15 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by phoenixrising
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   820  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

PARAM wrote:No. What else stands out as different is the fact last year he was installing a completely new offense. This year the skill players (with the exception of Cooks) and the O line are well versed in this offense. Same goes for the defense....Talib, while new to the Rams is not new to Phillips defensive scheme. It's possible they don't need the amount of work they needed last year. I'm not sure he would have played anything different if it weren't the Raiders they were facing Saturday.

Exactly.

McVay last year was more concerned with getting the ship turned than with injuries. I guess we'll never really know. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Offense plays only about a quarter next week. Defense maybe a little more. McVay seems really cautious this year. It's a fine line. If it were me, I'd play the starters one series the 2nd game (but not against Oak.) and one half the third game.

by /zn/
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6792  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:No. What else stands out as different is the fact last year he was installing a completely new offense. This year the skill players (with the exception of Cooks) and the O line are well versed in this offense. Same goes for the defense....Talib, while new to the Rams is not new to Phillips defensive scheme. It's possible they don't need the amount of work they needed last year. I'm not sure he would have played anything different if it weren't the Raiders they were facing Saturday.

Well we don't know. But I doubt it. The problem with the Raider game is that because it threw in the "week 1 opponent" wildcard, it encourages the possibility of coming up with theories. As in, since they didn't play anyone, it leaves open the possibility that (a) McVay didn't intend to play anyone and that's a huge problem, or (b) McVay didn't intend to play anyone and that's a good thing.

I think it would have just been the norm. The system may be the same but they spent all summer saying they were tweaking it. They liked the scrimmages because, they said, it gave them a chance to adjust on the fly and get good film on what to work on. To me that doesn't sound like people who, if given the choice (which the Raider game took away), think you cut back on playing the starters in the preseason.

But it's all theories.

by PARAM
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   12296  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:But it's all theories.

Exactly.

by /zn/
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6792  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Well we don't know. I think...To me...But it's all theories.

PARAM wrote:But it's all theories.

PARAM wrote:Exactly.

All theories

Quite.

Old chap.

• 2 / 2
15 posts May 26 2024