21 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by PARAM
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   12186  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

NEW YORK -- Aaron Boone has already helped the Yankees advance to one World Series. Now they want him to lead the franchise to its next one.

Boone has been selected as the 35th manager in franchise history, two sources confirmed to MLB.com on Friday evening, concluding a managerial search that began on October 26 and spanned five weeks. The Yankees have not made an official announcement.

The author of one of the most memorable moments in Yankees postseason history, a deciding home run off Tim Wakefield that defeated the Red Sox in Game 7 of the 2003 American League Championship Series, Boone will assume the prestigious position without any previous coaching or managerial experience.

"I feel like I am the guy that can hopefully help these guys go to another level as players," Boone said after his Nov. 17 interview. "Obviously, they were able to accomplish a lot. A lot of guys not only established themselves this year, but established themselves as stars. Hopefully I can be a part of helping them take it to another level."

General manager Brian Cashman cited "communication and connectivity" as important prerequisites when the Yankees parted ways with Joe Girardi after a decade with him at the helm. Those are challenges that the affable Boone should be able to handle as he begins to familiarize himself with the team's young roster.

A popular clubhouse presence during his playing career, Boone has been a television analyst since his retirement in 2009, giving him considerable exposure to the ocean of advanced statistics that have become vitally important in overseeing a big league game.
"I find myself managing games all the time and thinking about strategies and how I would handle different situations," Boone said. "Certainly, it's fair to question my experience in actually doing the job, but I would say in a way I've been preparing for this job for the last 44 years."

A corner infielder who batted .263 during his 12-year Major League career, Boone played part of the 2003 season with the Yankees. He spent seven seasons with the Reds and also appeared with the Indians, Marlins, Nationals and Astros.

Cashman said on Friday morning that the team was ready to move on from the interview process, having brought Yanks bench coach Rob Thomson, former Indians and Mariners manager Eric Wedge, Giants bench coach Hensley Meulens, Boone, Dodgers third-base coach Chris Woodward and recently retired slugger Carlos Beltran to Yankee Stadium for lengthy interviews.

As such, Cashman said that he was prepared to make his recommendation to managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner, which turned out to be Boone. Thomson, who had been in the Yankees' organization for 28 seasons, plans to accept a bench coach position with the Phillies, while Beltran has said that he is looking forward to spending time at home with his family.

Boone's grandfather, Ray, father, Bob, and brother, Bret, all played in the Majors, and his father managed the Reds (1995-97) and Royals (2001-03).

"I've been going to the ballpark since I was 3 and 4 years old, and in a way, managing the game from a very young age," Boone said. "My dad was in the big leagues from the time I was born to a senior in high school. Being around great teams, great players, I've kind of lived this game."

Boone remains a fan favorite in New York -- and, like Bucky Dent, will always carry an alternative middle name in Boston -- because of that one big swing in the 2003 ALCS. He injured his left knee while playing basketball during the following offseason, setting off a sequence of events that led to the Yankees' February 2004 trade for Alex Rodriguez.
Boone said on Nov. 17 that he believes his brief time with the Yankees will help him prepare for the challenges of managing in the New York spotlight.

"It's just understanding what it is to be a Yankee, what it is to play here and just understanding the expectations that go with it," Boone said. "Certainly the expectations now will be ramped up even more after such a successful season and when you look at the roster that we're going to potentially have out there. I know what I would be signing up for."

LINK

by PARAM
6 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

The guy knows baseball. He's a sabermetrics guy too. And he knows what New York expects. It's NYC so it's going to be interesting.

by PARAM
6 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

LINK

NEW YORK -- Brian Cashman spent the wee hours of Friday morning practicing rappelling off the side of a 22-story building for his annual appearance in a holiday festival in Stamford, Connecticut. In recent years, Cashman has done the EdgeWalk on the side of Toronto's CN Tower and jumped out of a plane for excitement. He's a daredevil, who likes to live dangerously.

For his next stunt, Cashman will present Aaron Boone as the 35th manager in New York Yankees history.

Boone has never managed a baseball game. He has never been a coach in the big leagues. But Cashman, the Yankees' general manager, decided he's the best upgrade over the ousted Joe Girardi.

Arguably, the most prestigious job in the sport is now in the hands of someone who has never written out a lineup card. Cashman loves the high wire.

Boone, 44, will be entrusted with a jewel of an opportunity as the leader of Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Luis Severino and the rest of the supremely talented Baby Bombers. The Yankees might have the best farm system in baseball and they hope to sign the Babe Ruth of Japan, Shohei Ohtani, this winter, while dipping under the luxury tax threshold, positioning them to spend big if they choose next offseason, with Manny Machado and Bryce Harper among the available free agents. From talking to Boone during the postseason, he knows this job comes with more than a few perks.

Boone is personable and well-liked, but even with those qualities, it's not hard to wonder: If he didn't hit that walk-off home run in Game 7 of the 2003 American League Championship Series to extend the Red Sox's curse, would he have even been considered for the job? Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankees' owner, said he favored someone with experience. Boone smartly said it was a valid request, but given his family heritage -- his grandfather, father and brother all were big leaguers, and his dad, Bob Boone, became a manager after his playing career ended -- he made the case he has been training for the job since he was in diapers.

Sources said earlier this week that Boone knocked it out of the park in his interview. Two people with knowledge of the talks said they thought Boone would be the man, beating out a group that included Hensley Meulens (the runner-up), Carlos Beltran and longtime Yankees employee, Rob Thomson. Cashman became enamored with Boone because of his communications skills, which the Yankees hope fit the mold of the modern-day manager, a la the Astros' A.J. Hinch and the Dodgers' Dave Roberts.

Boone seems to have a lot of the traits to be successful, but it's still unknown how he'll react to the angst and grind of the job. It's especially difficult with the expectations so high. With the previous manager let go after falling a game short of the World Series, those expectations aren't lowering anytime soon.

Boone should be able to connect with the players. He has a good read on analytics. And he should be able to handle media sessions.

What will help him the most is a loaded roster and a lot more talent still on the way.
But Boone has to win -- and win big. The Yankees need to avoid the one-game shootout of the wild card they survived this year. They need to win division and league championships and World Series. There can't be any setbacks. It's championships or failure.

And it is all in Boone's hands, thanks to Cashman. The GM is a risk-taker. He has studied Boone and decided he's the best man to lead what could be a Yankees dynasty. There is no safety net.

I don't know how the guy will do but with respect to the highlighted part of the article, nobody knows how a first time manager will react to certain situations. Hell, nobody knows how an experienced manager will react to certain situations in NYC. It's different than managing the Rays or Diamondbacks. So it's good to hear some believe "he has a lot of the traits" needed. And yes, in NYC they like World Series Championships. The Yankees have won just 1 in the last 17 years with a HOF manager (originally called 'Clueless Joe') and his replacement, a former Yankee player who was a part of 3 titles and who won one in his 2nd year at the helm.......8 years ago.......but was constantly second guessed by Yankee fans and the media. I'm hoping that old axiom holds true......great players make a manager look really smart.

by dieterbrock
6 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Being a Rams fan has taught me that just because "history" says a 31 year old cant possibly be ready to be a head coach, molds are meant to be broken.
So maybe he isnt prototype candidate, but I'm good with it.

On a side note, I do think managing in baseball is a little over rated, too much credit/blame when it really just comes down to averages

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

The Yankees started 9-9, never winning or losing more than 2 in a row while Boston started an unrealistic 17-2. It would have been an easy time to panic. Since, the Red Sox have gone 7-7 while the Yankees have gone 14-1. Impressive. They've scored 91 runs in the last 15 games (6.0 per). Bronx Bombers right? In those 15 games, they've allowed 2 or less runs in nine games, 3 or less in twelve and more than 4 in just 2 (winning both). Now, they are separated from Boston by 1 game with 1 game to play before they begin a head to head 3 game series. Ought to be fun. I think this might go on all season. Boone hasn't been severely tested yet but with injuries to Bird, Drury, Kahnle and the sporatic beginning for Giancarlo, it hasn't been a breeze.

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Man another come from behind victory today. They swept LA, took 3 of 4 from Houston and swept Cleveland. The kid German looked real good today. Six IP, 0 hits, 2 walks and 9 K's. And the kid Torres wins it with a walk off 3 run tater. German's last 3 appearances....a relief stint, a long relief stint taking over the injured Montgomery and a start. 13 IP, 8 hits, 1 run, 4 walks, 16 K's. The Yankees have considerable depth on that roster. It's good to be young and talented.

by dieterbrock
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Man another come from behind victory today. They swept LA, took 3 of 4 from Houston and swept Cleveland. The kid German looked real good today. Six IP, 0 hits, 2 walks and 9 K's. And the kid Torres wins it with a walk off 3 run tater. German's last 3 appearances....a relief stint, a long relief stint taking over the injured Montgomery and a start. 13 IP, 8 hits, 1 run, 4 walks, 16 K's. The Yankees have considerable depth on that roster. It's good to be young and talented.

It’s almost impossible to believe that just 2 years ago, a 37 year old Beltran was our best player and outside of him we were pretty average to terrible

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:It’s almost impossible to believe that just 2 years ago, a 37 year old Beltran was our best player and outside of him we were pretty average to terrible

I know Cashman gets a ton of credit but he's even better than that. Trading for Didi. Trading Chapman and Miller getting a ton of prospects. Getting Chapman back. Then trading some of the prospects to get Kahnle, Robertson and Frazier. Trading for Giancarlo (who will get it going). So many good solid moves that just revitalized the roster and farm system to the nth degree. Of course with guys like Sanchez, Judge and Severino developing the way they have.....man they are in a good spot.

by dieterbrock
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I know Cashman gets a ton of credit but he's even better than that. Trading for Didi. Trading Chapman and Miller getting a ton of prospects. Getting Chapman back. Then trading some of the prospects to get Kahnle, Robertson and Frazier. Trading for Giancarlo (who will get it going). So many good solid moves that just revitalized the roster and farm system to the nth degree. Of course with guys like Sanchez, Judge and Severino developing the way they have.....man they are in a good spot.

All while getting under the "unofficial salary cap"....

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Man what a run. 17-1 with a chance to sweep Boston tonight. Another come from behind victory.

• 1 / 3
21 posts Mar 29 2024