16 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Just saw the backup DE for the Vikings get carted off and just like every preseason, there are going to be injuries.

But it got me to thinking about trying to protect these guys. I mean, if you hold them out to avoid injury does that mean you feel like it's inevitable that an injury is going to happen? Or do you take them out to avoid the fluke injury that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been playing? Does playing not to get hurt actually lead to getting hurt? Being tentative, trying to avoid injury because it's just a scrimmage.

Or are some guys just not built for the rigors of the NFL? The more they play, the more their chances of injury increase?

I guess I'm kind of all over the place with my thoughts but I feel like a lot of these guys who get hurt, would have wound up hurt anyway. Their muscles and ligaments just not "special" in that way that elite guys have to be.

Overall, since many teams are at the point of doing nothing "real" during the preseason games anyway, they're going to have to expand the season again.

by Hacksaw
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Risk to reward. Getting hurt in a game that counts makes the risk more defensible. Just hope they can flip the switch when the real games are up.

by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Risk to reward. Getting hurt in a game that counts makes the risk more defensible. Just hope they can flip the switch when the real games are up.
Are some guys just going to get injured though? It seems regardless of approach, some guys are going to miss time. So, is it better to subject those guys to playing and identify them and move on?

Hoping a guy who always gets hurt isn't going to get hurt again seems counterproductive. Fluke stuff against guys who generally stay healthy seems reasonable but how often do those fluke injuries happen to guys who know how to stay on the field?

by Hacksaw
5 years 7 months ago

moklerman wrote:Are some guys just going to get injured though? It seems regardless of approach, some guys are going to miss time. So, is it better to subject those guys to playing and identify them and move on?

Hoping a guy who always gets hurt isn't going to get hurt again seems counterproductive. Fluke stuff against guys who generally stay healthy seems reasonable but how often do those fluke injuries happen to guys who know how to stay on the field?

The fear of losing players to the fluke roll up or losing a player who is not in complete football condition (yet) is where a lot comes from. Players are thinking more than reacting early on as well.
Sure some guys are built tougher than others. More elasticity, bigger bones.
At the pro level, I'd have to think that any individual player has been tested, observed and the weaker have been weeded out.
Pro vs pro is the real test but it still seems a bit risky to put players in harms way for games that don't count. these guys are big and fast. Most are really tough too, but when guys like Ndamukong Suh hit you, anything could happen.

by Hacksaw
5 years 7 months ago

That unnecessary roughness on 95 Brown is another reason why you start the 2's in preseason....

by sloramfan
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

i was in the george allen "play to win" always camp years ago, but now, it's all about ability and AVAILABILITY, so i'm in solid with the rest 'em crowd...

it's a different world... todays pros are pros 365 days a year... they are always ready, and if they aren't.. well, nice knowin' ya...

go rams

slo

by Elvis
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38377  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The more you play, the more chance there is of getting hurt, makes sense to try and limit that risk, as much as possible, to games that matter...

by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2071  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Some guys just don't get hurt. I don't think it has anything to do with bigger bones. Better ligaments and cartilage some. Others have a higher pain tolerance.
You have to have at least a moderate degree of pain tolerance to play football in the first place. If soccer players played football against each other you would never get past the first quarter because they would all be rolling around crying like they were actually hurt.

Like I said in an earlier post on another related topic: Play the pre-season games in June and early July after a training camp right after graduation. then about six weeks recovery and start the season.

Further thought says need two pre-season games just before the regular season. Mostly to finish evaluation of the rookies and free agents

by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2071  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

And still the early training camp and pre-season.

• 1 / 2
16 posts Mar 28 2024