18 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

was recently watching some highlight vids of donald in action, and one vid in particular jumped out, the guy offers an excellent breakdown of donald's play, and then adds "he's getting double and tripled teamed every single game..."

of course we've heard that a bunch, how often donald gets double (triple?) teamed, the funny thing is that it never seems to be the case in his highlight videos, including the above vid i mentioned where the guy makes a point of talking about how frequently donald gets multi-teamed, instead the highlight vids overwhelmingly show donald one on one.

not a bust on donald, because he does get double teamed at times, but the guy has made a living feasting on guards one on one, or splitting olinemen before they have a chance to double team him. in fact, not sure how you double team him effectively, he's so damn fast, splits gaps in a blink of an eye, and the rams do a great job of forcing the offensive tackle to take the edge guy, leaving donald alone in the b-gap... actually, i'm surprised more teams don't try to trap/wham him more, altho i feel sorry for the guy who draws that straw!

by BobCarl
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   4283  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Sure Donald does get doubled a lot ... when we do the math, there are 5 O-linemen and 4 d-line players rushing the QB ... someone is going to be double teamed ... but wait ... very often there is also a TE or FB staying in to help block, thus two defenders get double teamed ... or one gets triple teamed.

Makes sense that on 3rd and long the o-line blocks so as to have two going against him.

I watched the last video (2015) ... it seemed quite often that when Donald makes a big play, the guy to make first contact would just chip him and was more focused on running past Donald so as to make a block at the 2nd level. In 2015 he was known to over pursue opening the way for the RB to chew up a large chunk of yardage.

I hope that Donald is signed and ready to play game 1 ... I want to see Donald battle it out with Kelechi Osemele and Gabe Jackson.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

According to this account,

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ay-the-man

On passing downs last season, Donald made contact with at least two opposing offensive players on the greatest percentage of snaps (83.5 percent) of any interior defender in the league.

Donald... made contact with at least two opposing offensive players on 79.8 percent of rushing downs (the most of any Ram and the third-most in the NFL at his position)

by AvengerRam
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I think you have to define your terms.

One type of double-team involves a player being blocked by two lineman from the snap. That type can easily be seen on film and counted. While even Donald might have trouble beating that type of double team, the fact that he's monopolizing two blockers undoubtedly opens things up for other defenders.

The second type of double-team I'll call a tiered approach. That is where one lineman is assigned the job of blocking a player, and another is his back-up (either a RB or another OL who rotates over). I suspect that this type of approach is used with Donald, but fails due to his quickness (i.e. he beats the initial guy and gets to the ball carrier before someone else can rotate over).

What makes the Donald/Suh pairing so intriguing is that Suh also commands double-teams. At some point, it becomes a numbers game. You can't devote four blockers to two players and hope to control the others (Brockers, Ebukam, etc.), even if you play "max protect" which, of course, limits the targets in the passing game. That means that either Donald or Suh will be one-on-one on a regular basis. That will be fun to watch.

by snackdaddy
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I didn't sleep all that well last night so I got up late. I'm kinda groggy this morning. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet. So I'll keep it simple. Aaron Donald is really, really good. 8-)

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I didn't sleep all that well last night so I got up late. I'm kinda groggy this morning. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet. So I'll keep it simple. Aaron Donald is really, really good. 8-)

yeah, think the kid will have a decent nfl career.

by snackdaddy
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:yeah, think the kid will have a decent nfl career.

Mel Kiper thinks it was a good pick. Sounds like a steal.

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Flash wrote:Look at that list, and we picked Greg "fucking" Robinson.

mack instead of grob at 2, donald at 13 (assuming he was still there), we would have two holdouts now looking for a combined 25%+ of the cap, ha ha...

• 1 / 2
18 posts Mar 29 2024