475 posts
  • 27 / 48
 by PARAM
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12181  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Too low an offer by whos calculation..?

Let's say Donald gets 24 million. What does that bring Goff 3 years from now, particularly if the Rams offense remains one of the top 5 over that span? And who would blame him if he holds out for close to 40 million, as chief operator of that offense? Whew, that cap better get close to 300 million!

by pmill66
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   152  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Pay the man, he has earned it, and will continue to earn it.
Rams will need to draft well going forward, those rookie contracts will be very valuable with the upcoming cap hits of Donald, Goff, Gurley, Cooks and others. Nice problem to have, paying players instead of finding players.

by Hacksaw
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

PARAM wrote:Let's say Donald gets 24 million. What does that bring Goff 3 years from now, particularly if the Rams offense remains one of the top 5 over that span? And who would blame him if he holds out for close to 40 million, as chief operator of that offense? Whew, that cap better get close to 300 million!

Exactly my point. I'm pretty sure the Rams know what they can/should afford and it's likely not as much as AD's camp wants. No cap, no problem. But there is a cap and several contracts due to be renegotiated in the not so distant future...

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Let's say Donald gets 24 million. What does that bring Goff 3 years from now, particularly if the Rams offense remains one of the top 5 over that span? And who would blame him if he holds out for close to 40 million, as chief operator of that offense? Whew, that cap better get close to 300 million!

But all the evidence indicates (2nd) contracts don't work that way. Chances are Goff will be asking for what the market is indicating for qbs the year he comes up. Chances are Rams won't offer anything much less and he wouldn't ask anything much more. Chances are it won't be a situation where JG goes "but AD held out and got 24 M." It will probably be a situation where both sides are going "x amount is the market for qb 2nd contracts this year." AD's name won't even come up.

In terms of 24 M for AD, to repeat some things just for the sake of being clear, whether he gets that or something close to it again most likely has to do with the market for his position, which in his case is probably the unofficial (but real) "best defender" category, and those guys previously (Watt and Suh and Von Miller) got around 80% of the top qb's money the year they signed. It's just that right now that's probably around 24 M. (And I don't know if that's what he'll end up with but I think it will be around 22-24 M). (Which yes I think they can afford under the cap.)

Again though either way, chances are nothing they do with AD will have anything to do with Goff negotiations. They will probably get that one done just like Cooks and say this is the qb amount this year (WRs on 2nd contracts in 2018 were getting around 16 M, qbs in 2018 were getting around 28 M).

Hacksaw wrote:Too low an offer by whose calculation..?

Just looking at how contracts work. We know 2nd contracts go up annually, so IF the Rams were offering 20 M, then, that's not in keeping with how contracts go up---Von Miller getting 19 M 3 years ago should lead to more than just 1 M more now. It would be the same as if they offered Cooks 12 M, which is what WRs were getting in 2016. That would be too low for a WR in 2018. And Cooks most likely wouldn't sign for that. So it would be low based on calculations like that. So while we're all just guessing here, that's what I base my own guesses on.

I just assume that both sides are moving toward a compromise, and chances are it won't be as low as the Rams initial offer, or as high as AD's initial demand.

by Elvis
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

max wrote:So I think what you're saying is that if Donald signs this later this week for 24M it will be totally a coincidence that Jake reported it today.

And now that he hasn't, what's your take?

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

RamsFanSince82 wrote:Downtown Rams@DowntownRams

The two sides are still working on what is a very complex contract. It seems very likely we were off by a week but either way “It’s getting done.” It’s getting done before week one of the season.

Fwiw VB has said some similar things, though he's on the more cautious side.

Every indication is, they are working on getting it done.

Vincent Bonsignore from a chat at theathletic.com:

I expect Donald to be back by the end of the preseason. Whether it’s under a new deal….not sure yet. Obviously there is ground to be made up. They are talking, and both sides are motivated. That’s always a good sign

Vincent Bonsignore@VinnyBonsignore
Absence of information leads to speculation. Doesn’t mean it’s accurate. What we do know: Both sides want to make a deal and there is on-going communication to make it happen. But a gap remains in compensation number. My sense? This all comes to a head last week of August.

Vincent Bonsignore@VinnyBonsignore
Also #Rams Sean McVay on Aaron Donald situation: “there’s increased dialoge. There’s more…we feel positive about the direction that these things are going. I think there’s a level of urgency that’s being displayed from us.”

by max
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:And now that he hasn't, what's your take?

Honestly, my take is that Jake got information from someone he knows connected to the Rams and it turned out to be premature. In Jakes defense, he used the word "expected", he didn't say "will happen." There obviously were hang ups in the numbers (my guess is the guaranteed money) that caused this thing to get hung up. I think the Rams were hoping things were closer than they were when they came out and said that same area code, zip code stuff.

So Jake did jump the gun on reporting this thing was expected to happen sooner than it did.

Still in the balance is when this thing does get done and for how much. Right now only Todd France knows for sure when Donald will sign. They are haggling over something thats keeping this thing from being done already.

I will be totally shocked if Donald isn't back before the season starts.

I will add one more thing. I met Jake at the Giants game last year. This kid is a high energy pitbull, he's non stop Rams. Digs into everything. He's had a lot of Rams related people on his podcasts including Vinny, and many Rams players, as well as national guys like Charles Davis. He's very young and raw, but he does know people inside the Rams organization and snoops around like a spider.

What I do think is unfair is that guys sitting at their keyboard who have never put in anywhere near the effort that Jake puts in are blasting him unmercifully. Jake adds a million more times value than his critics.

by Elvis
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38376  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I like Jake, i especially give him props for going to and covering the Senior Bowl, that kicked ass.

But his idea of what constitutes news needs some work.

The Rams didn't announce a uniform switch and Donald didn't sign last week for $24 million a year.

I want him to share everything he knows and hears but maybe be a little more select about what he considers breaking news. And yeah, i get it, he's trying to build his brand and this is probably working...

by max
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5579  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I like Jake, i especially give him props for going to and covering the Senior Bowl, that kicked ass.

But his idea of what constitutes news needs some work.

The Rams didn't announce a uniform switch and Donald didn't sign last week for $24 million a year.

I want him to share everything he knows and hears but maybe be a little more select about what he considers breaking news. And yeah, i get it, he's trying to build his brand and this is probably working...

I hear ya, and I had some private texts with him suggesting that he be more careful. The kid is learning, but he's also pushing hard. He told me he needs to move to LA to get closer to stuff.

I still go back to that Irv Pankey interview that he did. The kid has talent, he just needs time.

• 27 / 48
475 posts Mar 28 2024