready. Happ was surprisingly a good pick up. Lynn as well but neither the type that will shift the balance of a ALCS if we get there. Even the BP isn't doing well. Britton hasn't looked lights out like he's suppose to and Green and a couple of other dudes who were super reliable last season haven't been that this season and now Chapman is injured.

Sigh. I am just frustrated by this team. I mean we split with the last placed Marlins and today we struggled to beat a pathetic Orioles team which has given up in every way.

by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:I don't know what to make of this team. Sometimes i see them and they just seem like they have no heart. I watched a lot of the games in the first 2 months and they looked like world beaters. The starting rotation was unexpectedly good. Just when they started declining (fuck off Sonny Gray) the team started a downward spiral. Severino was the only reliable one until he wasn't and then came the injuries.

That 4 game sweep by the Sox hurt. It really did. It ended any hope of the division and now we might frickin see Verlander in a one game playoff.

This team was so lovable last season. I don't know....... they seem mentally weak to me and i do put blame on Boone. He's suppose to be everyone's buddy, thats what he was hired for.

WTF kinda season has Gary Sanchez had. Mind boggling. Gleyber and Miggy were the baby bomber stars batting 8 and 9 but when they have to bat 3-4.......... sheesh. They just aren't ready. Happ was surprisingly a good pick up. Lynn as well but neither the type that will shift the balance of a ALCS if we get there. Even the BP isn't doing well. Britton hasn't looked lights out like he's suppose to and Green and a couple of other dudes who were super reliable last season haven't been that this season and now Chapman is injured.

Sigh. I am just frustrated by this team. I mean we split with the last placed Marlins and today we struggled to beat a pathetic Orioles team which has given up in every way.

It's so hard to maintain the same pace for 162 games. The Red Sox? Ten games ago they were on pace for 115 wins. After yesterday they're on pace for 111. They may end up winning around 105 (or less). I just don't think a fan can *see* heart. They can think they can; or feel they can; but they can't.

The 4 game sweep in Boston hurt for sure. I believed it ended all hope of the division but I also believed if the Red Sox faltered some, it could be close again. They're not there.....yet, but the Yankees have picked up 3 games over the last 10. If they can keep up that pace, getting Judge, Sanchez and Didi back they'll be tied with Boston with 10 games remaining. Unlikely? We'll see.

Torres and Miggy are doing just fine. Torres finally got back to taking the ball to right and Miggy has produced from any spot in the lineup. Sanchez, despite his low average had been a productive run producer. He's got 42 RBI in 66 GP.....that projects to 103 over a full season. I think that (Sanchez) is a silver lining. If he produces over the last 30 and in the postseason, all will be forgotten.

Bird is the mind boggling one. I don't know WTF is wrong with him.

I don't *see* "mentally weak". I see resilient. They've lost Montgomery for the season; Torres for 15 games (after not being called up until April 22); Sanchez for 20, then 31 games and counting; Judge for 28 and counting; Chapman for two stretches, Didi and C.C..

Sonny Gray has sucked but he looked fine last night. Walker didn't have a spring training and was sluggish until a couple weeks ago. Now he's on fire.

THEY'RE ON PACE FOR 103 WINS!!!!! This team has faced a lot of adversity and heart is the last thing they lack.

It could be a really interesting finish to the 2018 season.

by dieterbrock
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

14-5 since the Boston disaster.
Can’t say they don’t have heart. When you are winning, the clubhouse always looks passionate. When losing?
I am speechless about Bird. I’ve been a Bird backer and just can’t defend him anymore. Maybe we can catch a little Shane Spencer/Shelley Duncan Magic with this Voit kid.
Down to 6 in the loss column....

by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:
Down to 6 in the loss column....

August 26th, 1978:

Boston (80-47) --
Milwaukee (73-55) 7.5 GB
Yankees (72-54) 7.5 GB

August 26th, 2018:

Boston (90-41) --
Yankees (82-47) 7 GB

I know how it turned out in 1978. How will it turn out in 2018?

Update: Tampa 9- Boston 1.....(90-42) 6.5 game lead going into tonight's game (5 in the loss column)

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 6 months ago
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:It's so hard to maintain the same pace for 162 games. The Red Sox? Ten games ago they were on pace for 115 wins. After yesterday they're on pace for 111. They may end up winning around 105 (or less). I just don't think a fan can *see* heart. They can think they can; or feel they can; but they can't.

The 4 game sweep in Boston hurt for sure. I believed it ended all hope of the division but I also believed if the Red Sox faltered some, it could be close again. They're not there.....yet, but the Yankees have picked up 3 games over the last 10. If they can keep up that pace, getting Judge, Sanchez and Didi back they'll be tied with Boston with 10 games remaining. Unlikely? We'll see.

Torres and Miggy are doing just fine. Torres finally got back to taking the ball to right and Miggy has produced from any spot in the lineup. Sanchez, despite his low average had been a productive run producer. He's got 42 RBI in 66 GP.....that projects to 103 over a full season. I think that (Sanchez) is a silver lining. If he produces over the last 30 and in the postseason, all will be forgotten.

Bird is the mind boggling one. I don't know WTF is wrong with him.

I don't *see* "mentally weak". I see resilient. They've lost Montgomery for the season; Torres for 15 games (after not being called up until April 22); Sanchez for 20, then 31 games and counting; Judge for 28 and counting; Chapman for two stretches, Didi and C.C..

Sonny Gray has sucked but he looked fine last night. Walker didn't have a spring training and was sluggish until a couple weeks ago. Now he's on fire.

THEY'RE ON PACE FOR 103 WINS!!!!! This team has faced a lot of adversity and heart is the last thing they lack.

It could be a really interesting finish to the 2018 season.

I know what pace they are on and how many wins they have. The way they played that Boston do or die series, you didn't see anything wrong with the way they battled? OK, I guess. For me they don't have that spark that last year's team had. Especially post DET brawl. Long season has ebbs and flows and of course you can't expect a team to be the same, that really didn't need to be stated but when the chips are down and we want to see fight from some of these guys (win or lose) it's just wasn't there SO FAR. I hope it all clicks into place next month. That is what really matters in the end.

I love this team. Having been through the teams of the last 10 yrs prior to 2017 was OK but this team is so lovable. Lots of good guys.

I do know about Sanchez' "productivity" when he was playing...……… Katie Sharp wrote a column and has been beating that drum a lot. I see it. But you can't say this season hasn't been a let down so far by Gary. He was supposed to be the guys who would benefit the most from the Godzilla and King Kong in the lineup. He never got going and looked horrendous at the plate. I watched most of the games. He'll be back and figure it out. I think A-Rod said last night on the broadcast that he's lost 15lbs. I saw him hitting off a tee a few days ago on his IG and he did look a bit less pudgy. lol.

Now they are winning some games again against cannon fodder teams (apart from losing agains MIA) and thankfully the Sox have slowed down some. Their lead is 6 now. After that BOS series i have no expectation about the division because we still have to play them again a few times and they won't lose them all But if we make it close for the last few weeks so BOS has to play their starters that would be a bonus.

I have been thinking about something.................... what should we do about Sonny Gray? He looked good on Saturday but i don't know. Do we trust him again this season or just go with Lynn and Happ with our other 3 guys? It's kinda tempting to think that he'll turn it up a notch or two when its playoff baseball.

Before this last outing by him i would have thought he would't make the playoff roster.

Bird............... phew......... he's just lost out there. Finally he's healthy and now this happens. So weird.

You said whatever Gary can give us would be a bonus. Even though that kinda hurts but its true. Gary is suppose to be one of the pillars. Do we put Judge in the same bracket? His injury is worse and will effect him more than Gary's or Didi's would. I think if he comes back i would have my expecatations super low.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 6 months ago
Pro Bowl

Forgot to mention Miggy and Gleyber. They have been awesome. I have no complaints from either, what I meant was that they shouldn't be expected to carry the team, that's what Gary and Judge and Didi are suppose to do and be expected to make mistakes (Gleyber). It's all part of the process with young guys. They are going to finish top 2 or 3 in the ROY so I have zero complaints.

Anyway...…. it's awesome to find a couple of Yanks fans here to talk to. Being out in LA everyone is a Dodger fan and when you tell them you're a Yankees fan they look at you weird and think you're suspect lmao. So its awesome to talk to fellow fans. The best thing about here is that game are on at a perfect time. I generally miss the first 3 innings on the weekdays if its a 4pm start (i'll have the game up on my phone to listen to) but after I get home I have it on the TV pretty much every evening. Following this team has become fun again since last year. Not only because of the winning but of course that helps but moreso due to the young guys and the culture we have now.

by dieterbrock
5 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Horny Mcbae wrote:Forgot to mention Miggy and Gleyber. They have been awesome. I have no complaints from either, what I meant was that they shouldn't be expected to carry the team, that's what Gary and Judge and Didi are suppose to do and be expected to make mistakes (Gleyber). It's all part of the process with young guys. They are going to finish top 2 or 3 in the ROY so I have zero complaints.

Anyway...…. it's awesome to find a couple of Yanks fans here to talk to. Being out in LA everyone is a Dodger fan and when you tell them you're a Yankees fan they look at you weird and think you're suspect lmao. So its awesome to talk to fellow fans. The best thing about here is that game are on at a perfect time. I generally miss the first 3 innings on the weekdays if its a 4pm start (i'll have the game up on my phone to listen to) but after I get home I have it on the TV pretty much every evening. Following this team has become fun again since last year. Not only because of the winning but of course that helps but moreso due to the young guys and the culture we have now.

As if I didn't like you enough already, now you're a Yankees fan too? Awesome!!
My 3 main sports "loves"/addictions are the Rams, Yankees and Notre Dame Football
Pa and I have been going back and forth on the Yankees for years, and sadly have never been to a game together YET. I know you're younger than us old farts but we still welcome all aboard the Yankee clipper.
My earliest sports memory was watching batting practice (kids used to get real close to the batting cages) and I yelled to Thurman Munson (my idol) to hit a home run for me, he threw me a wink. And he did HR(although I don't think it was for me in particular). I loved Thurman. I think mostly because Reggie Jackson was the "super star" and brought in all kinds of attention to the team, and dare I say "bandwagon" types... But Thurman was the man.
I have somewhat adopted the Dodgers as my NL team, mostly due to one of the greatest guys who left us for the big diamond in the sky. He was a huge Dodger dude and we always talked about how great a Dodgers/Yankees WS would be...

• 1 / 2
12 posts Mar 28 2024