1 post
  • 1 / 1
 by AvengerRam
5 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Here is a breakdown of how long the Rams currently hold the rights to their starters.*

*I included 12 offensive "starters," including 3 WRs and 2 TEs (no FB), and 12 defensive "starters" including the nickel CB. I've have not included any rookies, who I will address below.

Six Years
RB Todd Gurley
WR Brandin Cooks

Five Years
P Johnny Hekker

Four Years
WR Robert Woods

Three Years
QB Jared Goff
WR Cooper Kupp
TE Gerald Everett
ILB Mark Barron
OLB Samson Ebukam
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
SS John Johnson

Two Years
OT Andrew Whitworth
C John Sullivan
TE Tyler Higbee
DL Michael Brockers
CB Aqib Talib
CB Marcus Peters
PK Greg Zuerlein
KR Pharoh Cooper

One Year
OG Rodger Saffold
OG Jamon Brown
OT Rob Havenstein
ILB Cory Littleton
DL Aaron Donald
OLB Matt Longacre
DT Ndamukong Suh
FS Lamarcus Joyner

So, what does this say about the Rams "window"?

I'd say we're in great shape for at least 2 years, possibly 3 years. Looking ahead to 2019, Donald isn't going anywhere (he'll either be signed or franchised), and we can afford to lose guys like Jamon Brown, Cory Littleton and Matt Longacre (we may have their replacements already among the 2018 rookie class). Rob Havenstein is a guy I'd like to keep, but if Noteboom is not going to be Brown's replacement, he could potentially slide in at RT. I'm hoping Saffold will come back on a cap-friendly deal.

The two guys who could be problems for 2019 are Suh and Joyner. Suh may very well prove to be a luxury we can't afford for more than one year, but we'll have to see on that one. Joyner is a guy I'd like to keep, and he could be a franchise candidate again if Donald is locked in long term.

The 2019 draft may very well be used to prepare for the potential departure of some of the "2 year" guys such as Whitworth, Talib (who could be an interesting short-term option at FS if Joyner departs), and maybe Brockers. Peters (assuming he behaves) will likely be a top choice to lock in long term.

After the 2020 season, when Goff is due a new contract, we'll probably have to make some big sacrifices, so continuity could be tough (depends a lot on the next two drafts).

All in all, though... this looks pretty darn good to me.

• 1 / 1
1 post Mar 29 2024