3 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by PARAM
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   12181  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

He has a history of hatred for Jeter. He has attacked him multiple times. What is it. Jealousy?

He's upset about the Marlins dismantling their team and claims it's screwing the So Fla taxpayers who built the stadium. Really? The stadium has been open for six years now and the most wins the Marlins have managed is 79 (2016), not even .500. I would think the taxpapers would be thanking the new regime for a complete tear down and rebuild with aims towards contending consistently. The Astros did it. The Cubs did it. The White Sox are doing it. And now the Marlins.

He controversial, that much is accurate. Attacking the Cuban / American baseball game. His LeBron billboard. His hatred (or jealousy) of Jeter. Giving Deadspin his HOF vote.

Ending the Cuban isolation is GOOD for the Cuban people. It's inevitable that the more exposure to the outside world they get, the better off they will be and the harder it will be for a terrible regime to exist 90 miles from America. And despite Obama, Torre, Mrs. Jackie Robinson being there, he aims for Jeter?

His Lebron billboard, picturing two Championship rings and saying "You're Welcome Lebron" is asinine. Shouldn't the folks of So Fla be thanking him? 1 Championship in their history, LeBron comes and they win back to back?

Gave his HOF vote to Deadspin because they won't elect blatant steroid users. Come on Danny boy...did you really think Cuban born Canseco deserves to be in the HOF, even without the steroid issue?

And the Marlins. Let's not kid ourselves. They've won two World Series by spending huge jack and then immediately dismantling the Champions both times. Danny boy (from Jersey City, NJ) it's different with Jeter. He wants to dismantle a crap team and build a perennial champion.

Dan Lebatard is nothing more than a shock jock, sports style. I despise people who all but fake the depth of their heritage to further their motives. The guy is proof owning a journalism degree doesn't automatically give you "sports knowledge".

by PARAM
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   12181  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

more Lebatard....

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21827546

He keeps asking "were you aware of Jeter's plan to trade players and slash payroll".
Manfred says "we do not approve operating level decisions of individual teams. No."

Lebatard calls that a lie.
Manfred says "I won't be diposed and I won't let you call me a liar".

Now let's get to the nuts and bolts here. EVERYBODY knew the Marlins were going to trade players and slash payroll. No matter WHO bought the team. Lebatard is using this platform in an attempt to make himself look like the people's protector. But the funny thing is, he would have done this no matter who bought the team because the belief is....and it is a strong belief, tried and true.....teams who tear it completely down and rebuild their farm system contend quite quickly (3 - 5 years). He's just a dog with bone here, he's a Rottweiler because of distain for Jeter.

Lebatard keeps saying, "again this is happening in South Florida...." but there's a huge difference. The previous two times it's been dismantling a Championship team. This time it's dismantling a mediocre to bad team. But Mr. Lebatard doesn't acknowledge that. I'd like to know what Lebatard thinks new ownership should have done?

Sign Ozuna to a huge deal? Sign Eric Hosmer? Sign Yu Darvish? Put their payroll in the top 5? And how do they deal with that when the people in South Florida only show up in the postseason? Two of the three lowest teams in attendance are the Marlins and the Rays. Southern California gets the wrap, "there too many fun things to do than attend sporting events" but So. Fla. is exactly the same, maybe more so because practically everybody between 15 and 60 go fishing often.

2003 when the Marlins won the Championship they finished #28 in attendance (16,290 avg). In 1997 when they won for the first time they finished #11 (29,190). They just don't come to games so why should a team sign free agents and quickly build a contender when they have absolutely no hope of making a profit, even if they win it all? The plan for teams in those markets are firesale the good players away for multiple prospects, draft well, build the farm system and have guys under team control who are good. It's not easy to do but with the right people doing it, it's a proven method.

Lebatard is a phony.

• 1 / 1
3 posts Mar 28 2024