403 posts
  • 1 / 41
 by Hacksaw
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Well that was a disaster of a season. All the injuries (Randall gm 1), mismanagement and Kobe's contract put the Kibosh on this season.
Now come the lottery. What kind of system is it that even based on record you still get a chance to get knocked out. I mean the deal with Philly was what it was, but losing a pick because a numbered ping pong ball does or does not fall seems ridiculous. Why not just flip a coin at half court to see who wins and forget about jumping the ball.

Any way this tam is on the skids without Jerry Buss around to set it straight. Sad days in Lakerland.

So how long will it take this team to get back to the playoffs?

by ramsman34
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8462  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I have lost all interest in the Lakers, and B-ball in general. Ever since I started skating and now playing hockey - I AM OBSESSED!!

That said, very disappointing in the Kings end of season. But the last 5 years have been pretty spectacular to watch.

by Elvis
8 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I was such a big Lakers fan as a 10 year old kid ('71-'72) all the way through my college years and my 20's: Showtime with Magic and everyone else. But sometime after that i just lost interest. And when Kobe, Shaq and Phil Jackson started winning championships like they were going out of style, i just didn't care anymore. Too bad, there was a lot to celebrate.

It's funny looking back, that '71-'72 team was my first year as a fan of anything. And they were one of the greatest teams of all time. I just figured you liked a team and then they were great. Turns out it doesn't work like that...

by Rams Dominate
8 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   240  
Ireland   Monterey Peninsula
Rookie

Been a Lakers fan since they drafted Elgin Baylor, yeah, I go Waaaaaaayyyy back...I've been pretty disappointed in the product as it presently is but the Lakers lucking into getting the #2 overall pick in the up coming draft should really help right the ship...The concensus is the Lakers will take Okafor with their pick from Duke, pair him with Julius Randall (last years #1 pick) & this kid Clarkson they took in round 2, that made the 1st team All-Rookies, bodes well for this team getting better sooner than later...
To me the Lakers going all in to sign Howard was a mistake, him & Kobe were oil & water & thinking Kobe still has it was a mistake also, he got old in a hurry & will never be what he was, altho he'll always be a great example of dedication to the sport...The Lakers imo have some former #1 picks that were a poor fit with their former teams that will be good players after playing together this past year as Lakers, so getting a young talented center will be huge & its my belief the Lakers will be pretty good in a couple of years...I read on ESPNLA that the Lakers will have 3 good picks in the upcoming draft #2, #26 & I believe #34, not that sure about the positions of the last 2 picks but I'm pretty close...My 2 cents...

Doesn't look like anyone's interested but I went to Lakers .com this morning & verified our top 3 draft picks, we pick #2, #27 & #34 in the upcoming draft...Don't think Mitch Kupchak has many friends here but I happen to think he's a great evaluator of talent, with that many picks this draft will go a long way towards re-stocking the pantry...

by snackdaddy
8 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9630  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I can remember that 33 game win streak and championship with Wilt, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich, etc. The Showtime years were tremendous. And to see them beat Boston in the finals a few years ago was awesome.

So yes, its tough being a Lakers fan these days. I watched a game a couple months ago and didn't recognize half the names. I think its gonna take time to build another contender. Getting the number two pick along with Julius Randle back from injury is a good start. Either of the top two big men in the draft can be a good starting point for a rebuilding team. They just need to wait till Kobe retires before they really start trying to build a championship roster through free agency. It ain't gonna happen next year.

by Rams Dominate
8 years 9 months ago
Rookie

I remember the "Streak" as well & welcome snackdaddy...
Your spot on with your post, the kid we're projected as taking at #2, Okafor from Duke, 6'11" & is just 19 years old, he's still growing & will wind up a big 7 footer...It will take him awhile to get the stars out of his eyes but in 2-3 years he will be special...Watched some highlights on him & he has a nice offensive game & hits the boards...I was really surprised at all the former 1st draft picks on the Lakers roster but they are playing together as starters again & playing well at times...Saw a video of Julius Randle going 2 on 2 with Mark Madsen & someone else I didn't recognize & Randle was schooling Madsen bigtime...Randles lost a little weight on purpose & is very agile with a sweet jumper, very accurate...I think the Lakers are 2-3 years away from being pretty good, time will tell, Randle will be a star...

by Elvis
8 years 9 months ago
Administrator

That 71-72 season was just magical to me as a 10 year old kid. It's one of my favorite childhood memories...

by Rams Dominate
8 years 9 months ago
Rookie

Been watching the Lakers since they moved to L,A. & "The Streak" was special & I'll never forget it, but for me my best memories were "Showtime" with Magic running the break, Magic in the middle with Cooper & Worthy on the wings, Kareems sky hook, Keith Silk Wilkes with that weird back of his head jumper that he always made no matter how it looked, Magics baby sky hook across the key to sink the Celtics etc. I just couldn't get enough of that team, & to me that was the Greatest Team Ever...

by Elvis
8 years 9 months ago
Administrator

Showtime was the original GSOT, unbelievably great times being a fan of those 80's Laker teams. Besides the obvious guys, i always really liked Norm Nixon, in fact at one point, i think he and Don Ford were my favorite Lakers, back when West was coach...

by Rams Dominate
8 years 9 months ago
Rookie

LOL, Showtime vs GSOT, good comparison, wonder who would win?...I remember Don Ford, didn't he go to UC Santa Barbara? I liked Norn Nixon as well, Byron Scott, Kurt Rambis...I also remember when the Lakers were training in Hawaii, they had just drafted Vladi Divac in Rd.1 & they were scrimmaging (the Times reported this) anyway they had just ran a fast break & Divac was just trotting up the floor, Magic suddenly stopped & screamed at Divac, "RUN"! Divac later said he never lolly gagged again...That was his initiation to Showtime...LMAO...
There are some that say Jerry West coulda made the HOF as a General Manager & I won't argue that...

• 1 / 41
403 posts Mar 28 2024