34 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by TomSlick
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2907  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:Slick: Where is the picture of the mules from?

Peru. We did a 6 day trek (hike) on the Salkantay and Inca trails. The donkeys ("Burros" in Spanish) were used to carry duffel bags, tents and food over the Salkantay pass. Apparently, like horses, their night vision is outstanding. That ability came in handy.

by TomSlick
5 years 7 months ago
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:vinny recently reported that mcvay had contacted snead prior to the game and asked for thursday's preseason game off, said he needed to run a bunch of errands but not to worry, he had gotten a good week out of the guys... apparently snead told mcvay that he pretty much had to show up, because it would be hard to explain his absence, but if he wanted to catch up on his texting and other stuff from the sidelines it would be fine... interestingly, according to vinny, neither snead nor mcvay seemed concerned about putting players in harm's way for nothing... hopefully this isn't a red flag going forward.

Thursday off? I mean, for appearances alone, it would look weird. Can only assume the days before the game, practices (as indicated by McVay) went well, but just seems bizarre.

by TomSlick
5 years 7 months ago
Superstar

dieterbrock wrote:I think most, if not all, played their 2’s in their first game and I don’t think anyone looked as bad as the Rams. Can’t believe that was the plan and that McVay is ok with it.

The last 3 games (49ers, Falcons, Ravens) have done little for my disposition. Granted, two of them were bull-dung games, but it would be nice to see a crisp performance, even for just a series or two, located somewhere in the 60 minutes of play. A little too much feeling of Fisher incompetence ball, lately, for my druthers.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2072  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Both Coach McVay and Phillips have also been granted personal days off Friday August 31 through Sunday September 2nd and Friday November 9 through Sunday November 11. Could be a coincidence but dates coincide with opening weekend of dove season and pheasant season. Friday most likely their travel date. Also both coaches have dentist appointments "scheduled" for Monday morning and might be a little late.

by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:vinny recently reported that mcvay had contacted snead prior to the game and asked for thursday's preseason game off, said he needed to run a bunch of errands but not to worry, he had gotten a good week out of the guys... apparently snead told mcvay that he pretty much had to show up, because it would be hard to explain his absence, but if he wanted to catch up on his texting and other stuff from the sidelines it would be fine... interestingly, according to vinny, neither snead nor mcvay seemed concerned about putting players in harm's way for nothing... hopefully this isn't a red flag going forward.
Obviously sarcasm, which means the Rams were actually "up" for this game. They were focused, determined and took it very seriously. Just what does that say about their performance?

by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

When you look at it, the "resting everyone" approach seems to be lacking. They took the 49ers game off, game out flat against the Vikings and showed little against the Ravens. Hopefully the proverbial switch can be flipped but it's been a while since we've seen the Rams offense really clicking.

What struck me more was the poor tackling. Which among other things led me to question the intensity of the team. I don't like the feeling that this team thinks it's so good that it can just turn it on when it decides to. Which is what it feels like to me right now.

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:When you look at it, the "resting everyone" approach seems to be lacking. They took the 49ers game off, game out flat against the Vikings and showed little against the Ravens. Hopefully the proverbial switch can be flipped but it's been a while since we've seen the Rams offense really clicking.

What struck me more was the poor tackling. Which among other things led me to question the intensity of the team. I don't like the feeling that this team thinks it's so good that it can just turn it on when it decides to. Which is what it feels like to me right now.

the super bowl champs sat their starters for the final 3 quarters of game 16, then took two weeks off before their first postseason game, then took another two weeks off before the super bowl, seemed to work out ok for them? the rams sat their entire team, not just their starters, during the week 8 bye, and then came out beat the livin' crap out of the giants 51-17.

anyway, resting starters the last game of the season when you can't improve on your postseason slot is a tough call, i see both sides, but i always find myself leaning towards protecting against injury.

by moklerman
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:the super bowl champs sat their starters for the final 3 quarters of game 16, then took two weeks off before their first postseason game, then took another two weeks off before the super bowl, seemed to work out ok for them? the rams sat their entire team, not just their starters, during the week 8 bye, and then came out beat the livin' crap out of the giants 51-17.

anyway, resting starters the last game of the season when you can't improve on your postseason slot is a tough call, i see both sides, but i always find myself leaning towards protecting against injury.
I'm sure there are plenty of examples of both sides of the coin, but with this Rams group it hasn't looked too good recently.

I still fear the dreaded "believing your own press" snare. These guys are being hyped to the max and they haven't actually done anything yet when it comes to winning in the post season.

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of examples of both sides of the coin, but with this Rams group it hasn't looked too good recently.

there's no correlation between resting your guys the week before a postseason game and winning/losing the postseason game, which is underscored by the large number of teams that opt for one or the other. re the rams, it's happened once by my count, the falcons game, wouldn't call that a trend, moreover i think you could point to a bunch of other reasons for the loss that would make much more sense than the rams rested their guys the week before.

the last game of 2017? backups vs 1s... will the rams ever have to field all of their backups vs 1s in games that matter? pretty unlikely. last week's preseason game? a scrimmage in which the starters didn't play. one of four that don't count in the standings, that mean nothing in terms of what to expect from the regular season. still, i'm sure mcvay and company would have liked to see much better execution from the depth guys.

moklerman wrote:I still fear the dreaded "believing your own press" snare. These guys are being hyped to the max and they haven't actually done anything yet when it comes to winning in the post season.

"believing your own press" is just silly media fodder, it's made up stuff, and has no bearing on the game or how players prepare... these guys bust their asses, take beatings, the notion that they're going to all of sudden not play hard because they don't think they have to, because the headlines have said they're great and that's good enough for them, is just plain nonsense... the nfl is tough, there's a reason there aren't a bunch of perennial winners like the patriots in the league, it's damn hard to kick ass year in and year out, that's what causes teams to fail, the uber competitiveness of the league, not "believing your own press".

btw, fwiw, the super bowl champs finished the 2017 season by getting shutout in a 0-6 loss at home, and got whipped at home in their 2018 preseason opener 14-31... my guess is vegas isn't scrambling to adjust their super bowl odds.

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

dating back to the 2010 season, how teams that went 0-4 and 4-0 in preseason play fared in the regular season, red text = made the postseason:

VirtualBox_2018-08-13_02-48-42.png

• 3 / 4
34 posts Mar 29 2024