475 posts
  • 17 / 48
 by TomSlick
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2907  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

I'm thinking Donald didn't like sitting in last year's opener. This time around with the opener on MNF, he'll report much earlier. Ditto for Mack. Prime time TV isn't something these RAMS are familiar with.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6758  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:If the DTR numbers are right about the APR, I’ll put myself on a season-long timeout for negative comments toward ZN.
Caveat.. That needs to be 24 including *this* year.

It can't be this year and never was going to be. They don't have enough cap space and he's already getting 7 M, and they can't cram 24 M into that. Chances are they do it exactly the way they did with Cooks--the extension is an add-on and really starts next year. All they can do with this year's cap hit is adjust it a bit--he didn't get 16 M this year. Same thing with Gurley. He didn't get 15 M this year--they fiddled with his 2018 numbers but the extension is an add-on that really starts next year. So for example Cooks goes from a 5.4 M hit in 2018 to 15.2 M in 2019, and Gurley goes from a 7.2 M hit in 2018 to 9.2 M in 2019 and then 17.2 in 2020. It will just be the same kind of thing with Donald.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:My point was about the total value starts with this year, not the structure, when it comes to the APR.

Total value can't start this year. It didn't with Cooks or Gurley either. Cooks got a 16 M a year deal, but that starts next year. Add this year to it and it's less than 16 M. Same kind of math with Gurley.

Let's say AD signs a 4 year, 96 M deal, at 24 M a year. That starts next year. If you include this year, to get to 24 M a year, the extension would have to be for 113 M at 28+ M a year. Which was never going to happen.

Not going to argue about it though. You can think what you want. But from my perspective, there's a reason Cooks's deal is universally described as 16 M, when it wouldn't be that much if they included this year in doing the math. It's 16 M...starting next year. Otherwise it's not a 5 year 81 M dollar deal, it's a 6 year 87 M dollar deal coming in at 14.5 M a year.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I think Dick's talking about the average, including this year in the average...

I know.

And it;' s not done that way.

Which is why you never see anyone refer to Cooks's 6 year 14 M a year deal.

It's a 5 year, 16 M deal starting in 2019. Same kind of math with Gurley.

What makes it work for the players is the front-loaded guarantees. Cooks may only make 5.4 M this year, but he has heavy guarantees in the first few years of the new deal. So the money is coming either way.

by /zn/
5 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Dick's not allowed to look at it how he wants?

I already said this: "You can think what you want."

But I look at it how I want too, and in my case I am following how these things are reported in official accounts. So for example, look around and what you will read is that Cooks's deal is for 5 years at 16 M a year and starts in 2019. That's just the press following the Rams lead on how they report the contract.

by Elvis
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38381  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

/zn/ wrote:I already said this: "You can think what you want."

But I look at it how I want too, and in my case I am following how these things are reported in official accounts. So for example, look around and what you will read is that Cooks's deal is for 5 years at 16 M a year and starts in 2019. That's just the press following the Rams lead on how they report the contract.

I get you but he's talking about a self imposed ban, seems like he should be able to set his own terms...

by aeneas1
5 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

$24m would make him the 8th highest paid player in the league based on 2018 average salaries, right behind andrew luck and ahead of the likes of tom brady, aaron rodgers, russell wilson, ben roethlisberger, phillip rivers, to name a few... of course average salary rankings will look a bit different next year when his deal kicks in.

• 17 / 48
475 posts Mar 29 2024