475 posts
  • 24 / 48
 by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:eh? who said anything about spotrac projecting nfl annual caps?

To clarify. If the Rams do things as they have been doing them, they will extend Goff in 2020 but the new contract will not start until 2021. That just means they have until the 2021 cap before they have to account for all of the 5 big-contract players they have (Goff, Donald, Cooks, Gurley, and probably Peters). That's doable because the 2021 cap is projected to be 220 M.

For 2021, they already have Cooks, Gurley, and Woods under contract, plus this year's draft picks. All that combined leaves (so far) about 168+ M in cap space in 2021 to handle everything else.

If they do Goff that way, then before 2021 they have to account for Donald and Peters (and again of course, Cooks and Gurley are already signed). The cap space in 2019 is (according to OtC) 58 M, and in 2020, it is 117+ M.

That;s just a lot of cap space to work with, even considering the kind of big money it will take to keep this core of 5 players.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

NFL Network’s Cynthia Frelund breaks down by the numbers just how much Los Angeles Rams defensive end Aaron Donald brings to the team, and how many season wins she believes he’s worth when he’s with the team.

EDIT ... no link, vid was taken down

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Alden Gonzalez@Alden_Gonzalez
Don't really get the sense anything is imminent between the Rams and Aaron Donald. They might be closer in numbers, but it doesn't appear like they're close enough for either side to give in. The staredown continues.

It's funny how stories are framed. I think the DTR tweet about a quick resolution is coloring reports now. So why is this nothing "imminent," or a "staredown," and about someone giving in? How would anyone know that either way? So it just sounds like Alden is just reacting to the DTR narrative.

Meanwhile, there's as much grounds to put it this way as that way: they keep working, both sides in tough negotiation but in movement toward compromise, it's clear from all reports Donald wants to be a Ram and the Rams want Donald, it's a process, no quick resolution in immediate sight but they are getting closer.

Based on knowing very little, that way of framing it is possibly AS true as-- if not truer than--Alden's...and it relies on the exact same (limited) info.

by snackdaddy
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I imagine Hammond is being sarcastic. I think it gets done eventually but I don't expect it to happen during camp. Of course I know as much as everyone else. Nothing.

by rams74
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1460  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote: it's clear from all reports Donald wants to be a Ram

Can you expound on this a bit? From where I'm sitting, I'm not at all clear that Aaron Donald "wants" to be a Ram. It's apparent that if the Rams meet his demands that he's willing to be a Ram, though even that isn't entirely clear. As for what he wants? How do you know this?

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I imagine Hammond is being sarcastic. I think it gets done eventually but I don't expect it to happen during camp. Of course I know as much as everyone else. Nothing.

Hammond is being sarcastic but he's not making a prediction. He's just being sarcastic at the expense of DTR, which had a tweet claiming the deal would be done this week. Gonzalez is also goading DTR, to the point where everything he says is just aimed at undermining DTR.

To me that means Gonzalez (then Hammond) aren't saying or predicting anything, they're just both getting in jabs at DTR.

You can just as easily take the info we all have (which is the same info Gonzalez and Hammond have) and forget about DTR and just report that both sides are working on a deal and getting closer. Actually that's kind of there, but buried, in Gonzalez. Beyond that, Gonzalez has no real basis for calling it a "staredown." That's just him jabbing at DTR and the idea that it will be done this week.

Gonzalez sounds the same to me now on this as he did last summer on Goff. Back then he said I will say positive things about Goff when he actually does something. Which of course turned out not be very insightful on his part--the people who saw Goff making strides were right on that, he wasn't. Now what I see is just him repeating the same kind of sour attitude, but it just happens to be about the AD talks.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:Can you expound on this a bit? From where I'm sitting, I'm not at all clear that Aaron Donald "wants" to be a Ram. It's apparent that if the Rams meet his demands that he's willing to be a Ram, though even that isn't entirely clear. As for what he wants? How do you know this?

They wouldn' t be making progress in negotiations if he didn't.

And no I do not see a situation in the info we have that he's just sitting there making demands that must be met. It doesn't seem to me that's any more true than the claim that the Rams have a low offer and refuse to budge. There is no real basis for saying either thing. Each statement is just an assumption and the newest info (that they're working it out) works against both those assumptions.

All reports, even the more pessimistic ones, have them working, making progress, compromising, hammering something out. You don't have that kind of situation if neither side is budging.

by majik
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1199  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

I get the sense that a deal is almost done, except that Donald doesn’t like training camp and will sign as late as possible while giving himself enough time to be ready for Week 1

• 24 / 48
475 posts Mar 29 2024