30 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Good interview. Hopefully they'll put it up.

Some news on Donald.

Demoff said the two sides don't agree on what Donald should be paid. I know that's obvious but he didn't make it sound like it was just about the structure of the deal, said it was about the numbers.

He also said, "I've seen numbers (in public), none of them are accurate..."

This wasn't quite the say nothing, make nice statement on the contract situation that we've all become accustomed to...

well that's pretty unsettling given all of the numbers that have been thrown around publicly, makes me believe that donald's camp wants $30/yr, or close to it, and aren't interested in anything in the low $20/yr range...

by ramsfan1977
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1319  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:He doesnt have options...
The RAMs can put a exclusive tag as a RFA in 2019 so he wouldn't have a chance to negotiate with other teams...

Look what happen to Odell Beckham....
He was probably told if he doesnt show up,,, he will be fine and then tagged starting next year...
He is on the same boat as AD...

But now all of a sudden OBJ is in camp... cause he doesnt want to lose any money for this year and be fined...

What it boils down to,,, the RAMs are not playing hard ball at this moment,,, they are trying to play fair for AD.... but his agent are trying to play hard ball.... from what I can see.... IMO....

Yes he has options but yes I was wrong about tagging an RFA. I got that one wrong in my head for some reason so I stand corrected. Next time I will look it up first before blurting. 8-)

So assuming a tag, if it even gets to that. -->

The way I see this situation, if tagged he can hold out and demand a trade (I would, I mean why play in the prime of your career under a lowball tag amount). My understanding is that a tag amount still counts against the cap even if the player doesn't sign it. I also assume just based on observation that starting caliber players who demand trades tend to get them.

Plus as I said, nothing we have heard yet causes me to assume that it's simply a case of AD asking for too much. From what we actually know, it is equally possible the Rams are stalled at offering too little. Or we don't know which it is. Or it could be both.

by 69RamFan
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3164  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

/zn/ wrote:Yes he has options but yes I was wrong about tagging an RFA. I got that one wrong in my head for some reason so I stand corrected. Next time I will look it up first before blurting. 8-)

So assuming a tag, if it even gets to that. -->

The way I see this situation, if tagged he can hold out and demand a trade (I would, I mean why play in the prime of your career under a lowball tag amount). My understanding is that a tag amount still counts against the cap even if the player doesn't sign it. I also assume just based on observation that starting caliber players who demand trades tend to get them.

Plus as I said, nothing we have heard yet causes me to assume that it's simply a case of AD asking for too much. From what we actually know, it is equally possible the Rams are stalled at offering too little. Or we don't know which it is. Or it could be both.

Look what happen to OBJ....
He was asking for the dream too...
and he never got traded... because the G-men hold all the cards..

AD is not going to hold out,,, that's money he will lose and will never make that up...

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I don't read anything into that statement by Demoff.
The numbers could be 21.2 million and 24.9 and he can make that statement, you know what I mean?

sure, but i think demoff was speaking in a broader sense.... i'm sure he's aware of the numbers that have been discussed publicly, they're obvious numbers, i.e. what it would take to make donald the highest paid defender, what the top 10 or so qbs make, etc. but one number that hasn't been mentioned is $30/yr+ (as far as i know), and maybe that's what demoff meant, maybe donald's camp doesn't just want qb money, top qb money, maybe they want donald to be the highest paid player in football?

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:Look what happen to OBJ....
He was asking for the dream too...
and he never got traded... because the G-men hold all the cards..

AD is not going to hold out,,, that's money he will lose and will never make that up...

OBJ never got traded because he did not take the leap and hold out. Unlike Donald, he also didn't re-negotiate after year 3, which under the 1st round picks have the right to do. As far as I know AD is the only one who did exercise that option who was not signed to a longterm deal (others include Kuechly, Watt, and Frederick).

AD is not demanding a trade either, but I would think he would under a tag. In 2019, it will have been 4 years since Von Miller's 19 M deal in 2016, and since contracts go up annually, he would have to expect a decent percentage more than 19 M. I am guessing the tag amount in 2019 for DTs is 15, which comes in way short. That would mean he was in his 6th year without once getting paid anything near his real value.

I know the "best defender" market issue is tricky, but, sitting still for being underpaid 6 consecutive years is a lot to ask.

And for all we know OBJ doesn't sign after 2018 and ends up in a situation where he holds out and demands a trade too.

by ramsman34
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   8462  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Dick84 wrote:Either way... I don't cave.
He's not going to sit out the entire year.
The Rams defense, without him, will be really good. With him, it could be great.
They'll get him at some point and, hopefully be in the playoff hunt. If he's there for the playoffs, that's what really matters for *this year*.

At that point.. whichever it is...RFA with one draft pick compensation or Tagged with 2.. you deal with it. If he wants to leave and can get that money, you take the first and spend your money wisely on Suh and other players.

20-22 has always been my max. 21 is what I think it should be.

I am with you on this. Especially the part about Suh. We need to watch that sitch closely. If the Rams playbas well as we think they will, AD may “force the Rams to choose either him or Suh - no way they can keep both after this season. So if the AD sitch goes to tagged/hold out after this season, expect the Rams to use that money on Suh and trade AD, if they control his rights (I don’t know the details of how that works).

by BuiltRamTough
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5357  
Armenia   Los Angeles
Hall of Fame

OBJ is a distraction and a clown but I bet anything that some teams would rather have OBJ then Donald. Fact that OBJ hasn’t been a hold out but Donald has is kinda weird.

by dieterbrock
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

OBJ is surely taking a different path.
Despite getting injured last season and jeopardizing his $$$, he has shown up ready to play, and apparently in freakishly amazing shape.

by Horny Mcbae
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1543  
United States of America   South Bay, Los Angeles
Pro Bowl

We do all those off season moves to really go for it this year and one of the most important players and someone who has been through the losing all those years doesn't give a shit about it. Good job Aaron.

Last year he missed one game and then it took him till week 3 to get right and go full speed. I was really pissed off at that but not as much as i would be if he misses a game or more this season. Every game counts even more this year. We want that division. We want home field. We are playing for a Lombardi, we need all hands on deck fully invested and motivated or its not gonna get done.

He signed a contract. Fact. He is not honoring his current contract. Fact. From reports it seems he is being offered the highest salary ever offered to a defensive player and he isn't accepting that. Like i've said earlier if there was no salary cap i wouldn't even blink at 30M a year for Donald. 35M a year even. After hearing Demoff speak (i know i take everything he says with a grain of salt, he's a businessman and a negotiator, that statement was part of it) i think Donald and his agent are asking for a salary as if it was non capped league. Team building be damned. Winning be damned. Did he not see what Suh did in Miami? I guess he doesn't give a shit as long as he gets paid. Ain't nothing wrong with wanting money but at some point you have to decide whether that's all you are in it for.

Shouldn't he be one of the leaders in that locker room with Todd and Jared? He is setting a horrible example while Todd is running sprints after practice, then catching balls and THEN signing autographs for an hour.

Lets say we lose week 1 without him. Even if the loss wouldn't have been prevented by his presence alone we will have a bad taste in the mouth about it. Lets say he shows up the last day of training camp and again it takes him 2-3 weeks to go full speed again. That's costing the Rams in a pivotal season in which our schedule is tougher and our conference opponents got better. Smh.

A person has all the right in the world to ask for a raise and even be unreasonable about it but at some point you have to put the game on the same level as the money. Right now Donald seems to be putting money ahead of the game and this team. What does that tell me? Dude doesn't give two shits about the Rams. Whatever happens with this, his reputation has taken a hit.

• 3 / 3
30 posts Mar 28 2024