13 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12185  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't understand the negotiating process with Donald. They were going to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. They have the right to franchise him in 2019, 2020 and 2021 possibly for less money.

This year's DT franchise value is 13.9 million (up 0.6 mil from 2017). Even if the increase is doubled to 1.2 in 2019 that's 15.1. 120% of the 2019 number would be 18.1 in 2020 and 144% of the 2020 number would be 26.0 mil in 2021. That's only 59 million, less than 20 mil per year and at the end Donald is 30 years old.

And if it's an increase of 0.6 in 2019, then it's 14.5, 17.4 and 25.1 or 57 mil total.

I don't see why he doesn't take the "highest paid" defensive player offer with the guarantees. It's mind boggling.

by majik
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1199  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

I don’t think it is a choice. If you are not eligible for UFA and are a RFA, you cannot be franchise tagged, which might be want Donald wants. He is risking $8M (difference between Frnchise Tag salary and RFA 1st Round tender) but he gets the ability to negotiate with other teams as an RFA and figures someone will offer him more than $15M per year and sacrifice only a 1st Round Pick (which is what we essentially wound up doing with Cooks)

I think Donald and his agent are a whole lot smarter than everyone gave them credit for by potentially avoiding the franchise tag

by snackdaddy
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

majik wrote:I don’t think it is a choice. If you are not eligible for UFA and are a RFA, you cannot be franchise tagged, which might be want Donald wants.

I keep hearing that the August 7 date is a moot point because the Rams would likely franchise tag him anyway. So I'm pretty sure they can franchise tag him if he doesn't report by then.

I don't know what the rules are for the non exclusive tag are, but it says if a team signs him to an offer sheet and the Rams don't match it, the team would have to give the Rams two first round picks.

I don't know if that is an option for the Rams, but I'd go that route instead of the one that only gives them one pick.

by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons (six or more regular season games with a team)[1] of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players, known as a "tender") from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a five-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

LINK

Hasn't that boat sailed? He's under contract through 2018 and will be a UFA in 2019.

Why would the Rams be stupid enough to do that if it were possible? Ziggie sure! Fisher? Sure. But Demoff, Snead and McVay? They have control of Donald through 2021 if they want. I hope they come to an agreement but if not......

by snackdaddy
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I don't understand the negotiating process with Donald. They were going to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league. They have the right to franchise him in 2019, 2020 and 2021 possibly for less money.

This year's DT franchise value is 13.9 million (up 0.6 mil from 2017). Even if the increase is doubled to 1.2 in 2019 that's 15.1. 120% of the 2019 number would be 18.1 in 2020 and 144% of the 2020 number would be 26.0 mil in 2021. That's only 59 million, less than 20 mil per year and at the end Donald is 30 years old.

And if it's an increase of 0.6 in 2019, then it's 14.5, 17.4 and 25.1 or 57 mil total.

I don't see why he doesn't take the "highest paid" defensive player offer with the guarantees. It's mind boggling.

Yes, it does boggle the mind. I think the franchise tag at DT is best for the Rams. No one can sign him and its a lot less than he would get in the open market.

I have no idea why he wouldn't take a deal that would make him the highest paid non QB ever and he would be set for life. No need to worry if his career went south due to injury because I'm sure the guaranteed money would be substantial.

The only thing I can think of is his agent wants the be that pioneer who blazed the trail for non QB's to get record setting deals. He would be knows as a super agent. But is he acting in Donald's best interest? Because this could backfire on him if the Rams stick to their guns and franchise tag him if he doesn't accept their offer.

I suppose he could sit out the whole season but the Rams are still going to be playing. They'll be a contender either way. And they will still hold the rights to him.

by 69RamFan
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3164  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

majik wrote:I don’t think it is a choice. If you are not eligible for UFA and are a RFA, you cannot be franchise tagged, which might be want Donald wants. He is risking $8M (difference between Frnchise Tag salary and RFA 1st Round tender) but he gets the ability to negotiate with other teams as an RFA and figures someone will offer him more than $15M per year and sacrifice only a 1st Round Pick (which is what we essentially wound up doing with Cooks)

I think Donald and his agent are a whole lot smarter than everyone gave them credit for by potentially avoiding the franchise tag

Try doing some research,,,

I just helped you out.....

RAMs own his ass...… :D :D :D

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... on-donald/

August 7 deadline likely won’t make a difference for Aaron Donald
Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2018, 8:53 AM EDT

Getty Images
The holdout continues for Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, thanks to (as recently explained by Rams COO Kevin Demoff) a fundamental disagreement between what the player wants and what the team will pay.
A key deadline for Donald is coming in two days, but that deadline isn’t likely to get him to cave.

The CBA provides that any player under contract who doesn’t report to camp by the 30th day before the start of the regular season does not acquire a year of credit toward free agency. Donald, who is entering his fifth NFL season, has only three years of credit toward free agency, because he held out into September last year. Thus, if he doesn’t show up by Tuesday, August 7 (30 days before the September 6 regular-season opener between the Falcons and Eagles), Donald will be stuck at three years of credit toward free agency, keeping him from becoming an unrestricted free agent in March.
So, coach Sean McVay, do you think Donald will show up in order to get his key fourth year of credit toward free agency?
“You know, I’m not really sure,” McVay told reporters on Saturday. “We’re scheduled to meet together with [General Manager] Les [Snead], Kevin, myself and Tony [Pastoors] tonight to discuss kind of where we are at. There really hasn’t been much progress in terms of the dialogue since camp. I know that we’re very intentional about trying to get him here, love to have him.”
They’d love to have him, but on their terms. And the August 7 deadline won’t make a difference, because Donald’s three years of credit toward free agency still make him eligible for restricted free agency. Which means that the Rams can either apply the highest level of RFA tender, which would give them a right to match an offer sheet from another team and a first-round pick as compensation if they don’t, or use the franchise tag. Given that plenty of other teams (especially those picking late in round one) would gladly give up a first-round draft pick to get Donald, the Rams will be using the franchise tag, regardless of whether Donald is restricted or unrestricted.
The far more relevant deadline comes on Thursday, August 9, when Donald skips L.A.’s game at Baltimore — and potentially loses more than $400,000 under an obscure CBA provision that sets the fine for players in their fifth-year options at one regular-season game check for each preseason game missed. Last year, the Rams waived the daily training-camp fines that Donald racked up during an extended holdout. This year, the stakes will be higher, thanks to more than $3.2 million in potential fines if Donald once again shows up on the eve of Week One.
Either way, Donald and the Rams remain dug in, and the real question is whether, unlike last year, his holdout will linger into the regular season, which starts with a Monday night game against the Raiders.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/ ... marked.pdf

Section 1. Franchise Player Designations: Except as set forth in Section 9 below,
each Club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an
Unrestricted Free Agent as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this
Agreement. The player so designated may be one who would otherwise be a Restricted
Free Agent.

by dieterbrock
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I don't understand the negotiating process with Donald. They were going to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league..

Well that's the problem, we don't know what they offered him, that he was being offered "highest paid defensive player in the league" money

by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Well that's the problem, we don't know what they offered him, that he was being offered "highest paid defensive player in the league" money

No we don't. I thought I read somewhere (which could be erroneous) that what they offered him would have made him the highest paid defensive player. I don't know if he's going to get a contract this year. I hope he does. But if he doesn't we're probably all going to find out the dirty little details. Like I pointed out earlier in the thread, they can have Donald for the next 4 years (including 2018) for 57 to 59 million plus his 2018 salary (6.8). That's a deal at 16.5 mil per season.

Now nobody wants a disgruntled player but on the other hand nobody wants a me-first greedy player. I'm not suggesting Donald is either.....right now.....but we will find out (as well as how the Rams are playing it) if he doesn't sign this season.

• 1 / 2
13 posts Mar 28 2024