21 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by dieterbrock
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Man what a run. 17-1 with a chance to sweep Boston tonight. Another come from behind victory.

If they were to lose, it would be 17-2 run after 9-9 start.
Incidentally, Boston started 17-2 and are 8-9 in their last 17, would be 9-9 with a win tonight.
Symmetry eh?

by PARAM
5 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12186  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:If they were to lose, it would be 17-2 run after 9-9 start.
Incidentally, Boston started 17-2 and are 8-9 in their last 17, would be 9-9 with a win tonight.
Symmetry eh?

And there you have it. Still, down 4 zip the Yanks come back in the 7th to tie but JD Martinez wins it in the 8th with a wall scaper. 26-11 best record in baseball (tied with Boston). If they can beat the teams they are "supposed to beat", they'll be fine. On this 17-2 run they beat solid teams, many in first place at the time. 3 of 4 from Toronto, 4 game sweep of Minnesota, 3 game sweep at the Angels, 3 of 4 at Houston, 3 game sweep of Cleveland and 2 of 3 from Boston. What "good" AL teams weren't on that schedule? 1, Seattle. It's not like they beat up on Tampa a couple of series, Miami, Baltimore and Oakland for 12 of those wins. :idea2: I can't help but think Peter Gammons helped make up the Sox schedule! Boston now goes on to play Toronto, Oakland, Baltimore and Tampa, a repeat of the beginning of their year.

EDIT: Saw this article so I figured I'd add it to this post.

NEW YORK -- Four top contenders. Thirteen games. And, after taking two of three from the Boston Red Sox, the New York Yankees finished the most challenging stretch of their regular-season schedule Thursday night ... with an .846 winning percentage.
Wow.

Since April 27, when this test started in Anaheim, the Yankees have posted not only the best winning percentage in baseball, but the best run differential (plus-30). And, when it really counts, they've been second only to the San Francisco Giants with a .294 batting average with runners in scoring position.

"It's a pretty good team," pitcher CC Sabathia says with a laugh. "A young team. It's fun to be around."

Sabathia and the Yankees' starting pitchers certainly have had a lot of fun lately, posting the best strikeout-to-walk ratio (5.9-1) in the bigs during this run, plus the second-best opponent batting average (.201) and WHIP (0.93), and fourth-best ERA (2.63).

But the numbers tell only a small part of the story. Here's a series-by-series look at how the first-place Yankees overcame the Los Angeles Angels, Houston Astros, Cleveland Indians and Red Sox to go 11-2 -- and send a message to the American League.

LINK

There's more on the link about each series.

by PARAM
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

54 games in......exactly one third of the season......and the Yankees have the best winning percentage in baseball.

Is it:
Boone has them playing well?
Or:
their play has Boone looking good?

A little of both?

Consider this:

Going into the season starting pitching was suspect. The talking heads are still insisting the Yankees have to go out and get a starter (or two) to be legit contenders in the post season. I think someone other than the current 5 will be in the rotation. Perhaps Montgomery. Perhaps Chance Adams. Perhaps Justice Sheffield. Perhaps someone from outside the organization.

The bullpen is strong. One of the best in the league.

Going into the season the offense was all about Judge and Stanton. Judge has delivered. Stanton is still trying to find it. The 3 biggest pickups in the off season were Stanton, Drury and then right before they broke to come north, Neil Walker. Many fans wondered why they didn't just go with Andujar and Torres but they wanted them to get a little more seasoning in the minors.....until they needed them. And now those two are the top two hitters (by average) on the team. Drury can kiss his roster spot good bye unless there's an injury. Walker is the swing man and thus has value. So much so that the Yankees sent their best bench guy and locker room favorite/team mascot Ronald Torreyes down to AAA. How missed is he? When Judge homers he goes down the bench high fiving team mates until he gets to the end and high fives "the air", for Toe.

The Yankees aren't even settled in yet and they own the best percentage in baseball. It's scary to think they could be even better.

by dieterbrock
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

I think that Boone is making quite a few mistakes, but since the team is so good, it has covered that up.
That said, I also believe that the manager position in MLB is likely the most overrated in sports

by PARAM
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:I think that Boone is making quite a few mistakes, but since the team is so good, it has covered that up.
That said, I also believe that the manager position in MLB is likely the most overrated in sports

I'm not going to complain!! He's not as bad as Mickey Callaway!!

That being said, the team is 42-18 (.700) over the first 60 games. The kids (Andujar and Torres) are both hitting over .300. German showed huge cahoneys yesterday. After giving up 3 first innings runs he shut down the Metropolitans with just an infield hit and a bloop double, walking none and striking out 9 over the next 5 innings.

I like hearing the trade rumors for Hamils and deGrom. Montgomery is having TJ surgery and Tanaka is out for a few weeks. They may bring up one of their young studs for a look see before pulling the trigger on a trade.

by dieterbrock
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I'm not going to complain!! He's not as bad as Mickey Callaway!!

That being said, the team is 42-18 (.700) over the first 60 games. The kids (Andujar and Torres) are both hitting over .300. German showed huge cahoneys yesterday. After giving up 3 first innings runs he shut down the Metropolitans with just an infield hit and a bloop double, walking none and striking out 9 over the next 5 innings.

I like hearing the trade rumors for Hamils and deGrom. Montgomery is having TJ surgery and Tanaka is out for a few weeks. They may bring up one of their young studs for a look see before pulling the trigger on a trade.

Just a pleasure to watch.
I hope they don’t make a trade which includes one of these kids as much as we need a legit #2 starter

by PARAM
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Just a pleasure to watch.
I hope they don’t make a trade which includes one of these kids as much as we need a legit #2 starter

Yeah, I would hope Andujar and Torres are off limits. Clint Frazier? Tyler Austin? Estevan Florial? Thairo Estada? I'd package any two of them with a minor league pitcher to get deGrom. Not Hamels though. One for him.

by dieterbrock
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Yeah, I would hope Andujar and Torres are off limits. Clint Frazier? Tyler Austin? Estevan Florial? Thairo Estada? I'd package any two of them with a minor league pitcher to get deGrom. Not Hamels though. One for him.

Lol.
To get DeGrom? Have to include at least Torres or Andujar.
Team jut cant hit right now. Don't understand Boone at all either. Judge hits game winner Saturday night, and sits out Sunday despite having a day off 2 days ago and a day off today.
They'll get hot again, not worried. 3 games up in the loss column.

by PARAM
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:To get DeGrom? Have to include at least Torres or Andujar.

Absolutely not. They have plenty of talent at Triple A (and lower) to get deGrom. The Mets would be nuts not to jump at the chance. They seem to develop pitching like the Dodgers. What they don't develop is hitters. Clint Frazier, Estevan Florial, Thairo Estada and even Everson Pereira. A couple of those guys along with a pitcher or two.....Domingo Acevedo, Chance Adams, Dillon Tate and even Jonathan Loiasiga.......could get deGrom.

Pitching is so unpredictable because of health. 26% of all pitchers at the major league level have had TJ surgery. That means one (or more) of a team's starting staff has a good chance to require it. It would be dumb for the Mets to hold onto somebody, when their needs are plenty, who could be gone for a year in a year or two. It's not like he hasn't had some problems being shut down for the last month of 2016 with elbow problems. He came back to throw 200+ innings last year but then hurt his elbow swinging the bat this year. ?????? Too fluid a problem not to sell high. And it's the perfect reason the Yankees shouldn't (and won't) include Torres or Andujar in a bid to get him.

by dieterbrock
5 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Absolutely not. They have plenty of talent at Triple A (and lower) to get deGrom. The Mets would be nuts not to jump at the chance. They seem to develop pitching like the Dodgers. What they don't develop is hitters. Clint Frazier, Estevan Florial, Thairo Estada and even Everson Pereira. A couple of those guys along with a pitcher or two.....Domingo Acevedo, Chance Adams, Dillon Tate and even Jonathan Loiasiga.......could get deGrom.

Pitching is so unpredictable because of health. 26% of all pitchers at the major league level have had TJ surgery. That means one (or more) of a team's starting staff has a good chance to require it. It would be dumb for the Mets to hold onto somebody, when their needs are plenty, who could be gone for a year in a year or two. It's not like he hasn't had some problems being shut down for the last month of 2016 with elbow problems. He came back to throw 200+ innings last year but then hurt his elbow swinging the bat this year. ?????? Too fluid a problem not to sell high. And it's the perfect reason the Yankees shouldn't (and won't) include Torres or Andujar in a bid to get him.

The Mets will not trade DeGrom to the Yankees. Period.

• 2 / 3
21 posts Mar 28 2024