8 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/M ... ssion.aspx

The California NFL Reconnaissance Mission

Tim McKernan posted on October 26, 2015 00:00

The California NFL Reconnaissance Mission

OAKLAND - I was born in 1976 and with the exception of my time at The University of Missouri and nine months in Little Rock for my first TV job, I’ve spent all of my life in St. Louis. I’ve had opportunities to leave for other TV jobs, but I’ve always decided to stay.

I love my hometown.

It’s a unique region…with some traits that manage to be both good and bad simultaneously.

One of the elements of the St. Louis Metropolitan Area that I love is that so many of the people who live here have grown up here. However, with that can come a lack of an infusion and/or acceptance of outside ideas. If there’s little need to leave St. Louis, then there’s little opportunity to see the rest of the country and the rest of the world.

I’ve been reading Dethroning The King: The Hostile Takeover of Anheuser-Busch, and one specific part of the book stood out to me: when executives at Anheuser-Busch first realized they were being bought, they were stunned…even though there were signs of vulnerability that had been brewing---unfortunate pun---for years. The author quotes a source saying that they were caught off guard because many of the executives thought the sun rose and set north of I-44 and east of I-270.

While other breweries has expanded their global reach during the previous decades, Anheuser-Busch stayed focused on what had been working and didn’t evolve…didn’t adapt. And, then…boom…a company they actually had a chance to buy years earlier bought them.

The part of Dethroning The King struck me as a metaphor for the recent issues facing St. Louis, an unfortunate and unpopular truth for parts of the region.

Blame the blacks. Blame the whites. Blame the city. Blame the county.

Fingers pointing into a leadership vacuum.

The region is at a critical fork in the road. A significant moment on the timeline of The City of St. Louis is approaching…and that moment could have a major impact on where the region goes into the future.

It is likely that within the next 90 days, we will find out whether or not we are losing our second NFL team in 30 years.

I don’t view this as just a sports story. Certainly, at its core, it’s about where a group of athletes play a game.

But, from a broader perspective, it’s a story about St. Louis…where we’re going…where we

are…and how we got here.

Bottom line: it’s the most important sports story I’ve ever covered…because it’s the sports story that will have the largest impact on my hometown.

It’s a euphoric feeling when the Cardinals win the World Series. It’s a community event of happiness. And there’s a region-wide depression that sets in when their season comes to an end…especially in October.

But a World Series win…a playoff loss…while significant in the moment and for our memories as fans, it does not have the kind of impact on the region that losing an NFL team could and would. And, on the other hand, it does not have the kind of impact on the region that the area snatching victory from the jaws of defeat could and would have…should St. Louis keep the Rams.

And since the story is so impactful, I want to get as much information as possible and form my own opinions on not only the various scenarios that could play out…but also whether or not some of the moves that would need to be made are truly in the best interests of St. Louis. I want to talk to the people involved in this story locally…but also where the Rams could be moving…and where other teams could be leaving.

Therefore, this week, I will be meeting with and interviewing as many people in California involved in this story as possible.

As of right now, I will be meeting with and interviewing Inglewood Mayor James Butts Tuesday. He is also scheduled to give me a tour of the proposed stadium site.

On Wednesday afternoon, I will be meeting with and interviewing Chargers’ special counsel Mark Fabiani in San Diego. That evening, we will speak with fans at the Chargers’

town hall meeting.

And on Thursday evening, we will be in Oakland for the Raiders’ town hall meeting.

Suffice it to say, I have a number of calls and emails into a variety of other owners/executives/politicians, and if/when they make themselves available, we will make sure we do whatever we can to speak with them.

I will be writing each day on insideSTL.com, and I will be calling in to CBS Sports 920. We also will have video posted on insideSTL.com, and I will be periscoping throughout the trip.

I want to be able to give you a chance to see and hear what the people---both the executives and the fans---of Los Angeles, San Diego, and Oakland have to say.

Going into this, I can tell you that my mind is not made up on any of it.

I want what is best for my hometown…but I am not 100 percent sold that a new stadium is the answer. On the other hand, I am not 100 percent certain that a new stadium is a mistake.

I write that so that you know where I’m coming from.

I also don’t know how this is going to turn out. But, I hope to return to St. Louis with a better idea of the positions of the people in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Oakland.

Considering the secretive nature of this story, I’m aware that this reconnaissance mission may provide a complete and absolute zero when it comes to material that would give us insight into what is going on in California and its potential impact on St. Louis. However, you’ve got to shoot to score, and this story is too important to not give it a shot.

If you have any questions, comments, or whatever, you can email me at tmckernan@insidestl.com.

by SoCalRam78
8 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1086  
United States of America   SoCal
Pro Bowl

I'm sure this guy will report how awesome the landfill looks.

by Hacksaw
8 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Slick writer, hot topic, in depth vacation to Cali, reporting first hand what he sees.
Can't comment 1st hand on Oakland but they have a great base and ESK relocation monies couldn't hurt their stadium chances via NFL.
Carson I know something about having been there and go by frequently. Tims Carson report I (and bubba) will be interested in reading. Nothing to see there.
Inglewood, looks well under construction of the original scope of work, not the stadium. I'm certain that will be highlighted.
And all this positive news in StL. This is their last high point (if you can all it that). This is going to prevail until the climax. Both parties right at the edge of exploding then,,,, Boom! Ladies and Gentlemen, we would like to introduce to the new Los Angeles Rams.
Sorry Tim... no happy ending.

by Stranger
8 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   Norcal
Superstar

I grew up in SoCal, but spent several years living in StL during the 80's. I really like StL... I like the people, the strong mid-western values, the small town feel with lots of big city attractions. Losing its 2nd NFL team in 30yrs is going to hit that community hard. I don't envy those folks one bit, and have great empathy for what they're going to go through.

by The Ripper
8 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   494  
United States of America   Naples, FL
Starter

SoCalRam78 wrote:I'm sure this guy will report how awesome the landfill looks.

McKernan has been pretty fair in his reporting. The video from the Carson site was pretty interesting and it can be replayed on his periscope page.

by Hacksaw
8 years 4 months ago

All those "materials" they talked about, (mounds of dirt) are not there for the stadium even though they driver is implying that it is.

by Hacksaw
8 years 4 months ago

BTW, Nice SUV, upholtery coming down, dirt on the dash. First class all the way.. lol

Funny thing, as ugly as the surface is the real ugliness is under the surface.

• 1 / 4
37 posts Mar 28 2024