13 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by safer
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I know there is not a lot to learn about the guys running around in shorts, but what were your impressions of his movement skills, technique, and ability to learn? I haven't read squat about him yet.

by Hacksaw
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I've heard nothing.

by aeneas1
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:I know there is not a lot to learn about the guys running around in shorts, but what were your impressions of his movement skills, technique, and ability to learn? I haven't read squat about him yet.

really glad you posted this, i've been wondering about a lot of these guys too... in fact i was going to start a similar post about ramon richards, he seems like a sweet kid who overcame a lot of odds, he was recruited by harvard and yale, just seems like a winner.

anyway, @dick84 is great at this stuff, knowing the skinny on these guys, hopefully he'll weigh in - actually maybe a sticky that talks about these guys would be a good idea, dick84 do you want to take the lead?

by RamsFanSince82
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

There was only 2 or 3 of the OTA's that were open to the local/NFL media. I don't recall seeing any of the media saying anything about Noteboom or almost any of the other rookies (other than Lawler).

In April, left tackle Joseph Noteboom was one of over 400 college prospects eager to make his dreams a reality by becoming a professional athlete. Now eight weeks later, a lot has changed for the TCU product.

Not only was he selected by the Rams in the third-round of this year’s draft, but he has also completed his first set of OTAs in the NFL — marking a significant transition for the 22-year old.

“[It was] pretty awesome,” Noteboom said. “The main difference has been being on your own. You’re not babied as much, so you have to be more accountable and responsible. But you learn quick. It’s the NFL — you do everything you can to stay here.”

The three-week session was the left tackle’s first taste of playing in the league, something he says has been “pretty on par from what I thought” heading into it. And although the Rams’ high-speed offense is admittedly more detailed than his college scheme, Noteboom has been fortunate to learn from a talented group of linemen.

Last season, the club’s offensive line was ranked among the best in the league and features one of the top tackles in the game in Andrew Whitworth. As he did in 2017, the 13-year veteran has made a point to take the younger players under his wing.

“He’s really a laid-back guy, but really experienced,” Noteboom said. “He has these little details he can tell you about that no one really knows [and] he’s so willing to help us. It’s not like a waste of his time, he’s glad to help. Usually he comes up to us and tells us stuff.”

But it’s not just the mentorship from the older vets that has surprised the rookie tackle. For Noteboom, one of the most exciting aspects of OTAs was getting to observe and learn from head coach Sean McVay.

“I knew he was a good coach from what he did last year, but seeing him, he knows every position — their “I knew he was a good coach from what he did last year, but seeing him, he knows every position — their

techniques, their footwork, everything like that,” he explained. “Just really impressed with him and seeing in person what a great coach he is.”

And now that Noteboom has a feel for both the coaching staff and roster, he is hopeful that during the rest of the offseason his progress will come more steadily.

“Just knowing the playbook front to back and knowing exactly what to do, so I don’t have to think about it so much,” Noteboom said of his offseason goals. “Just work on my technique from here on out.”

by RamsFanSince82
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5851  
United States of America   So. Cal.
Hall of Fame

Here's a draft profile.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joseph-no ... 0c69ebbff9

Here's some of the info. from the draft profile that's linked.

Noteboom was a lean and athletic honorable mention all-state pick from Plano, Texas before signing on with the Horned Frogs. The three-time All-Academic Big 12 pick has not missed a game since redshirting the 2013 season. He played as a reserve in 2014, then took over the right tackle spot for all 13 games as a sophomore. Noteboom moved to the blind side for 2016, starting every game and showing agility in pass protection that NFL scouts admire at the position despite growing into his frame. Big 12 coaches voted him honorable mention all-conference as a senior, as he started all 14 games at the left tackle spot.

Overview
Noteboom flashes the technique, hand usage, and athleticism you want out of the position but he doesn't do those things with enough consistency. His inability to gain and secure positioning as a move blocker is a concern as is his consistency as a finisher in running game. Noteboom was one of the tackles who flashed at the Senior Bowl in one-on-one drills and had a great workout at the Combine. The tape says day three, but his work during the "draft season" should get him drafted on the second day with a chance to become an early NFL starter.

Strengths
Has an NFL frame with room to pile on more muscle
Has adequate dip and scoop hip flexion to create leverage as a drive blocker
Does a good job of working hip-to-hip on double-team blocks
Hand strength is solid
Can latch onto defender's jersey with his hands to help him ride out the block
Runs feet under initial contact for improved sustain as run blocker
Comfortable quick-setting on top of edge rushers
Shows ability to hasten pass slide rather than using cross-over footwork to catch rushers at the top of the arc
Can pass set with good posture when he wants to
Good athlete in space
Leads the charge when asked to pull and is comfortable handling screen blocking duties

Weaknesses
Prolonged tape work offers plenty of inconsistencies in performance
Technique slips when matched against power
Will lean and engulf with wide hands in pass pro
Rushers who ramp up speed-to-power are a problem for him
Wide hands open his frame to stab moves that walk him into quarterback's face
Fails to gain early ground in kick-slides
Opens outside hip early in pass sets giving rushers a much softer edge to attack
Needs to play with faster hands and a more efficient punch
Takes inefficient paths to easy wall-off blocks allowing defensive ends to slide inside his block
Inconsistent getting to his lateral blocks

Sources Tell Us

"I was disappointed when I finally sat down and studied him. I couldn't find that one thing that I really loved about him and he looked a lot smaller than his listed weight when I watched the tape. I think he has a lot of work to do." - NFL offensive line consultant

by ramsman34
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8463  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

We are going to have to wait until the pads come on in camp. And, early in camp is where we will see who might actually be looked at as going on the active 46/53. Then preseason will tell the rest of the story. Can't learn too much about rookies from OTAs, frankly.

by 69RamFan
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   3164  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

This is the best that I can come up with on our three drafted rookies, two Tackles and OLB.....

From the shorten Videos from the Senior Bowl 2018

North team Offense
65 Demby (You should see him starting at the 2:30min mark)

31 OO (You should see him starting at the 0:40sec mark) Didn't put any more videos on him because this posting was about Noteboom.

South team Offense
68 Noteboom (You should see him starting at the 8:55min mark)

If you magnify the screen you'll get a better look for each player.

NoteBoom vs SMU 2017

NoteBoom vs Baylor 2016

Jamil Demby (I know its only the FCS league but like this kid a lot, He shows no quit in him)

In my eyes both of these tackles shown some good technique, and very mobile to get into the second level to block down field or to pull.

Both need upper body strength, it could take a couple of years to get to that level... in the mean time, I say the both of them will be kept on the 53 man roster as backups until they grow strength into their bodies to start.

And we have some of the best front D-Linemen they can get plenty of practice from them...

by ramsman34
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8463  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Noteboom will get a chance to compete at swing tackle. I wouldn't get your hopes up. He needs a year in an NFL weight room, a year of NFL coaching/experience, and to learn how nasty you really have to play at this level. Allen is the guy who will make the most of training camp and probably be the primary interior backup on game day. We only carry 7-8 OL active on game day: 5 starters, 1 G/C back up, 1 swing tackle, perhaps 1 true back up center (Blythe). Judging by our total inexperience at LB, I think they will carry more LBs and only 7 OL come game day. Just a hunch on my part.

by snackdaddy
5 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9631  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I'm sure we'll see plenty of him in preseason games. We'll get a better feel for his progress then. We'll just have to wait.

• 1 / 2
13 posts Mar 28 2024